U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-25-2012, 06:55 PM

2,797 posts, read 2,392,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
Great news! You no longer have to choose--Portland is now IN Oregon!!! (Jk, got your point.)
HA HA HA...yep, lived there...Ill verify that LOL
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 01:20 PM

710 posts, read 342,534 times
Sacramento is not a bad place overall; many neighborhoods are quite pleasant. But I have noticed a certain disappointment among many in the area. I think the disappointment comes from those of us who were priced out of the Bay Area (or to a lesser extent out of the Southern California area), and who came to Sacramento originally for the home they could buy here that they could never buy there, or the for transfer to the satellite facilities of an electronics or aerospace firm for whom they work (or once worked)--or both. And there are a good many of us. Many people here wish they were somewhere much more expensive, but settled for living here.

To this day, in burbs like Roseville, it is a common conversation starter with new neighbors to ask, "What part of San Jose (or the larger Bay Area) did you come from?"

So you get a lot of "frustrated exiles" who still make weekend trips back to friends and relatives closer to the Coast or Bay, and who still are wistful about the places from which they came. Or even super-commutes, although frankly unless your job in the Bay Area was *really* lucrative, that becomes expensive in both time andm oney and tedious and soon a comparable if not so lucrative job is found here.

This cuts across class or political lines, from the lefty Midtown dwellers who are San Francisco wanna-bes when they aren't San Francisco exiles, to the centery or righty Roseville or El Dorado Hills dwellers who are exiles from the pricey South or East Bay burbs.

Last edited by NickB1967; 06-29-2012 at 01:38 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 02:09 PM

A follow up note--California's Pacific coastal climatology is such that there can be great differences in weather in a relatively short distance, like between San Francisco and Sacramento. A small mountain range or a cold offshore ocean current in otherwise "sunny and hot" California will result in an often tremendous variation in state weather.

San Francisco and vicinity dwellers typically do not have air conditioning. They do not need it. The fog keeps SF mild in the summer, and sometimes even downright chilly. Meanwhile Sacramento dwellers 100 miles inland swelter on the very same day. Money in this state allows people to buy themselves not only bigger houses and better scenic views, but even better weather.

Compare this to say for example, the difference between Topeka, Kansas' state capital, and Kansas City. A drive of an hour or two does not change the summer or winter weather in such a region. People are not priced out of Kansas City and they do not dwell in Topeka and supercommute for affordable housing. The richest neighborhoods there have no better weather than the poorest ones.

So there is an element of "weather envy" in California that you don't see in most other places.

Last edited by NickB1967; 06-29-2012 at 02:34 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 03:55 PM

1,201 posts, read 765,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post

To this day, in burbs like Roseville, it is a common conversation starter with new neighbors to ask, "What part of San Jose (or the larger Bay Area) did you come from?"

This cuts across class or political lines, from the lefty Midtown dwellers who are San Francisco wanna-bes when they aren't San Francisco exiles, to the centery or righty Roseville or El Dorado Hills dwellers who are exiles from the pricey South or East Bay burbs.
This might be true sometimes, but it's a point barely worth making. The question in my opinion is whether one tends, overall, to like the people they come across in their life in a city. I think that puts Sac above most other cities. Frustrated or not about their lot in life, they seem to be less frustrated when I meet them and when they're driving (very friendly city for bikers, for instance).

Old 06-29-2012, 06:26 PM

312 posts, read 245,251 times
My step dad just came back from a 10 day long vacation of Sacramento. He says he loves it there. He is now thinking about retiring there instead of his other choices of Memphis, TN and Atlanta, GA. The weather was in the 90s when he was there too, and that's what he wants. A change of scenery and weather from western WA. Hes a California type person anyways, even if hes from the south, lol.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:13 PM

7,196 posts, read 7,526,454 times
I suppose some of us relate to the "Bay Area exile" thing more than others. "Weather envy" is an old thing, dating back from when the only way to beat the heat was jumping in the river, but air conditioning mitigates that somewhat. Although I can't imagine anyone not enjoying the weather we had over the past week, no matter where you're from.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:35 PM

424 posts, read 425,033 times
There is a difference between weather and climate. While I loved the weather we had this past week, the weather we had this past week isn't representative of the weather we normally would have in the last week in June. When you are buying a place its usually more useful to look at the type of weather we have on a normal day in a normal year (the climate) than the weather.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:48 PM

7,196 posts, read 7,526,454 times
At least based on a quick look at Wikipedia, average high in June is 87 degrees, which is about what we had over the past week. Still not seeing a problem.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:22 PM

424 posts, read 425,033 times
Here is the weather we had the past week and the normal weather we should have expected to have on that day for the past week. The weather we had in the past week was much cooler than normal. I agree it was pleasant, but not representative of the weather we normally get for this time of year.

Friday June 22 High 72 Low 52. vs. Normal 90/59
Saturday June 23 High 74 Low 52 Normal 90/59
Sunday June 24 High 76 Low 50 Normal 91/59
Monday June 25 High 75 Low 50 Normal 91/59
Tuesday June 26 High 82 Low 52 Normal 91/60
Wednesday June 27 High 89 Low 52 Normal 91/60
Thursday June 28 High 89 Low 57 Normal 92/60
Today June 29 High 89 Low 58 Normal 92/60

Highs for the day are from the weather channel, normals for the day are from pg 12 below.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sto/CLISAC2010.pdf

Old 06-30-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
There is a difference between weather and climate. While I loved the weather we had this past week, the weather we had this past week isn't representative of the weather we normally would have in the last week in June. When you are buying a place its usually more useful to look at the type of weather we have on a normal day in a normal year (the climate) than the weather.
I should have said "Climate envy". That said, California is unique in that wealthy can buy themselves better (micro)climates in a way that they cannot in the Eastern, Midwestern, or Southern states. And the phenomenon of "super commuting" is just not so prevalent in other areas.

There is a precariousness to living in California that I don't think one finds elsewhere. People are more aware of what they now have, what they might have, and more sadly what they might have had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento