Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 7,618 times

Advertisements

long story short i left my hometown of 24 years (sacramento) to go live in phoenix, az. i have been here in phoenix for 7 months now. i never thought i would say this, but i miss sacramento. you never know what you got till its gone right? phoenix is........just too much. it is too big, phoenix reminds me of L.A........and being a typical northern california born and raised person, i am not fond of the Los Angeles area which phoenix reminds me of so much. there is a TON of traffic here in phoenix, it literally takes you 45 mins to get anywhere. the weather here is overrated, sunshine and heat 24/7 gets a little old, not to mention not being able to go outside simple because it is just too hot.

so now here i am, thinking about moving back to sacramento. i lived in midtown, and i really miss the neighborhood, the people, the places. midtown had this sense of community, which phoenix does not have at all. there was a variety of people in sacramento/midtown, while here in phoenix most everybody is your typical white upper middle class types or your poor working class mexicans.

the two things that keep me from packing my things right now and driving back are that the job market in sacramento sucks, and apartments are getting outrageously expensive. im worried that i would not be able to find a decent job to support myself. i was looking at apartments on craigslist, and studios, yes STUDIOS are going for a minimum of 600 dollars now in the midtown area. that is insane.

but i would love to move back if i could get housing and a job worked out. i miss the change of seasons in sacramento, the leaves everywhere in the fall, the hot humid summer nights, the foggy octobers. i miss the hustle and bustle of friday and saturday nights downtown, here in phoenix it is pretty much dead after dark.

anyways...........thoughts? suggestions? advice? thanks.

ps: i have been also looking at other cities to move to such as: seattle and denver. any info on those places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 05:47 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,111,771 times
You can't find a job and apartment in Sacramento when living in Phoenix. Depending upon what you do, hook up with a temp agency to bridge the gap until you find a longer term job. The job market here looks very good to me.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:50 PM

718 posts, read 2,680,724 times
rents are up but housing prices are down. The two always correlate. There is a huge demand for rent properties now that all these people who borrowed more from the bank than they can pay back are loosing their homes.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:29 PM

424 posts, read 2,689,142 times
Not sure what industry you work in, but from what I've read the job market in Sacramento is pretty strong compared to most of the country.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:59 AM

433 posts, read 2,349,822 times
I agree with what everyone said. Sounds like good advice and observations.

Rents will likely go up from here. 6000 homes for sale in the city of Sacramento and 4000 of them are foreclosures. I would want to get in on a rental lease soon unless I was interested in buying a home. There will be a displacement of people in this market.

The higher rents may be what puts in a bottom for the troubled real estate market here as long as interest rates don't rise.

The job market is still pretty good unless you're in loan processing/underwriting or residential construction.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:10 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,658,501 times
I moved from Sacramento 3 years ago -

could you pick me up on your way back there - I'm dying to live there again.

I also came from Midtown - but I now have school age children and Midtown SUCKS for schools...I'd have to move to Roseville - OH YEAH! NOT

I moved to Seattle, and if you don't like Phoenix - you are going to HATE it here (just like I do, Phoenix sounds like a paradise to me right now)

Seattle is WAY more expensive then Sacramento. Sure there are good jobs - but I could EASILY afford to live in Sac again - if I didn't have my kids. Living in Midtown and no kids sounds like a dream come true, I'd pay the $600 a month for a studio and think it's heaven

Old 08-10-2007, 10:49 PM

9 posts, read 52,370 times
yes come back to sac. i kno a friend who moved to la and said the same thing.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:06 PM

3 posts, read 12,119 times
Default Better than Az

Our friends are moving back from Phoenix this month. Too hot, too crowded. My sister also plans to leave Phoenix as soon as she is done with school to a cooler climate and less smog. The housing market is better but the commute from the burbs to the city was 90 minutes! Its more expensive here, but the weather is better.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:04 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,854,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I moved from Sacramento 3 years ago -

could you pick me up on your way back there - I'm dying to live there again.

I also came from Midtown - but I now have school age children and Midtown SUCKS for schools...I'd have to move to Roseville - OH YEAH! NOT

I moved to Seattle, and if you don't like Phoenix - you are going to HATE it here (just like I do, Phoenix sounds like a paradise to me right now)

Seattle is WAY more expensive then Sacramento. Sure there are good jobs - but I could EASILY afford to live in Sac again - if I didn't have my kids. Living in Midtown and no kids sounds like a dream come true, I'd pay the $600 a month for a studio and think it's heaven
Agreed - Seattle is ridiculously expensive, and has been for going on 20 years. Up until about ten years ago, Portland was relatively inexpensive, but that's no longer. Housing prices are still going up! I read a news report recently that there were only three housing markets left where prices were still increasing - Seattle, Portland and Dallas TX.

Hey CityGirl, has Seattle's summer this year been as lousy as Portland's? We get two or three days over 90, then two weeks of solid clouds and 60s/70s, then two days over 90, then two or three weeks of clouds. The sun finally came out today but we'll be lucky to struggle to 75.

I'm less than three months away from making Sac my home! I can't wait.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:35 PM

12 posts, read 51,154 times
Better than AZ or Portland- yes
We have been in Rocklin now for over two weeks and are loving it- have lived in a suburb of Phoenix and in Portland, OR. I can see why you miss the Sacramento area- we have no children, so do not have any school issues- have not seen Midtown, yet , but it sounds perfect for the younger folks.
Agree that AZ and Portland were more expensive than this area- miss family in both areas but it is a real compromize for us - having some AZ 'look' but greener and do not miss the crazy weather in Portland..Actually we spent most of our lives in Wisconsin, so the dry heat is heaven and we look forward to no freezing temps or ice in the 'winter months'! Wish we would have moved here sooner! Good luck with your move rah62- and hope you (lakesxandxtrees and CityGirl72) get to move back....

Last edited by Rose City Nurse; 08-11-2007 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: extra letter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento