U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 04:40 AM

77,177 posts, read 89,938,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
If you're in the Section 8 housing business you wont get many doctors or lawyers renting. What do you expect, anyways?
It seems like it isn't the quality of the tenents the poor guy is complaining about but the demands the tenents are making. Maybe you misread what he is saying?

Nita
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 02:05 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,563,946 times
What is the vacancy rates for rental housing in Sacramento? How does the vacancy rate in Sacramento compare with these other markets. The economy is still weak so it could be high, but we haven't had much construction in the past 5 years, so it might be tighter than I might guess. If its above 5% generally tenants have stronger bargaining power than landlords. When its below that, landlords start getting pricing power and tenants can't make as many demands.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:31 PM

5,101 posts, read 8,334,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumlord916 View Post
The hassle, I was ready for it. The demanding hit me by surprise. I dealt with section 8 renters in the bay area and it was fine.
About the house I'm renting out, it's even better than my 800K house in the bay area.
I find it really hard to believe that ANY house in the "south Sacramento + natomas area" is nicer than an 800K house in the bay area. Seriously?? Can you please post pictures so we can see exactly what you are talking about? Or give us an address?

Old 07-01-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I'm a landlord of multiples single house in bay area, San Joaquin county, and now south Sacramento + natomas area. I have a "funny" observation about renters in Sacramento. In term of income, they make the least (including unemployment). However, they demand a lot about the house even it just got remodel. A lot of them refusing running background and credit check as well. Gzz. Thank you very much. Please continue to live at their current place. I only look for regular, responsible, and not ridicules demanding renters.
In addition, as a self-called slumlord, I'd like to know what you consider a remodel.

Regarding your concern, I agree with not renting to anyone who refused a background or credit check. Those who are refusing may have foreclosed or shortsaled their home, and may be afraid their application will be rejected.

Last edited by caligirlz; 07-01-2012 at 05:50 PM..

Old 07-02-2012, 12:16 PM

409 posts, read 823,895 times
Quote:
The hassle, I was ready for it. The demanding hit me by surprise. I dealt with section 8 renters in the bay area and it was fine.
About the house I'm renting out, it's even better than my 800K house in the bay area.

800k in San Francisco would buy a SFR in a decent (not prestigious or hip neighborhood...think Sunset/Richmond/Parkside) with 3 bd/1 bath up and maybe 1-2 bd on the first level maybe with permits or illegally done. Maybe a cheaply remodeled kitchen or out of date remodel with so- so appliances. Dishwasher for the "higher end" remodels and maybe some updates such as (some windows) double pane windows so it wont be as drafty and noisy. As far as renting...it's a very competitive market. Surrounding communities offer a better selection of housing but its still expensive compared to many areas in the US. Its not uncommon to see rentals in the above neighborhoods rent for 2900 plus a month.

OTOH in Sacramento 800k would buy you a mansion compared to bay area standards. As far as rents 2900 would get you into the prestigious neighborhoods in Sacramento and vicinity (i.e Granite Bay, El Dorado Hills) in a large home (3000 sq feet plus), some with a pool, some in gated communities, etc.

Even the low end rentals in Sacramento typcially have dishwashers and double pane windows.

Two very different markets and the expectations of people would of course be different. As far as not wanting to do a credit check, etc these renters are probably looking for desperate landlords willing to take the risk of possibly having income vs the certainty of a vacant rental.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:58 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,563,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I find it really hard to believe that ANY house in the "south Sacramento + natomas area" is nicer than an 800K house in the bay area. Seriously?? Can you please post pictures so we can see exactly what you are talking about? Or give us an address?
Compare these two homes. The first is a fairly recent home 1536 sqft 3 bedroom/2bath built in 2004 in Meadowview listed for $164900.

1770 Highbridge Way, Sacramento, CA 95832 | MLS# 12040809

Now compare it with this 1058 sqft 2 bed/1 bath home in the Inner Sunset listed for $828,000

414 Moraga St, San Francisco, CA 94122 | MLS# 397469.

Now I suspect that if you just showed pictures of both homes to to people who had never been to either Meadowview or San Francisco and didn't know either neighborhood, maybe people born and raised in Maine, most would probably say that the bigger newer home in Meadowview with the bigger yard for $164,000 would be nicer to have than the older smaller home in the Inner Sunset. The quality of the house itself is nicer in the Meadowview home than in the Sunset home.

Clearly the Inner Sunset is a nicer neighborhood to live than Meadowview. I am not arguing the merits and demerits of the various neighborhoods, but I also understand the point that Slumlord916 point that its quite possible to find a home in a questionable neighborhood in Sacramento that is nicer and better maintained than a fairly expensive home in San Francisco listed for more than 5 times as much.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
Compare these two homes. The first is a fairly recent home 1536 sqft 3 bedroom/2bath built in 2004 in Meadowview listed for $164900.

Now compare it with this 1058 sqft 2 bed/1 bath home in the Inner Sunset listed for $828,000

Now I suspect that if you just showed pictures of both homes to to people who had never been to either Meadowview or San Francisco and didn't know either neighborhood, maybe people born and raised in Maine, most would probably say that the bigger newer home in Meadowview with the bigger yard for $164,000 would be nicer to have than the older smaller home in the Inner Sunset. The quality of the house itself is nicer in the Meadowview home than in the Sunset home.

Clearly the Inner Sunset is a nicer neighborhood to live than Meadowview. I am not arguing the merits and demerits of the various neighborhoods, but I also understand the point that Slumlord916 point that its quite possible to find a home in a questionable neighborhood in Sacramento that is nicer and better maintained than a fairly expensive home in San Francisco listed for more than 5 times as much.
A very admirable attempt to make your point. I appreciate it. However, I wanted to OP to respond.

One of the classic characteristics of real estate value is location, location, location. And Meadowview does NOT qualify!

Old 07-02-2012, 06:51 PM

409 posts, read 823,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post

Good point...looks can be deceiving. Having lived in the Sunset we, like most most people in the neighborhood, were looking for a safe environment (although property crime was a concern violent crime was very rare) and good public schools. However, visually most blocks in the Sunset/Parkside are very modest in appearance with some derelict homes alongside well kept homes. Anyone outside of San Francisco and the immediate vicinity, with the exception of Manhattan, would likely be in shock at what a hefty housing budget would buy (or not buy).

Old 07-08-2012, 05:19 PM

67 posts, read 195,442 times
Default Sensitive Information

Regarding Slumlord's comments about credit and criminal checks:

1. I no longer give my social security number to anyone.

I am a senior woman, alone and completely at the mercy of anyone who wants to extort from me. I don't know where landlords keep my sensitive, confidental information as hardcopies: in a locked filing cabinet?

What internet database are they using? There is so much wrong and corrupt information now, you can't trust most of it.

For example, I did a general background check on my daughter, who is 48. The internet (several known sites) show her as still being married to her fist husband (16 years ago), shows many spelling errors, can't make sense of history, etc.

So many websites are collecting court records for the purpose of setting up internet security checking businesses, that the courts now charge for the information. This is a trending business by amateurs.

Does your staff have access to those files, even on a casual basis, such as a just poppin into your office to pick up a key?

If so, do you drug test your staff or have drug testing requirements for your subcontractors?

The same is true for my medicare number.

If I show up at your office and I am articulate with personal and professional references, you should not need to violate my privacy because I will sue you if I can prove my identity was stolen from your office.

See my point?

There is no real security; I no longer live in California because the first and last month deposits and security deposits are completely out of my willingness to tie up my money, unless interest in paid to me.

In some states, the landlord is required to pay interest on deposits. Afterall, I am not a bank and I am not here to make you wealthy.

As a professional, retired accountant, I know those deposits go on a financial statement and property owners can take those numbers to a bank and borrow more money to buy more property. Do I owe you that? NOT

If you want to know something about me, I will tell you. That is the way I dealt with my landlord in Idaho. I am a grateful native of the Pacific Northwest and although Portland and Sacramento are too filled full of slums for me to feel safe. Things are working out better in this small town of Idaho on the river.

There are still places you can do business this way...

By the way, Spokane is a very civilized city...worth a serious look. Poor people are, for the most part, getting housing and medical care. The few people on the streets are seriously addicted or otherwise do not qualify for housing. There is a "no tolerance" attitude. Bus drivers (for example), if they see a gangster boarding the bus, they call for security; someone boards the bus and rides until the character gets off. Public safety is key.

But Spokane didn't allow this to get so far out of hand, like so many other cities and yes, there are problems and I am not going to have that silly dialogue with anyone. Nor am I willing to be shamed for misspellings by someone who obviously sits around and stares at their bellie (sic) button all day.

There are always better ways to do things and more important issues at hand.

Last edited by bliss61; 07-08-2012 at 05:37 PM..

Old 07-09-2012, 12:40 PM

11,807 posts, read 6,950,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post

That is not hard to believe if you are familiar with Bay Area real estate.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento