Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 01:27 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy gentry View Post
How do you know so much about Paradise if your address is "
23,949 posts, read 15,565,690 times
Obviously I'm not understanding. Thanks
Nita is a former long time California resident. Her parents lived in Paradise and she has spent considerable time there and is quite familiar with the area. She is therefore well qualified to comment on Paradise, as well as other areas of California. Her posts have been consistently helpful and informative for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 01:41 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Why does it matter? Just because someone lives in one place today, that doesn't mean they have never lived anywhere else.

I guess the poster assumes that Arkansas doesn't have people who get curious about other places. That posting makes no sense to me either.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:08 PM

107 posts, read 248,436 times
Although this isnt supposed to be about Nita, I agree with the previous poster, Nita is always informative and never unneccessarily negative on the Northern CA threads.
As per Paradise, it is a lower elevation mountain community with basic services. There are lots of trees there that help shade you from the summer heat. And the proximity to Chico is a plus.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Back on track, my oldest daughter and her family live in and love Paradise. Prior to that they lived in Sacramenmto. We were very pleased when they moved north and they have found a true home community there.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:44 PM

4 posts, read 33,281 times
"BTW, as far as the OP, IMHO " I'm sorry I don't understand what OP or IMHO mean? Thank you for the link. I have visited Paradise several times this year and looking forward to living there very soon.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:56 PM

4 posts, read 33,281 times
Default Please forgive me

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy gentry View Post
How do you know so much about Paradise if your address is "
23,949 posts, read 15,565,690 times
Obviously I'm not understanding. Thanks
I did not mean to start anything by asking that question. I was mearly asking the poster a question. I implied no other meanings. Just wanted some dialog with her. I'm new to the forum enviornment so I'll try and learn asap. My goal is to be respectful of others at all times.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Yup, I'm retired now, and the slower pace, scenery, lack of crowding and the weather here all "work" pretty well for me, as well as I've been able to afford some local repo/fixer uppers in such a down market, to turn into rentals. But no question, if I had to find a job nearby, things would look mighty different! Also, as a landlord, IMO you have to look at a LOT of applicants here these days to find a few that are even reasonably "qualified" (have a steady job, halfway decent credit, no past evictions, etc.)!!
Hello Mateo45, I am hoping that you might be able to help me out with some direction. I am looking to move to Paradise and I will be looking to rent a house, 2-3 bedroom, 2 bath, nice place where I can have my two dogs, one itty bitty guy, weighs 8 pounds and my big ole girl, about 65lbs., both housetrained and very well behaved dogs, truly more like my children! In any event, my real problem I'm afraid is going to be just exactly what you've described in your message...previously a successful attorney in private practice, I became seriously ill and was incapacitated by that illness for two years while I underwent treatment. To make a very long and sad story short, I am now permanently disabled and have lost everything, my career, my wealth, my credit and now my home. My home has just been foreclosed on and I have to move. I do have a stable income now of a disability pension benefit and Social Security Disability Benefits, but of course, all of that came too late to save my house. So after reading your message, naturally I became very concerned, not that I wasn't already, that I wasn't going to be able to find any Landlord that would be willing to rent to me. What can I do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so very much.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:53 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyochico View Post
Hello Mateo45, I am hoping that you might be able to help me out with some direction. I am looking to move to Paradise and I will be looking to rent a house, 2-3 bedroom, 2 bath, nice place where I can have my two dogs, one itty bitty guy, weighs 8 pounds and my big ole girl, about 65lbs., both housetrained and very well behaved dogs, truly more like my children! In any event, my real problem I'm afraid is going to be just exactly what you've described in your message...previously a successful attorney in private practice, I became seriously ill and was incapacitated by that illness for two years while I underwent treatment. To make a very long and sad story short, I am now permanently disabled and have lost everything, my career, my wealth, my credit and now my home. My home has just been foreclosed on and I have to move. I do have a stable income now of a disability pension benefit and Social Security Disability Benefits, but of course, all of that came too late to save my house. So after reading your message, naturally I became very concerned, not that I wasn't already, that I wasn't going to be able to find any Landlord that would be willing to rent to me. What can I do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so very much.
Well, no offense, but re: what current "life is like in Paradise", your story is not atypical of a lot of folks around here these days!

That said, you could sign up in Chico for the Section 8 waiting list, and if you have at least first and last month's rent, and could perhaps afford a pet deposit for your dogs that would be more "persuasive". And having some past references always helps, in lieu of decent credit.

Basically, just put yourself in a landlord's place. Say you've got several applicants, and how would you go about choosing the one that seems most likely to pay the rent on time, not become a nuisance to the neighbors, and not damage the property? And BTW, what "insurance" do you have in case any of those falls thru?

So just be persistent, especially as some landlords are more "motivated" or else less "picky" than others. And don't hesitate to give all the property management companies a try either. Their business is to keep properties rented, and that's how they make their money. And their standards may sometimes be a bit more "loose" than renting directly from the owner (which is also why I manage my own stuff). Good luck!

Old 08-19-2011, 07:51 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradlywhite View Post
There are lots of trees there that help shade you from the summer heat.
One of the attractions of Paradise are the many lovely trees that seem to be almost everywhere. However, on viewing them have had an uneasy thought. Fire. What would happen if they caught on fire and spread, driven by high winds? The 2008 fires during which parts of the town was evacuated received news coverage nationwide, as well as in California, and heightened awareness of this threat. Civic leaders and the fire department are surely aware of the danger, but planning and preparation can only go so far. The chance of a major fire within the city limits is remote, and should not dissuade anyone from moving to or living in Paradise, but natural disasters do occur from time to time.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:37 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,506,734 times
I was born in Paradise and it is one of the nicer communities in NorCal. That said, it has changed a bit in the last ten years or so. The home prices can be a good bit cheaper than a similar home in Chico and it is starting to take on more of a younger, renter based populace. The population of the town really hasn't grown in the last 20 years though. Its not as bad as my town, but I was at my mom's house just last week and she was watching the evening news. There was a story about a crime even in Paradise (can't remember what it was now) and mom commented "You know, it seems like there's more and more crime up there. I'm always seeing it on the news".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento