U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-19-2011, 12:13 PM

164 posts, read 181,281 times
My wife and I are currently in escrow buying a home in Paradise! We've been in Chico for the past few months checking the area out. Because my job is in Chico and because Chico's a neat town, that was our first choice...but we couldn't find a home in our price range (150K ish) that was what we wanted.

So up the Skyway we went (and what a drive that is!) to Paradise. Paradise is hard to pin down because, unlike Chico, neighborhoods are more spread out and homogenized if you know what I mean. It's hard to say...that neighborhood is nice, avoid that one...etc. The house we're buying is west of the Skyway close to Billie Park (Great park, BTW!). The entire area over there looks very nice, from Oliver to Wagstaff. By nice I mean that people seem to take basic care of their home and yard.

The Paradise/Magalia has various degrees of Forest to fit your needs too. Want more evergreens/snow? Try Magalia and Upper Paradise. Want more sun? The "Bannana Belt" of Paradise exists off of Neal Road and Foster Road in Lower Paradise. I'm in the middle..with a nice mix of evergreens and deciduous trees...with enough sun to get a garden going.
I've been able to get involved in Chico's civic activities, but I haven't seen much of Paradise's activities. Once we move I'll do some research on what's available. I did see that they had a nice looking Rec Center.

After traveling around much of California... It's hard to find a Forested community so close to a somewhat thriving city center (Chico) that also has most of the essential services you want (Hospital, Grocery, Garden, Tool, Fire, Police) right in town. Scotts Valley near Santa Cruz comes to mind. Maybe Lake Arrowhead/Running Springs? (Skyway's much easier than the 18 or 330) Guerneville near Santa Rosa?

And as for fire, I'm getting one of these! RPM EZ Handrake
Made in Paradise! Defensible Space is important.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 03:05 PM

76 posts, read 78,974 times
I agree with BeauCharles about Paradise, but not his hometown. Again, I live here in Oroville, and see things all the time in the news. But it is no more then any other city in any other State. The problem with Oroville is that it is populated by the very same human beings that populate the rest of known civilization. Some are bad, some are good. We are a much larger city than our city limit population says we are. Within the city limits is 15,000 people, Just outside of the limits is 45,000 more, so in statistics, we have the crimes of 60,000 people showing up in a "city" of 15,000. Add to that the thousands of people who come here to enjoy the lake...

Old 09-05-2013, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 932 times
I lived in Paradise in the 80's (as did my grandparents who are now buried there, my mom and sisters- all in other areas now) and found it a pretty and tranquil place to live....I currently live in Illinois and am considering moving back but am concerned about the number of sexual offenders living in the area (50 plus) and the gang problems I've read about in Chico which is very depressing.....I am a single, 48 year-old female with a menagerie of pets and would be looking for a pet-friendly rental and a teaching job at one of the area colleges, plus transplanting my therapy practice......I am looking for peace and quiet and natural beauty......what do you think?

Kelli

Old 09-06-2013, 04:51 AM

47,264 posts, read 37,235,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfultz View Post
I lived in Paradise in the 80's (as did my grandparents who are now buried there, my mom and sisters- all in other areas now) and found it a pretty and tranquil place to live....I currently live in Illinois and am considering moving back but am concerned about the number of sexual offenders living in the area (50 plus) and the gang problems I've read about in Chico which is very depressing.....I am a single, 48 year-old female with a menagerie of pets and would be looking for a pet-friendly rental and a teaching job at one of the area colleges, plus transplanting my therapy practice......I am looking for peace and quiet and natural beauty......what do you think?

Kelli
Kelli, don't let some of those stats scare you away. My parents lived there for many years, my step mom passed away a year ago yesterday and had lived there until about a year before she died. It really hasn't changed that much in 30 years. It is still the same size, a lot of seniors, but younger people as well love it, and the rents are manageable compared to many places in CA, Chico being one to them If I moving back to CA I would look at Paradise before anywhere else. Remember, as much as most of us hate the thought of sex offenders and I certainly am not supporting them, there are people listed as sex offenders that probably shouldn't be. There is a thin line between what who is and is not a sex offender. I young man can have sex with a 16 year old and he is 19, if she decided to report this a rape, he could be listed as a sex offender. Chico might have some gangs, again, many places now days do. Even here in conservative, little old NWA we have a gang problem.

Paradise is still peaceful, beautiful, with lots of nature and still close to shopping, dining and decent medical. It is sorta like where we live, here in NWA, a great combination of rural and urban. I am using the term urban loosely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento