Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:33 AM

491 posts, read 1,261,529 times

Advertisements

After years of Aerojet and Boeing contaminating ground water in Rancho Cordova by dumping solvents and other chemicals in wells and landfills, Sacramento County accepts 35 million dollars to settle Rancho Cordova ground water contamination suit.

Aerojet, Boeing agree to $35 million settlement for Sacramento County groundwater contamination - Environment - The Sacramento Bee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 11:20 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
So who gets the money? The city? Or the residents affected by the contaminated ground water?

Old 04-22-2012, 01:03 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
According to what the story states, the county would get the money as compensation for having to mitigate the problem.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:19 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
According to what the story states, the county would get the money as compensation for having to mitigate the problem.
Yes and the companies are still on the hook for 100mil to the EPA for the continuing cleanup. 250years. Wow.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:58 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Yes and the companies are still on the hook for 100mil to the EPA for the continuing cleanup. 250years. Wow.
It makes me wonder, with all of the questions we get here about Rancho Cordova and the rendering plant, is the area really unsafe due to ground water?

A 27-square mile swath of groundwater underneath and around the former aerospace facility is polluted with several compounds, including very high levels of perchlorate...a known developmental toxin.

Aerojet, under the direction of the EPA, is to contain the underground plume to prevent it from spreading into nearby rivers and streams. Future plans will also treat groundwater within the site’s boundaries.

Central Valley Business Times

While it is nice they are keeping it from spreading, what about the stuff they've built over the past 5 or 6 years, is it on a toxic site???

Old 04-22-2012, 07:54 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
It makes me wonder, with all of the questions we get here about Rancho Cordova and the rendering plant, is the area really unsafe due to ground water?

A 27-square mile swath of groundwater underneath and around the former aerospace facility is polluted with several compounds, including very high levels of perchlorate...a known developmental toxin.

Aerojet, under the direction of the EPA, is to contain the underground plume to prevent it from spreading into nearby rivers and streams. Future plans will also treat groundwater within the site’s boundaries.

While it is nice they are keeping it from spreading, what about the stuff they've built over the past 5 or 6 years, is it on a toxic site???
Things that make you go hhhhhhmmmmmmm

The WWII era industries that built this country are really the worst.

We have the McCormick Baxter Creasote Superfund site here in Stockton at the Port. Actually its one of two the other one is Sharpe's Arny Depot. Two within 1 mile of each other.

Good lnfo on the others in your area.

List of Superfund sites in California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-22-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:

Notwithstanding the paltry settlements, whether $35 million or $200 million or whatever (they are not even close to paying for the damage done), it does make one wonder at least in some of the areas like Anatolia.

One also has to wonder about the long term effects of this junk so far as cancer, etc.

I personally know people with babies and small children who bought in Anatolia who knew NOTHING about the groundwater problem because their Realtor never told them, nor did they ever sign a disclosure acknowledging that they were informed about it despite the fact that the information was out there, although many people not familiar with the area may not have known about it. These folks were outraged when they found out after they had bought and moved in.

I also personally think this is one issue that just keeps getting swept under the cloak of various interests.

Anatolia and the other subdivisions in "New Rancho" will always have this issue hanging over them and I do feel sorry for the people who bought out there without getting the facts.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:41 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
And people wonder why environmental review is such a big deal...

Old 04-27-2012, 11:44 PM

409 posts, read 957,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPlumber View Post
Notwithstanding the paltry settlements, whether $35 million or $200 million or whatever (they are not even close to paying for the damage done), it does make one wonder at least in some of the areas like Anatolia.

One also has to wonder about the long term effects of this junk so far as cancer, etc.

I personally know people with babies and small children who bought in Anatolia who knew NOTHING about the groundwater problem because their Realtor never told them, nor did they ever sign a disclosure acknowledging that they were informed about it despite the fact that the information was out there, although many people not familiar with the area may not have known about it. These folks were outraged when they found out after they had bought and moved in.

I also personally think this is one issue that just keeps getting swept under the cloak of various interests.

Anatolia and the other subdivisions in "New Rancho" will always have this issue hanging over them and I do feel sorry for the people who bought out there without getting the facts.
I'm a homeowner in Anatolia and the disclosures were extensive in covering various potential issues such as the rendering plant smell, geologic exam of soils, noise from the Cordova Shooting range, Mather air traffic, as well as groundwater contamination. It wasnt hidden... its all there. According to the disclosures during the planning of the community the groundwater would have served as the water source. However, due to the concern with contamination the water source for Anatolia was changed and is derived from the North Vineyard pumping station which is miles away from the community and piped into Anatolia (the Vineyard area is a large unincorporated area of Sacramento County roughly south of Jackson Highway to the Elk Grove City limits). It's interesting that plenty of cattle are grazed directly over the contaminated areas and thus far havent heard of negative impact on the meat supply from these cattle. Wildlife in the area does not seem to have been impacted and generally changes in wildlife precede health problems in humans.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u225615 View Post
I'm a homeowner in Anatolia and the disclosures were extensive in covering various potential issues such as the rendering plant smell, geologic exam of soils, noise from the Cordova Shooting range, Mather air traffic, as well as groundwater contamination. It wasnt hidden... its all there. According to the disclosures during the planning of the community the groundwater would have served as the water source. However, due to the concern with contamination the water source for Anatolia was changed and is derived from the North Vineyard pumping station which is miles away from the community and piped into Anatolia (the Vineyard area is a large unincorporated area of Sacramento County roughly south of Jackson Highway to the Elk Grove City limits). It's interesting that plenty of cattle are grazed directly over the contaminated areas and thus far havent heard of negative impact on the meat supply from these cattle. Wildlife in the area does not seem to have been impacted and generally changes in wildlife precede health problems in humans.
Maybe you got the disclosure, but I have personal knowledge that other homeowners did not. It may be that they started doing it later. If I had been informed of the things you say you were set forth in your disclosure, I would never buy in Anatolia. I really don't know of many people who would, but I guess some people just don't care about their health.

If you look at a satellite view on Google maps of the Aerojet property, you can see the how close it is to Anatolia. Even if they pump drinking water in from somewhere else, I wouldn't want to trust my health to having a contaminated water table that close to me. And I personally think that what we are informed about environmental dumps is probably not the whole story.

Last edited by ElectroPlumber; 04-28-2012 at 01:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento