Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,013 times

Advertisements

I am looking for recommendations on online bsn programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 03:08 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
At first, I didn't think that was possible, given the hands on nature of nursing. Looking at google astounded me that there was even one.

My wife has a BSN and an MSN from USF, which is why your post caught my attention. Even though you can get the classwork done online, you probably will end up being a better nurse if you go the bricks and mortar route.

Good luck! It's a great profession.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:18 PM

370 posts, read 1,564,762 times
There are advertisements right where your question is posted. Yes there are online programs. You want to make sure they are accredited so that they can certify you to the California State Board of Nursing in order to take your test. Additionally, most states require a certain number of documented hands on training. That can be a difficult requirement to meet as most places don't like the possible liability issues so, you are better off attending a school (even a community college) that has an existing agreement with a local facility. It's a lot easier to get your ASN to BSN from an online college. In the meantime you can be working, sharpening your nursing skills and providing financial resources. Be aware that there is a movement underfoot to require a BSN in order to obtain a nursing license (or continue to work as a nurse)!

Old 09-04-2011, 05:36 AM

48 posts, read 123,316 times
Default Hi Nightnurse

How are the nursing job prospects in Sacramento? Hoping nurses are treated better there than in FL. Bless you for working nights, I presume you do. Could never sleep during the day.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:44 PM

370 posts, read 1,564,762 times
Hi, JG. Yes, I work nights. It is difficult to work nights and it messes with your internal system pretty good but, I only work three nights a week. Mostly it's just the weekend so my husband is around to make sure the kids don't set fire to the place! Room darkening shades are important. In the old days we didn't have any 5-hour or energy drinks so, I made sure I had a busy schedule! Those rides home in the morning are a killer, though! As I said in my OP, I do not work in the Sacramento area but followed a HUC who left Phoenix for Sacramento. I can only imagine how nurses in FLA are treated. AZ has a large geriatric population, too. I know how cranky my husband is!!

Old 09-08-2011, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,013 times
Thanks for all the advice! I did a lot of research which turned out to be a full time job within itself. I called many schools and even visited the ones that were in my area. I started my accelerated rn to bsn and so far it is going well and I am very happy that I was able get started so soon!

I don’t think a brick and mortar school or an online school plays a factor in being a better nurse. It depends on you the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento