U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-19-2011, 03:35 PM

424 posts, read 464,293 times
Rancho Cordova is part of the Folsom Cordova School district. The schools in the Folsom part of the district are excellent. But Rancho Cordova is more of a blue collar town, if you were an auto mechanic or a tow truck driver, Rancho Cordova is they type of community where you might look to find housing. The area has a lot of first generation immigrants. The schools in the Rancho Cordova part of the Folsom Cordova district aren't very good. Cordova High has a problem with gangs and the elementary schools feeding it aren't very good. So unless you live in Folsom, you want to avoid the Folsom Cordova School District.

Anatolia is part of the Elk Grove School District. While Anatolia is a little off in the boonies, (not much retail nearby), the schools in Anatolia are going to be better than the schools in Rancho Cordova. Anatolia is nicer than Rancho Cordova, but its not really posh. Its the type of place that if you were an elementary school teacher, you might be able to find a relatively new home.

Then there is Gold River. Gold River is more posh. Its the type of neighborhood where Doctors, Lawyers and Dentists live. The schools here are going to be better than Anatolia or the rest of Rancho Cordova. Its nice because you live next to the American River Bike Trail and there are additional bike trails throughout the development. The schools here are excellent.

Something to consider. When people like me talk about Gold River being a nice place to live, generally we are referring to an area East of Sunrise Blvd and North of US 50 where the local elementary school is the Gold River Discovery Elementary School. See school attendance map attached below. This is the area you want to look at.

http://www.sanjuan.edu/files/filesys.../GoldRiver.pdf

Because the zipcode for Gold River also includes parts of Rancho Cordova, you also have Realtors listing homes these Rancho Cordova homes as though they were in Gold River, despite the fact that your kids won't go to good schools in Gold River.

Given that you have a family of 6, you, your husband and your four children, I suspect that while Gold River and Folsom are nice, with excellent schools you may need more space than what your budget will allow in either Folsom or Gold River. Your better bet is probably going to be Anatolia, Fair Oaks or parts of Carmichael and possibly parts of Elk Grove.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 11:36 PM

191 posts, read 201,520 times
Anatolia / Kavala Ranch area is not bad, but its new and not much retail. Gold River is very nice but pricey HOA's. If you can afford it try Folsom. Its not that far away. Folsom is a nice town with plenty of retail, activities and its "well maintained".

Old 09-24-2011, 08:55 AM

42 posts, read 75,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
The thing you have to remember about Gold River is that back in the early 80's thru the 90's when it was being developed, everything from Rosemont all the way to the folsom border was unincorporated. So everyone shared similar county services and used the same park district ,etc.

The hoa's are what help pay for landscaping, the athletic center, club house, pools, parks, private security, roads, all that stuff that the county can not provide. The gold river k-8 school is really good. As is Rio Americano high school.

The biggest adjustment for the OP will be dealing with the culture shock. Sacramento is a long way from small town Wisconsin, hell it's a long way from Milwaukee. You have to keep your city smarts/ guard up at all times, even in nice areas. Nice areas in California usually mean low violent crime, not low property crime.

A little precaution can go a long way. And deterrence can go even further. By precaution I mean shedding habits that may be normal in the midwest. Things like leaving your garage door open for extended periods of time, valuables in the car, or your doors unlocked, or leaving accessible windows open when you are not home are no-no's in sac, even in upscale areas.

By deterrence I mean things like car alarms, home alarms, yard dogs, and in some cases guns. The first two seem to be the most common while the latter two seem to be more common in less safe areas.
Thanks for the concern NorCal Dude. We understand the change and are ready for it. My husband is originally from Brooklyn, NY and we have stayed there for a couple of months so we know what we are in for. Those are just sacrifices you have to make if you want to live in a bigger city with more opportunities.

Given that you have a family of 6, you, your husband and your four children, I suspect that while Gold River and Folsom are nice, with excellent schools you may need more space than what your budget will allow in either Folsom or Gold River. Your better bet is probably going to be Anatolia, Fair Oaks or parts of Carmichael and possibly parts of Elk Grove.

What school district are Anatolia, Fair Oaks, Carmichael and Elk Grove? Are they any good?
What does public transportation look like in Folsom and these other areas too?

What about Roseville? How is that area?

Last edited by redhotcrystal; 09-24-2011 at 09:37 AM..

Old 09-25-2011, 02:53 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,491,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotcrystal View Post
Thanks for the concern NorCal Dude. We understand the change and are ready for it. My husband is originally from Brooklyn, NY and we have stayed there for a couple of months so we know what we are in for. Those are just sacrifices you have to make if you want to live in a bigger city with more opportunities.

What school district are Anatolia, Fair Oaks, Carmichael and Elk Grove? Are they any good?
What does public transportation look like in Folsom and these other areas too?

What about Roseville? How is that area?
Ah okay so your husband is from Brooklyn. Well then I guess you probably won't need a lecture on street smarts. Brooklyn practically invented street smarts.

I can understand about needing more space for a family of 6. For a family of 6 there is not much bang for your buck in those places (folsom, gold river).

Anatolia schools feed in to Elk Grove schools I think. I'm not sure but I heard Anatolia is right near where some of old testing at the base was done so they might have issues with pollution. Plus Elk Grove is a bit of a hike. Not any public transit there maybe a bus route if you are lucky.

Elk Grove is hit or miss. The southern and older parts are not as nice as the northern newer parts. Schools seem to correlate this. Very diverse, with some really high scoring diverse schools like Franklin High (which outscores the roseville high schools). Kind of a hike to Rancho. Public transit = bus.

Carmichael is hit or miss. It's suburbia built mainly in the 60's and 70's. Lot's of nice ranch homes,tree lined streets long time residents, retirees. On the bad side there are some really seedy apartments and a lot of rental scarred properties. Bus routes for transit.

Fair Oaks is nice, 1960's -80's suburbia. A roseville of yester year. A bit more compfy middle class/ slightly upper middle class. Pretty nice, not as much of an empty nester feel as Carmichael. Bus routes for transit.

Biggest problem for Carmichael and Fair Oaks is the San Juan school district. Due to declining enrollment it seems that schools are closing or boundaries are getting redone. They have a lot of good schools and good open enrollment schools (anyone in the district can go). It just takes a lot of dilligence. Often times parents do not have the time, energy, or resources to find the information.

Roseville is a great choice. It is affordable like Carmichael and Fair Oaks. It is the main shopping destination of the Sac metro. It has buses but also amtrak offers a couple of coummter trains into Sac (it goes all the way to San Jose). Schools for the most part are excellent. It is about a 40 min drive or so down Sunrise BLVD. into Rancho Cordova during Rush Hour.

Overall I would have told you to check out Roseville first if I had known you were considering it

Old 09-25-2011, 03:00 PM

29 posts, read 25,718 times
I wouldn't choose Folsom. It's very condensed and the drivers/people here are obnoxious. It's high-stress and everyone looks it. I'll post more later.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:05 PM

Shelato, this was a great post. Which of these areas would you say is better if one is considering a high school other than Folsom High? Thanks for your input.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:11 PM

424 posts, read 464,293 times
Assuming you are a family of six where money is an issue and you need to maximize space while limiting money spent on housing, then I would look at Anatolia and Mira Loma areas.

If you were looking for fairly new housing, I would probably look at Anatolia. Most of the housing there was built in the past 10 years, the schools are reasonably strong. If you were more interested in school quality then age of the housing stock, I would probably be looking at something in the Mira Loma High School attendence area, there are excellent elementary schools in that area like James Cowan and Mission Avenue Open School, either Arcade or Winston Churchill for intermediate.

On a price per sq ft basis, Folsom and in the parts of Gold River with the good schools are going to run you 150 to 200 sq/ft. In Anatolia or the Mira Loma areas you are looking at housing prices more likely 100 to 125 sq/ft.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:46 PM

2,086 posts, read 1,172,708 times
I lived there for about a year and I found that, like other Sacramento areas, RC is mostly good. However, the area east of Mather Field Rd. along Folsom Blvd. can get spicy-dicey on weekends.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:59 PM

191 posts, read 201,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
I lived there for about a year and I found that, like other Sacramento areas, RC is mostly good. However, the area east of Mather Field Rd. along Folsom Blvd. can get spicy-dicey on weekends.
Anatolia and Kavala Ranch are so far and away from the old Rancho area I almost don't even consider it Rancho Cordova. I just want to make that clear because people who don't know that area may get scared off by such comments.

Yes there are old areas of Rancho down coloma or near Folsom that can be a little seedy at night. Those areas, however, are pretty far away from the Anatolia/Kavala Ranch area. Heck Gold River is closer to that area than Anatolia/Kavala Ranch.

Kavala Ranch is more between the outer edge of Elk Grove and next to Folsom. In a couple years, Folsom will build homes on the south side of 50. You can almost envision how the area near Kavala Ranch will meet with the development on the south side of 50 in Folsom. Keifer into Grant Line road etc. The Anatolia/Sunridge area Douglas into Grant Line road etc.

Last edited by webdev; 10-05-2011 at 12:07 AM..

Old 10-11-2011, 10:16 PM

If you don't mind me asking, where in Rancho did you live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento