U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:40 AM

4 posts, read 9,769 times

Advertisements

Hello.

My wife and I are debating a move to Sacramento from Tampa Florida.

I've been told the best places to live are east of the city. The wife and I love the outdoors, and would prefer to live out in the burbs/hill country. I don't mind a decent commute, but I don't want to live in the car. I'll be commuting to UC-Davis Medical Center.

Is there a lot to do for the outdoor enthusiast?

I'd be curious to here from others that have made the move to Sacramento from Florida.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 10:14 AM

23,606 posts, read 30,097,853 times
Never lived in Florida although my wife did and would never go back. She's originally from Sacramento and I spent my last 18 California years there (native of SoCal).

Sacramento, because of its location, offers plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities. There are many parks, the city itself is quite walkable, there are walking-hiking-horseback riding trails along the American River and other areas. That river and the Sacramento River as well as close-in lakes present good venues for water sports. It's just a hop-skip-and jump from the Gold Country foothills and the Sierra Nevada with Lake Tahoe, Donner Lake, Lake Truckee and the Truckee River all within an easy drive. There's also good skiing in season, hunting and fishing.

You won't want for things to do outdoors.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:47 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,340,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Diver View Post
Hello.

My wife and I are debating a move to Sacramento from Tampa Florida.

I've been told the best places to live are east of the city. The wife and I love the outdoors, and would prefer to live out in the burbs/hill country. I don't mind a decent commute, but I don't want to live in the car. I'll be commuting to UC-Davis Medical Center.

I'd be curious to here from others that have made the move to Sacramento from Florida.

Thank you.
The eastern suburbs of Sacramento such as the Roseville/Granite Bay area or the Folsom/El Dorado Hills areas are very beautiful. They are also set in the Sierra foothills so they are only about an hour and some change from Lake Tahoe.

You will not be wanting for outdoor activities to do. Sacramento is a very outdoorsy city, and unlike the other major California cities, our backyard is literally the great outdoors. You can find true wilderness along with urbanity here.

Sacramento is truly a diverse place and you will find something for you here no matter who you are.

There was another poster going by the name of Doctor Rain who was posting here and had relocated from Tampa. He seemed to prefer Sacramento to Tampa but he was also a racial purist and was disgusted with the interracial integration here in Sacramento. Unless you share the same extremist racist and social views, you would probably not find the racial integration and generally peacable racial relations here an issue.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:26 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,096,977 times
Sacramento is a nice place to live.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:57 PM

13,746 posts, read 23,090,766 times
Quote:

We can keep you pretty busy out here:

LocalHikes - Hikes and trails near Sacramento-Yolo, California

Sacramento Valley Cycling

American River Rafting | California River Rafting | California White Water Rafting

Lake Tahoe Ski Resorts | Lodging, Vacation Packages & Deals | Ski Lake Tahoe

Old 10-10-2011, 08:22 AM

Excellent. Thanks for all the information.

It's a hard decision because we really enjoy Florida.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:56 AM

230 posts, read 624,056 times
Quote:
Excellent. Thanks for all the information.

It's a hard decision because we really enjoy Florida.
We also don't have a Hurricane season

Old 10-10-2011, 05:01 PM

Yeah, but you do have earthquakes.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:22 AM

660 posts, read 822,827 times
I don't think sacramento has ever experienced a major earthquake. I have lived here 25 years I have felt 1 earthquake, and that was the big 1 in 1989 and I'm pretty sure it was only mildly felt here and didn't cause any damage.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:38 AM

13,746 posts, read 23,090,766 times
Quote:
Yeah, but you do have earthquakes.
No, the earthquake risk is much greater in areas around San Francisco and Los Angeles.

A lot of folks think all of California has the same earthquake risk, and that isn't true.

http://calteches.library.caltech.edu/190/1/mapping.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento