U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 08:04 AM

8,184 posts, read 21,517,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
The days of needing to fly out of SFO have long since passed with the last two decades. It would be silly to drive all the way down there.. for what? Maybe to catch a non-stop to Asia; but in that case you would simply fly down there to make that connection, instead of driving.

Even if you wanted a non-stop to Europe, you still really don't have that many options out of SFO compared to bigger hubs. You might as well fly east non-stop from SMF and make your connection at bigger hubs with more connections like Chicago, Atlanta, JFK, and Dulles. The last few times I flew to Europe, I made my non-stop connections out of Minneapolis, Seattle, Chicago and Dulles.
Yes, SMF has come a long way, but as someone who has been flying out of and into SMF for roughly 30 years now, it still does not offer the amount of service that SFO does. And for the size of the Sacramento metropolitan area, it should. SFO is serviced by more airlines, offering more flights, and more direct flights. On top of that, it is almost always cheaper to fly into/out of SFO than SMF. Sure, it is more convenient to leave out of SMF and connect in SFO, but once you go through security, get on the plane, and deplane at SFO--you could have drove there in the same amount of time and been at your gate. Long-term parking at SMF is, what, $9 a day. It is $15 a day at SFO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 02:26 AM

4,285 posts, read 4,277,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Yes, SMF has come a long way, but as someone who has been flying out of and into SMF for roughly 30 years now, it still does not offer the amount of service that SFO does. And for the size of the Sacramento metropolitan area, it should. SFO is serviced by more airlines, offering more flights, and more direct flights. On top of that, it is almost always cheaper to fly into/out of SFO than SMF. Sure, it is more convenient to leave out of SMF and connect in SFO, but once you go through security, get on the plane, and deplane at SFO--you could have drove there in the same amount of time and been at your gate. Long-term parking at SMF is, what, $9 a day. It is $15 a day at SFO.
Yes, I agree the Sacto Region is clearly large enough to have an airport with the kind services you want like more flights to more destinations. But it really does have a good share of non-stops to the big hubs all around the country. Terminal B was built so it can handle larger aircraft, more flights, more non-stops, and more passengers. The new Terminal B has better and much more modern facilities than the old Terminal B.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Even SFO does not have non-stop and/or direct flights to smaller cities around the country; you still need to connect at a hub airport. Also, don’t always assume SFO is going to be a better deal than SMF. When you use certain travel search engines that look at ALL the flights available on ALL airlines, you usually can find a flight out of SMF that comes close to SFO prices and sometimes you can beat the SFO price.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:05 PM

Yes, I like SFO too, especially the International Terminal food options, and they have private airline club lounges, but that is definitely not enough for me to make that long 100 mile drive in heavy traffic, pay a ton in gas, and a $6 Bay Bridge toll.

After returning from a long trip; the last thing I want to do is drive 100 miles; I want get home as fast as possible.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Born and raised in Sacto, and even though I moved away many years ago, I still fly into/out of SMF once or twice a year. SMF was always a small-market airport, with most "serious" travelers opting to fly from SFO. But, SMF has long been in need of an update/revision.

I flew out of Terminal B two months ago....not one problem. Then again, I did catch the red-eye.

Compared to other major metropolitan airports, SMF is still the most hassle free...based on what I have dealt with.
The only reason why I would drive to SFO is to catch a non-stop flight to Asia, and I would not park there, I would have a friend drive me.

In my book, “serious travelers”, as you put it, do not drive 100 miles to catch a flight when you have good options only 12 miles away.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:30 PM

4,576 posts, read 7,531,997 times
Yea I would never use SFO unless going to Asia. If you are going east a lot of times you have to lay over flying out of SFO anyways. Sac is really good for catching a flight to LA or Vegas and service to other cities is much more limited than other places but it is decent enough.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:04 PM

26 posts, read 54,262 times
I agree with OP regarding the food choices in new B. I flew with my 8-year old daughter the first week it was open- promised her a CinnABon which is gone now. She was bitterly disappointed as only a little kid could be; that was on me as I didn't even consider the food choices would be reconfigured.

My only other complaint is it's a very long walk now from baggage claim to the economy parking shuttle pickup. If you're loaded down with bags anyway

It's purdy though.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double edge View Post
I agree with OP regarding the food choices in new B. I flew with my 8-year old daughter the first week it was open- promised her a CinnABon which is gone now. She was bitterly disappointed as only a little kid could be; that was on me as I didn't even consider the food choices would be reconfigured.

My only other complaint is it's a very long walk now from baggage claim to the economy parking shuttle pickup. If you're loaded down with bags anyway

It's purdy though.
That's funny. I used to be addicted to those things (cinnabon) and looked forward to getting one whenever leaving from Terminal A, until one time it made me sick, all that sugar I guess. Next time, take another airline leaving from Terminal A, then you can get your Cinnabon, Cinnabon is still in Terminal A; it never left.

You've got to joking about the walk from baggage claim to the pickup spot; its right out the door. Have you been to many other airports around the country? That walk is the shortest walk I've ever experienced compared to any other airport.

Last edited by Chimérique; 11-06-2011 at 08:03 PM..

Old 11-09-2011, 05:14 PM

13,743 posts, read 22,988,919 times
Well, we just had our first experience with the new airport terminal, flying out to another state on Southwest Airlines last week and returning today.

Didn't care for it too much.

It seems like a big empty glass cube.

First observation is that the path to the ticketing and baggage check in counters wasn't very easy to understand. We came in on a shuttle from remote parking, and the escalators to the ticketing windows didn't seem like they were near the entrance door. Nor do I recall seeing much in the way of signs pointing to the escalators taking you to the ticketing level.

Once at ticketing, the back to back layout is a bit confusing, you need to walk around a bit to find out which airline is located where. Southwest was kind of hidden in the back from the point you exit the escalator.

Once returning, the information pointing out which side of the terminal to exit for long term parking wasn't well marked either.

Overall, it was a decent looking small airport terminal, but very exaggerated in interior space for what it actually does, and with poor signage.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Well, we just had our first experience with the new airport terminal, flying out to another state on Southwest Airlines last week and returning today.

Didn't care for it too much.

It seems like a big empty glass cube.

First observation is that the path to the ticketing and baggage check in counters wasn't very easy to understand. We came in on a shuttle from remote parking, and the escalators to the ticketing windows didn't seem like they were near the entrance door. Nor do I recall seeing much in the way of signs pointing to the escalators taking you to the ticketing level.

Once at ticketing, the back to back layout is a bit confusing, you need to walk around a bit to find out which airline is located where. Southwest was kind of hidden in the back from the point you exit the escalator.

Once returning, the information pointing out which side of the terminal to exit for long term parking wasn't well marked either.

Overall, it was a decent looking small airport terminal, but very exaggerated in interior space for what it actually does, and with poor signage.
I'm sure once you've been there a few times or more, especially if you are a regular user, you won't have any trouble finding anything.

Now you know where the Southwest ticket counter is located; it's behind you after you exit the escalator!

Ten years from now during the holiday rush when SMF is serving 17 million passengers a year , you may actually appreciate the open spacious design. There are many new airports with a similar design across the world.

Would you rather that the interior space be closed-in, lower ceilings, no natural light with little room between you and that big fat guy and his 5 pieces of luggage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento