U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-21-2012, 12:49 AM

471 posts, read 712,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Folks, let's take the personal stuff out of this exchange. After all, valid opinions exist on both sides of the discussion.
I agree and have specifically declined to respond to comments about my credibility from the poster who also has attacked shelato.

We should be able to post our opinions and experiences without another poster attacking us implying that we are lying about our statements and that the rest of the forum should disregard our credibility. It is fair to point out where we disagree with a poster without implying that they are a liar.

It is also fair to point out when we agree with a poster and I agree with shelato that the crime in Rancho is a continuing problem. As I stated above in my earlier post, the triple homicide of the kids occurred just two streets over from where I live. I am not so concerned about someone taking a shot at me in Rancho as I am getting caught in the crossfire or being the "innocent bystander".

The folks who used to live next door to me moved after their home was burglarized and essentially trashed in the process. The wife was so traumatized that she couldn't hardly sleep in the house any more. They moved as soon as they could. This was one of three break-ins that occurred within six months and within five houses of where I live.

I still say that the area I live in is pretty ok for Rancho, but I also contend that people considering moving here need to know that this is not Roseville or Folsom. We should be able to post our experiences and opinions without being attacked like we are liars.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 02:21 AM

409 posts, read 387,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPlumber View Post
I agree and have specifically declined to respond to comments about my credibility from the poster who also has attacked shelato.

We should be able to post our opinions and experiences without another poster attacking us implying that we are lying about our statements and that the rest of the forum should disregard our credibility. It is fair to point out where we disagree with a poster without implying that they are a liar.

It is also fair to point out when we agree with a poster and I agree with shelato that the crime in Rancho is a continuing problem. As I stated above in my earlier post, the triple homicide of the kids occurred just two streets over from where I live. I am not so concerned about someone taking a shot at me in Rancho as I am getting caught in the crossfire or being the "innocent bystander".

The folks who used to live next door to me moved after their home was burglarized and essentially trashed in the process. The wife was so traumatized that she couldn't hardly sleep in the house any more. They moved as soon as they could. This was one of three break-ins that occurred within six months and within five houses of where I live.

I still say that the area I live in is pretty ok for Rancho, but I also contend that people considering moving here need to know that this is not Roseville or Folsom. We should be able to post our experiences and opinions without being attacked like we are liars.
Electroplumber, The moderator is correct in reminding all that both sides have valid opinions and posts should be free of personal attacks.

You and I have had our exchanges in other posts and suffice it to say that things were posted that were unkind. But, if you want to use this post as an opportunity to finish taking a "swipe" at me well mission accomplished. You can take a deep breath, let it all out...and I hope you feel better now.

As far as future posts...

Shelato, you, and I will no doubt continue to cross paths on these forums because you all have been active posters and I am starting to be more active in my posts.

I'll continue to post my opinion about the topics of Rancho Cordova and Anatolia and surrounding neighborhoods and provide links to independent sources of information hopefully without all the drama.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:44 AM

665 posts, read 790,085 times
The part of Rancho that is nice is the part that is very close to the American River. It's pretty over there, and a nice place to ride a bike. But, if you are going to live in RC, then you need security (ie, Gold River). South of 50 has some bike trails, but it's out there where they put the county landfill and there is a gross smell a lot of the time.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:10 PM

562 posts, read 504,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by u225615 View Post
Shelato, you, and I will no doubt continue to cross paths on these forums because you all have been active posters and I am starting to be more active in my posts.

I'll continue to post my opinion about the topics of Rancho Cordova and Anatolia and surrounding neighborhoods and provide links to independent sources of information hopefully without all the drama.
Seems reasonable enough.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:09 PM

3,910 posts, read 2,631,545 times
I was doing a search & came across this info about Anatolia/Rancho Cordova (from 2011):

Job--Rancho Cordova--Where to Live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungee77 View Post
Here's the real deal: Rancho on one side is more ghetto than the other side. I have been a resident in the Anatolia community for almost 5yrs. The last 2yrs we have had quite a bit of crime in my neighborhood (burglaries in the daytime and car thefts and break ins). Schools in are not great around here. My daughter goes to a private school. Also, if you move to Rancho, plan on the worst quality water you have ever had in your life. It is a MUST you buy a house house water purification system. And Rancho is the second largest superfund site in America with all of the thanks to Aerojet and a Renderplant. Go to the EPA.org site to see for yourself. All of the ground and water is contaminated, so all of the aquifiers and wells had to be closed in 2001. If I had to do it all over again, NO WAY!!! i let my husband talk me into moving here. I have learned the hard way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungee77 View Post
Thank you for your condolences An update for you. Because of the poor water quality (sunrise/anatolia/sunridge corridor) and recent violations, that have yet to be fixed (all they do is fine the water facility), we have moved out of the area 3 weeks ago(moved to the east bay area). Our house is currently on the market. Since I have been bathing in EBMUD water my Skin is clearing up some and I am off of the antibiotics for now. If I new about ground contamination and that one of Aerojet's contamination plume (and yes, I know that they said it has been closed off, but who do you believe when the Sac county District Attorney busted Aerojet in a Lie that they weren't still dumping over at Hazel Ave, when in fact they STILL are) ended underneath Anatolia's clubhouse before hand, DEFINATELY would not do it again!!!! And all they did to the land in Anatolia is lay 5ft of top soil over the land. I don't wish anything that we have been through and are still going through on anyone. Go pay a private water company(CLS Labs 3249 Fitzgerald Road Rancho Cordova, CA 95742) to test your water, as we did, and you will receive the truth. This is a well learned lesson I will never forget!

Old 06-23-2012, 12:24 AM

Anatolia in the news this month...for those considering the neighborhood you may find this helpful...

Here's a link about the top schools in the Sacramento area...See which local areas have the most top-ranked schools - Data Center - The Sacramento Bee

Anatolia Village is home of Sunrise Elementary School (the green dot just right of the middle of the map off Sunrise labeled Anatolia Village)
All Anatolia Kids attend top schools from elementary through High School

From the Sacramento Bee 6/17/2012 here's the link...Rancho Cordova subdivision has high rate of underwater loans - Real Estate - The Sacramento Bee

Anatolia, the largest neighborhood in Sunrise Douglas with about 1,900 homes, is a vibrant and well-kept community that many residents, including some who are deeply underwater, say they have no intention of leaving.

"I'm happy with the neighborhood. The kids are safe. The neighbors are nice," said Leah Magpily, a nurse who with her husband bought a 4,000-square-foot home in 2007 for more than $600,000 and watched its value drop by nearly half. "We're going to stick it out."

A place to raise a family

Yet Sunrise Douglas has factors going for it that other communities might envy.
The median household income is roughly $93,000, much higher than the Sacramento County median of about $56,000, census figures show. The poverty rate in the community is less than 2 percent.

MOD CUT

From 2011 in response to " Rancho Cordova (Anatolia) is bad area?"

QUOTE=4AShome;20199406]I am an Anatoila resident. We purchased our home here two years ago and have been very satisfied thus far. All of our neighbors have been warm and welcoming, I'm pleased with the school district and educational programs at our school, the club house and parks are a great source of family entertainment and serve as a way to connect in our community. Exposure to diversity was very important to my husband and I in regards to our two young children, and that is what initially drew me to this area over some of the above mentioned. Some people may disagree that diversity is of value when finding an area to call home, but for us, it was relevant. Exposure to pollutants in water is available online and was not rated as unhealthy or unsafe as of early 2011. There are much older parts of Rancho Cordova that have been listed by local police departments as higher crime areas and we are limited on access to local shopping in comparisson to other communities. That was also something that appealed to us. We didn't want to be close to large shopping malls or car dealerships where there would be heavy traffic, although I admit that a closer grocery store would be wonderful to have one day! For each family/individual you have to decide on what is most important for your living needs. What works for one, might not work for the other, so do your research and find your dream home and community![/quote]

Cheers!

Last edited by NewToCA; 06-23-2012 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: copyright issue

Old 06-23-2012, 12:42 AM

Attached is an article from the Dec. 16th, 2002 edition of the Wall Street Journal. They talk mostly about the containmination at Aerojet being from a plume of rocket fuel propelent called Percholate. I attached the article for those who are interested to read up on it.

Perchlorate Runoff Flows To Water Supply of Millions: A Fuel of Cold War Defenses Now Ignites Health Controversy PETER WALDMAN / Wall Street Journal 16dec02

There was also an article in the San Francisco Chronicle that discussed the effects of Percholate. What the Chronicle article said is that the danger from Percholate comes mostly from the fact that it interferes with the function of the thyroid gland and that there is a risk in developing fetuses of causing mental retardation, but the article quoted a scientist from the EPA who said that showering in Percholate contaminated watered shouldn't be a threat because your skin acts an effective barrier, that the concern comes mostly from drinking the contaminated water.

Perchlorate Environmental / Water Pollution- Health Risks Are Clear

For what its worth, I am not entirely sure that whatever skin problems bungee77 had while living in Anatolia were caused by Aeroject contaiminating the water. On the other hand the science regarding Percholate still seems somewhat unsettled. The experts agree its a problem, but no one really is sure what is really a safe level of the chemical. Second when you live near both Mather and Aerojet there is a risk from what ever chemicals they were dumping during the cold war. In short the water may be contaminated by more than just plumes of Percholate.

Lastly for those who are interested I came across a study funded by Aerojet entittled Expert Panel Final Report.

http://www.clu-in.org/download/conta...nal_Report.pdf

Old 06-23-2012, 02:52 AM

Here's a link updated May 4, 2012 from the EPA...Superfund Site Overview Aerojet General Corp., Pacific Southwest, US EPA

Is the contaminated ground water issue limited to Anatolia,when was the problem discovered and, is it being addressed?

n 1979, volatile organic compounds (VOCs) were found off-site in private wells and in the American River in 1983. Perchlorate, a component of solid rocket fuel, was found in drinking water wells off-site above the provisional reference dose range in January 1997. The communities potentially affected by this site are Rancho Cordova, population 61,000; Carmichael, population 68,000, Fair Oaks, population 41,000, and Gold River, population 9,000. The closest residence is about 500 feet away from the site. Groundwater is used extensively throughout the Rancho Cordova area to supply municipal, domestic, industrial and some irrigation water. Public and private drinking water supply wells have been contaminated and wells contaminated above response levels have been closed. Aerojet continues to monitor drinking water supplies to assure compliance with drinking water standards. Lake Natoma and Alder Creek are nearby and are used for recreational activities. The American River is a drinking water source, which receives discharges from Aerojet's facility and groundwater treatment systems under National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits. Note the EPA further reports that groundwater extraction facilities are in operation to prevent the plume from spreading and remove the contaminants from the groundwater.

How does exposure to the chemicals occur?

Groundwater and surface water contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs) such as trichloroethene (TCE), perchloroethylene (PCE), 1,1-Dichloroethene, 1,1-Dichloroethane, 1,2-Dychloroethene, 1,2-Dichlorethane, 1,1,2-Trichloroethane, Carbon Tetrachloride, Vinyl chloride, Chloroform, and Freon-113 and other rocket propulsion waste products or components such as perchlorate and N-Nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA). VOCs are organic (carbon-containing) compounds that vaporize easily at room temperature. VOCs are commonly used in dry cleaning, metal plating, machinery degreasing, paint stripping, and as industrial solvents. Soils are contaminated with VOCs, perchlorate and metals including arsenic, beryllium, cadmium, chromium, cobalt, copper, lead, nickel, and zinc. Potential health risks include: 1) drinking contaminated groundwater, and 2) for persons with access to Aerojet property or Areas 39, 40, 41 and the Inactive Rancho Cordova Test Site (IRCTS) drinking contaminated surface water or coming into direct contact with or accidentally ingesting contaminated soils. Contaminated drinking water wells above the response levels have been removed from service.

What is the extent of Anatolia affected by the plume...(you will see that a small portion of the community is affected, much smaller in fact, than those other affected communities listed by the EPA)

Here's the link...scroll to section 3-5 http://www.msa2.saccounty.net/dwr/Zo...0/Z40_WSMP.pdf

Old 06-23-2012, 02:54 PM

The graph on page 3-5 was interesting because the pollution wasn't just from the Percholate Aerojet Plume, there were addtional contamination plumes out there from chemicals left by Mather AFB, from a former McDonnel Douglas test site (also refered to as the Inactive Rancho Cordova Test Site), and its not far from contaimination plumes from the Keifer landfill and from the White Rock Road North Dump. Remember the groundwater doesn't just stay in one place it drifts and spreads out over time and these chemical plumes will start mixing with each other creating new compounds as they interact with each other. Moreover when you are living on top of it, you are getting long term continuous exposure to these chemical compounds. It makes you wary of this entire push to put 'infill' housing on or near former industrial sites.

So thank you u225615 for bringing this map to our attention, I am sure anyone considering a home near these plumes probably will appreciate your diligence and hard work here in finding this map.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:46 PM

471 posts, read 712,835 times
There is an interesting book on Mather Airport, formerly Mather AFB, that was just published and is available at Barnes & Noble. This base has been open since around 1918 and operated during many times in our history when winning wars was much more important than worrying about environmental contamination, and rightly so.

Also, something that I'm surprised doesn't get much attention is the extensive gold dredging operations that took place on and south of the Aerojet site between 70 and 120 years ago. The tailings can be seen today from the side streets that run off of Sunrise (like Gold Dredge Way--aptly named), and are also clearly visible on Google Maps satellites.

Mercury was often used to separate the gold from the ore in mining operations. I've tried to find information about whether mercury was used on these sites in Rancho, but so far haven't been able to find out by googling.

More recently Teichert has been going back into the talings to extract the gravel. http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...08/story7.html

The point is that Rancho has a long history of environmental issues that anyone considering moving here should be aware of.

Last edited by ElectroPlumber; 06-23-2012 at 03:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento