Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 10:31 PM

11 posts, read 30,450 times

Advertisements

Hey - my son's gf is from Fair oaks and since they've been together going on 3 years and he and I both want a change we are selling the house (hopefully) and moving to the area! Been there for a visit about a year ago (he's come a bunch of times and loves it there but I've only been the one time) I stayed in and loved the Rancho Cordova area but like Fair Oaks since she is from that area and am not locked into any one specific area.

We have 3 larger dogs and a cat coming with us are probably going to rent for 6 months or so while we wait for the house to sell here and we can also scope out where would be best for us to buy.

Can anyone suggest Pet Friendly property management (we've talked to Horizon Properties a few times and they are fairly helpful). Are there apartment/ condo places that take that many animals? My dogs are old and don't need much more than the couch and occassional walk in the backyard or around the block.

Ideally we'd like a house around 1200 - 1500 sq ft, hoping to keep the rent under $1500.00. Any suggestions of good areas to look into, good neighborhoods for renting (I like it quiet, no partying, not run down and falling apart - I see many 1950's-ish remodeled homes on the market that are cute tho) so any help, suggestions, guidance etc. would be great!! It's hard doing this across the country! We've been looking to buy but since our house sale is going slower than we had hoped, we are investigating the rental idea. Thanks to anyone that takes the time to answer and guide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 10:42 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,124,753 times
I think that for your requirements you'll need to come out to the area and look around a bit.

We have quite a few properties that have been vacated by previous owners and bought by investors. You can likely find one that doesn't mind the multiple pets, and can work with you concerning occupancy.

The main problem I see for you is what to do with the pets while looking for a place, that challenge I have no idea how to resolve.

Concerning rent and properties, you should be able to find something in your price range in Rancho Cordova, Carmichael or Rosemont (just to the west of Rancho Cordova).

Old 12-09-2011, 01:59 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,792,093 times
I'm curious which neighborhoods in Rancho Cordova you liked. From what I've seen, the majority of RC is ghetto. IMO, I'd most definately should stay away from anything on or near Folsom Blvd, west of the business centers on Data Dr or off Coloma west of Sunrise.

Their are newer, nicer developments, I believe, south east of the Capital Village area (south of White Rock & east of Zinfandel). OR near & on the Gold River side of Sunrise.

Many of the apartment complexes throughout the Sacramento region suprisingly allow pets, even large dogs. Although they usually have a list of breeds they do not accept. I rarely saw the list enforced. I used to live at Iron Point at Prairie City in Folsom (they allow dogs), which is in your price range, and is a much quieter & family friendly neighorhood than RC.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:51 AM

Great info! I fortunately have my son's girlfriend who can look at potential places for me if I can't get out there beforehand to view apts./houses for rent. If I was buying as the previous plan I was going to make a quick trip out as soon as I had an offer on the house and leave my brood with my pet sitter, but I am just tired of waiting for the house to sell and so hopefully I can with some good advice and tips like above (and maybe some more will roll in) get some ideas for atleast renting for 6 months site unseen. I'm going to see what sort of things I can find with your suggestions and any other folks with ideas, please post! Thanks so much!!!! (Oh we stayed in RC at the Residennce Inn I think it was on White Road if I remember correctly. It was lovely over where we were.....)

Old 12-11-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnafo View Post
Oh we stayed in RC at the Residennce Inn I think it was on White Road if I remember correctly. It was lovely over where we were.....
Yeah, that is a tree-filled business park. Capital Village is just south of there (off International & Zinfandel). Capital Village is an interesting community. It was hit hard by foreclosures, and I'm sure there are lots of units available for rent. Here's a video tour of the neighorhood
Capital Village neighborhood tour in Rancho Cordova (by Sacramento Appraiser) - YouTube ....more info here Capital Village

You definately do not want to go north of Hwy 50 here unless it is along the American River. I'm unfamiliar with that neighbood, but I do know that anything between Hwy 50 to Folsom Blvd & Coloma is an older, run down, scary (yea, Ghetto) neighborhood like Mills Park. I'm sure there are nice pockets. I'm not familiar with the nice areas on that side of the freeway.

You've also got Anatola & Kavala Ranch master planned communities & many other developments, South of Hwy 50, off Sunrise.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:44 AM

Caligirlz - thanks for the info! Keep ideas coming - it is very helpful!

Old 12-11-2011, 05:54 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,375,968 times
I just checked the Fair Oaks area on craigslist and found at least a dozen places that would fit your criteria. Should be no problem in the other areas you mentioned too.

You caught my eye with you being from NC. My nephew and his family live in Cornelius on Lake Norman. I love visiting there.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:03 PM

Howdy again all! Still looking at properties and maps and areas that you guys have suggested -- do you know anything about a neighborhood called Walnut Woods in RC? It looks like it is to the Southeast of Zindfandel and to the north east of I50 but quite a ways from the Coloma Road undesirable area you spoke of earlier Caligirlz. Alandale Drive is the specific road we were seeing. As always, thanks for info.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnafo View Post
Howdy again all! Still looking at properties and maps and areas that you guys have suggested -- do you know anything about a neighborhood called Walnut Woods in RC? It looks like it is to the Southeast of Zindfandel and to the north east of I50 but quite a ways from the Coloma Road undesirable area you spoke of earlier Caligirlz. Alandale Drive is the specific road we were seeing. As always, thanks for info.
Never heard of it, but in looking at the map....that neighborhood is still in the "no" zone for me, but it may be fine for you. I see that there are lots of homes for sale for cheap, and I know that RC has been hard hit by foreclosures & the economy. Houses with a list price of $100K, while desirable pricewise & perhaps fantastic homes/neighborhoods in other cities like further down in central california, tell me "ghetto" in Sacramento....although, it may not be as ghetto as South Sac, Meadow View, No Highlands... Others may not feel the same way. Your just going to have to find what works for you. IMO, if I choose to live "in" RC, it would be Gold River or Anatola & Kavala Ranch. But that's just me.

I found another home rental website for you: HORIZON PROPERTIES -- Dozens of homes for rent in the Sacramento area

Old 12-16-2011, 09:15 AM

You have been so helpful! And Horizon is actually who I am dealing with -- got apps in on 3 houses there now (the areas I have mentioned to you). They seem pet friendly and very nice and helpful! Thanks so much for taking time to keep giving me good ideas it really helps!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento