Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 01:00 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times

Advertisements

Didn't say they didn't--but they get their services from different places, which was the point. And while plenty of residents like it fine, it's tough to argue that Sacramento County government is in wonderful fiscal shape. The problem with those lovely residential neighborhoods is that they take more than they give. The reasons why annexation and incorporation have both failed in Arden-Arcade is because both would involve balancing that equation, (incorporation) or having another entity pick up the county's problem (annexation.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 03:39 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,298,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Didn't say they didn't--but they get their services from different places, which was the point. And while plenty of residents like it fine, it's tough to argue that Sacramento County government is in wonderful fiscal shape. The problem with those lovely residential neighborhoods is that they take more than they give. The reasons why annexation and incorporation have both failed in Arden-Arcade is because both would involve balancing that equation, (incorporation) or having another entity pick up the county's problem (annexation.)
It isn't as simple as you are trying to convince everyone. You are branding everything you don't like in a negative way.

Fair Oaks is it's own distinct community. That area has quite the property tax base and an OK sales tax base. They could do better off without the county. Other areas, such as Florin, have a declining retail base and property tax revenue is falling through the floor. The reality of this is you are going to have disparities of similar magnitude in higher density areas. You only have to look at several of the largest cities on the East Coast to see this. We don't have much of this pattern in the West, although I can think of a few close examples in Fresno.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:53 PM

Where do you get the idea that I don't like these places? I am quite fond of plenty of suburban Sacramento and our small-town remnants: Fair Oaks, Carmichael, Arden-Arcade, Rio Linda and Old Florin are all places I like to visit. The disparity, some areas being high-value and others low-value, some having high potential for tax revenue and others low tax revenue, is exactly what I'm talking about--it makes some areas less well suited for incorporation, thus the analogy of the turkey (high value areas being the "breast" and "drumstick," low value areas being the "neck" and "giblets."

Eastern cities typically went through a different pattern--many have had precipitous population drops since the 1950s, as people abandoned central cities for suburbs. Most of these cities were already quite large. On the west coast, cities expanded to annex nearby neighborhoods, so instead of the new growth remaining outside the city limits, it became part of the city. Sacramento did this, taking over new suburbs as they were built and even absorbing an incorporated city (North Sacramento.) In North Sac's case, it was already fiscally in very rough shape when it was annexed, and has never really fully recovered.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:28 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
The unincorporated areas directly surrounding the city limits of Sacramento are very much a part of Sacramento. Their postal addresses use Sacramento as a place name; hence their indifference about their inclusion in the city proper.
As far as the Postal system is concerned, it is all about the the street address and zip code. You can leave the city and state off and your letter will still get to its destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
This is exactly how I would answer it. Anyone not living near here probably wouldn't know any of the suburbs. Sacramento, or the Sacramento area, works best in that case.
I agree that it works out of convienence, but if someone asks "where is that?", you can tell them that is it in or near Sacramento. It is not like Sacramento is that known, anyways. I find that often times if someone has heard of Sacramento, they don't really know where in California it is located.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:18 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
North - Sacramento County Line (not Yuba City)
South - Elk Grove
East - Roseville, Folsom (Auburn and Placerville are too far to be considered.)
West - Davis, Woodland

Old 01-08-2012, 09:40 AM

6,904 posts, read 8,271,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
North - Sacramento County Line (not Yuba City)
South - Elk Grove
East - Roseville, Folsom (Auburn and Placerville are too far to be considered.)
West - Davis, Woodland
I think your borders are a bit off and need to be extended further out.

East - Further east. All the towns between Placerville and Sacramento on the Highway 50 corridor. You forgot places like El Dorado Hills, Cameron Park, Shingle Springs, and you can include Placerville.

Northeast - Further to the northeast. All the towns between Auburn and Sacramento on the I-80 corridor. You forgot places like Rocklin, Loomis, and Lincoln, and you could include Auburn.

South - Further to the south to the town of Galt (some would include Lodi).

West - Further west beyond Davis to Dixon and Vacaville. Many folks in these parts got to school at Sac State or work in Sacramento.

Many folks in all the areas mentioned work in Sacramento County or South Placer County.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:26 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
No wonder Sacramento is having problems. None of you who live there can agree on where there is!

Old 01-14-2012, 02:00 PM

314 posts, read 487,193 times
Do you consider Dixon or Vacaville part of the Sac Region? The weather segments on the local news always had weather out as far as Fairfield, which is also the furthest that the Bay Area weather map covers. I'm from the Bay and lived in Davis for three years as a UCD student. I always considered Dixon and Vacaville as affliated with Sacramento and Fairfield more with SF. There is no doubt that all of Yolo County is in the Sac region. The Warriors games are shown in Vallejo (Bay Area obviously), and the Kings are shown in Vacaville. I think Fairfield is split by zipcode. You only get one (the other is blacked out even though we get both channels) so that could be another way of looking at it.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:20 PM

Both are in Solano County, technically not in the Sacramento MSA, although Dixon is commute-able, and some students from nearby UC Davis live there. The Bay-Delta region between Sacramento and the Bay Area is kind of its own thing.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:30 AM

6,904 posts, read 8,271,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenview94602 View Post
Do you consider Dixon or Vacaville part of the Sac Region? The weather segments on the local news always had weather out as far as Fairfield, which is also the furthest that the Bay Area weather map covers. I'm from the Bay and lived in Davis for three years as a UCD student. I always considered Dixon and Vacaville as affliated with Sacramento and Fairfield more with SF. There is no doubt that all of Yolo County is in the Sac region. The Warriors games are shown in Vallejo (Bay Area obviously), and the Kings are shown in Vacaville. I think Fairfield is split by zipcode. You only get one (the other is blacked out even though we get both channels) so that could be another way of looking at it.
Yes you are right about Dixon AND VACAVILLE.

There are Plenty of folk who commute to Sac from Vacaville for work and school.

I would say Fairfield is split either 50/50 BAY/SAC or 2/3-1/3 BAY/SAC. Further west BAY only, except for Napa which seems to have a big connection with Sacramento more than one would think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento