Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 10:32 AM

495 posts, read 1,830,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallredhead View Post
Sometimes, it makes perfect economic sense to leave a region for affordability reasons alone-! -Emil.
Indeed.

I returned to Sac because even though I could afford to live in SF for the rest of my life, I decided I didn't want to spend wads of my income on housing unnecessarily. I'd much rather put it to better use and have enough left over to actually have fun and enjoy my life. A lot of people are stressed out in the Bay Area, keeping up with the joneses and it can make you a bit shallow I think, whether you are or not. I lived in Sac for 7 years in the 80's, went to Sac State, loved it and have family here. I moved back for many reasons...another is just to slow down the pace to be honest and to heal from a bad motorcycle accident. I'm experiencing a culture shock of sorts right now, but I'm glad I moved back and I know I made the right decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
But it will give you a glimpse of why I feel the way I do.
I can understand why you feel the way you do. I grew up back east and in SF, and was part of that migration in the early 80's to Sacramento when my folks bought a house here. I remember it was much different. I lived in SF in the 90's and remember each time I visited my family, things were changing. I experience the same thing when I travel to the small town back east I also I grew up in. It's completely changed. Sometimes it makes me feel sad, for nostalgic reasons and fond childhood memories. I was in a softball league too, we sucked, ha, but it was fun! But back to change, change is the only thing that is constant. There will always be change and I kind of like it personally, even when it makes me uncomfortable.

Thanks for sharing and do you still play softball here?

Old 10-10-2007, 02:30 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,423,963 times
We sold our house in February and made the life changing decision to move to Fort Worth. Fort Worth is a lot like Sacramento. They literally call it "cow town" here.

Part of the whole decision to move was we wanted a lifestyle change and my husband got a promotion and needed to be centrally located so it just made sense to be out here in Texas.

Yes, there is a huge influx of people from California, NY and Florida coming into North Texas and it is growing quite a bit. One of the things is that I am like you, when we moved here, we didn't want it to be California. We wanted to learn how to be Texan.

All my neighbors were incredulous that we would be Texas of all places . I rather like the attitude that is here that is..this is what it is, don't try to change it. "If you don't like it, then leave" An unapologetic take it or leave it attitude which is refreshing.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:08 AM

Oh wow, I thought you were still here!

Hope you're doing well in Fort Worth.

I have a good friend who moved to Austin a couple of years ago and she loves it. Austin is comparable to Berkeley (CA) for anyone who doesn't know.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:04 AM

41 posts, read 154,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
We moved to Fort Worth and I will definately tell the OP that you are right on the money. Honestly, my opinion, I think it has to do with the growth and the migration of the people from the Bay Area and LA into the Valley.

Keep in mind that Fort Worth is part of the DFW Metroplex with 6 million people in the general vacinity (traffic really stinks), but people are SOOOOOOO friendly for the most part. I mean "Hiya - hows it going", hold the door open if they see you coming, direct eye contact friendly here.

We love it here! Yes there has been a big adjustment and not just the fact that I would never even be able to think about the kind of house that we are buying back in California, but overall just a really good change in quality of life.

Take care ya'll
guingirl,
just saw your post. been going back and forth for 3 years now about moving out of California and moving to Texas the Dallas area. sounds like you are happy there. Are you ok with the weather and what do you think now that you are there. thanks horsegirl

Old 10-11-2007, 02:01 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,423,963 times
We moved my Mom out in January and we followed a month later. I would honestly say that if moving it has to be more than just a cheaper house. We had a lot of motivating factors - husband's promotion, we were getting tired of the changes in the area and the cost of living helped.

There are a lot of similar things with Fort Worth and Sacramento. Both called "cowtowns" and Fort Worth has the laid back small town feel, but with better planning. The Stockyards is rich with history and reminds me a bit of Old Sac.

You will find every big box store here that is there. Of course, I really miss Jimboys Tacos and pretty partial to Cafe Delicious. There is a lot of outdoor activities here including a bunch of hunting and fishing. A TON of lakes in North Texas.

Like California, Texas has many different areas for weather. So while Houston is really hot and humid, Austin is less humid and Dallas/Fort Worth area is even less humid. It does get hot but this summer has been pretty mild and this has supposedly been a banner year for rain.

When we got here in January, it was rain and ice. Ice in the trees made a really cool tinkeling sound that I had never heard not living anywhere else besides Sacramento. The ice lasted a week or so and then it snowed a couple of times but melted before the end of the day. It was about an inch and was really really cool. I guess they get snow here like that once or twice a year.

March was when it really started. Ohhh MAN!!! Where in Sacramento we can pretty much tell what is coming in off the coast through the jet stream, here it comes from different directions. Also it forms here as well. Our first storm, we were just bumbling tourists basically opening the door saying "ohhhhh ahhhh...what is that horn?? I think we should probably seek shelter"...duh! What we saw was a tornado that was forming and churning out our back window.

The good thing is that they have some great technology here so they really warn you early to be aware of what is happening and they have it down to the minute. They will tell you what neighborhood severe weather is being effected, not unlike KCRA, but they just really have it down to the detail.

It rained everyday from March to July. The thunder and lightning storms are really quite a sight and very beautiful from a safe inside viewpoint

We had a friend that grew up here and moved to Dixon, he was right in saying that it gets colder in the winter and hotter in the summer (usually longer) than in Sacramento, but it is pretty close.

As far as kids, I will say that what I have found that there seems to be a lot of activities and everyone is involved in something. Education is really competative here and while there are no state income taxes, the property taxes are higher. The thing is that the majority of the property taxes go to the local independent school district. So in a way, there is a lot of competition within the schools.

While it is really nice here, it is different in many ways to California.

Anyway, I always happy to answer any questions. I dont always check here so send me a pm with any questions. Take care!!

Old 10-12-2007, 03:11 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,270,725 times
If you think the folks are unfriendly in Sacramento and east...don't move to Southern Utah like we did 2 years ago...We are selling and coming 'home' This is the most judgemental, unfriendly place we have ever lived, and we are life long Californians...

Old 10-13-2007, 10:19 AM

It continually amazes me the number of subcultures and english language dialects in this country. It's fascinating really, especially traveling to the outer reaches, like Maine (friendly people) but you feel like you're in another country! It's great if you like to travel and explore, but to live it's usually better to absorb the culture at a distance for us spoiled Californians, hahaa. I say this with a lot of humor so don't take that last comment personally or write me a nastry gram. We have gotten used to many things that other regions have no clue about. I say this because we're a cutting edge, activist state and most paradigm shifts begin here and then expand to other states. I won't go into too much detail, but my Mom and I were just talking about this - relating really to Customer Service. She flew to Minneapolis recently and needed help in the airport. In an airport in Calif, they would've been all over this, provided a wheelchair etc. But they didn't have a clue in the airport there and didn't know how to help her. They were also rude, what happened to Minnesota nice? Anyway, that's another story. She had to wait an hour and half for service that would've taken 10 minutes here. We take a lot for granted and I'm learning not to - it's still a great state and Sacramento has it's good points also.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:11 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,270,725 times
redwoodlvr...same thing here in utah..customer NO service..they would as well as slam a door in your face as wait on you...go to walmart, they take the cake...i guess the checkers know everyone because they talk to every single person in line that they know, family stuff...who the hell cares, get me outta here! but then they are rude when you get up to pay. You are right, we are used to cutting edge fast forward and future thinking in CA and most other places probably pale in comparison. We are selling and coming home as soon as we can...

Old 10-15-2007, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,338 times
I lived in Sacramento for four years and for job purposes, I may have to move back late this year or early in 2008. I'm ambivalent about this prospect. Here's why: I've lived in five states (six if you count Sinaloa, Mexico). I know enough not to expect a ticker tape parade when I arrive in a new city. I am eager to learn about my new home's history and culture, and seek out natives to ask polite questions about lovely plants, weather, traffic-avoidance routes, what's the story behind that oddly-shaped building, what are some local high school sports rivalries, etc.
Youch for Sacramento. Generally, senior citizens were lovely about this, even if they didn't know the answers, as were a small number of younger folks. But an amazing portion of people gave a nonsequitur about being married and/or literally turned their shoulder to me. I'm certain I don't look like a hooker or gangbanger. At first I figured I just caught people at the wrong time or something, but eventually -- after I made great friends who grew up in Colorado, New Jersey, Massachusetts and Kansas, heck even a couple with local roots -- I figured out it's just the custom here.
I'm sure the people who don't want to talk likely are responsible citizens, and I fully understand how sad it must be when your hometown grows so fast. But still, those chips on the shoulders must be awfully heavy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento