U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 02:54 PM

13,450 posts, read 15,879,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
So it would be a completely new city?
Likely just another unincorporated area for the time being, much like Fair Oaks, Orangevale or Carmichael. Perhaps it would just be called Easton.

I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually is considered for annexation by Rancho Cordova or Folsom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 03:11 PM

4,498 posts, read 4,496,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Sacramento is not only the State Capital of the most populated State in the U.S. , it is also a major metropolitan area. And according to BLS dot gov (labor statistics), local government employs more people that at the State-level. So, combine the two, and the number of Government employees in Sacramento should not be surprising.
State and Local Government, Except Education and Health

But....
15 Government-Heavy (and Recession-Resistant) Cities - US News and World Report

I don't hold U.S.News in high regard, but their list makes more sense than Yottos (Which is from Russia. Or the Ukraine? Not that it would make them unreliable).

The USN&WR article is from 2009....don't think much has changed over the last two years, though.

And what kind of Government employee are we talking about here? Public school teachers, public college teachers, and the administration and support (such as librarians); bus/Lite Rail drivers; garbage collectors; Postal workers, civilians who work for the Military; air traffic controllers; correctional offers; public librarians; police officers; firemen; etc. are all public sector workers.

You know, I lived in Portland, ME. for three years. It baffles me how that city can rank in the top ten. In particular since it's population is under 70K.

Also, Federal contractors in D.C. are not considered and counted as Government employees. However, to think that the Nation's Capital has less Government employees than Sacramento is complete lunacy.
You did not even bother to read the link I provided, or you did not bother to read it well.

The study was done by new buffalo business first and they analyzed data from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. From what I gathered from the actual study it counted all government employees, minus military.

Yottos did not even break the story ,nor did they make the list, they simply repeated it. Though your attempt to discredit it as a source because "it's from Russia" is duly noted. Here is a link to bbf.com, complete with link to the study Since you seem to have such a problem with Yottos reporting the story and all.....Sacramento depends most heavily on government jobs - Buffalo - Business First

Your link only looks at individual cities, where as the study that I am talking about looked at ENTIRE METROS.

And Federal Contractors are not counted as gov't employees, because they do not work for the gov't. You do know what contract work is right?

It's not like the gov't can go to a private firm or LLC they have contract with and be like, " we want to fire him, we want to give him a drug test, we want to get him a secretary to ease his work load, or we want you to give him a raise,"-something they do with actual employees.

No one is saying DC does not have LESS gov't workers in terms of raw numbers, or less gov't related private business. The study is pointing out gov't employees, per capita.

My parents are from DC, and 90%my family lives out there. So I know the area quite well. And they have a much larger presence of Corporate, Finance, and IT that Sac simply does not have. Not that hard to comprehend that they have a way larger percentage of private sector employees.

Better luck next time.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:04 PM

1,282 posts, read 908,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Better luck next time.
I don't mean to be a jerk, but why end an otherwise cogent post with something like that? You're not playing chess, you're having a discussion. (I resisted the temptation to use any emoticons too!)

Old 02-03-2012, 03:36 PM

4,498 posts, read 4,496,428 times
That's just how I am.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:24 PM

1,282 posts, read 908,835 times
Don't sell yourself short. I'm sure there's an amiable internet presence somewhere in there.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:33 PM

7,388 posts, read 14,148,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
You did not even bother to read the link I provided, or you did not bother to read it well.

The study was done by new buffalo business first and they analyzed data from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. From what I gathered from the actual study it counted all government employees, minus military.

Yottos did not even break the story ,nor did they make the list, they simply repeated it. Though your attempt to discredit it as a source because "it's from Russia" is duly noted. Here is a link to bbf.com, complete with link to the study Since you seem to have such a problem with Yottos reporting the story and all.....Sacramento depends most heavily on government jobs - Buffalo - Business First

Your link only looks at individual cities, where as the study that I am talking about looked at ENTIRE METROS.

And Federal Contractors are not counted as gov't employees, because they do not work for the gov't. You do know what contract work is right?

It's not like the gov't can go to a private firm or LLC they have contract with and be like, " we want to fire him, we want to give him a drug test, we want to get him a secretary to ease his work load, or we want you to give him a raise,"-something they do with actual employees.

No one is saying DC does not have LESS gov't workers in terms of raw numbers, or less gov't related private business. The study is pointing out gov't employees, per capita.

My parents are from DC, and 90%my family lives out there. So I know the area quite well. And they have a much larger presence of Corporate, Finance, and IT that Sac simply does not have. Not that hard to comprehend that they have a way larger percentage of private sector employees.

Better luck next time.
The link you provided linked to another City-Data thread. In the OP to the that thread was the supposed "proof" you alluded to, which turns out to be another link to a Russian news agency. Now, in that article it is mentioned that the data was compiled by Buffalo Business First, yet, if you think to click onto the header of article, it links you to the Sacramento Business Journal, not Buffalo Business First (although they are both a part of the online Biz Journals). Yottos News, by the way, is automated. It gathers "news" found across the Web. Hardly a "news" source.

Here, from their own info page:

Yottos News -
"About Yottos News.
Yottos News is the automated service, which gathers, processes and systematizes news available in the World Wide Web, and which works without any human interference or correction. The scanner-robot collects news from the leading Ukrainian, Russian and world mass media in real-time. The robot analyses all the news and systematizes them according to thematic categories, sorts them using regional and language parameters. As soon as news is published by the mass media, it is copied to Yottos News and sorted chronologically. Information can be called news, when it is fresh, quickly delivered and contains importance. Yottos guarantees the stability and accuracy of its News Search System."

But, you know all of this already, anyways.

Anyways, analyzing data does not mean anything unless they give their exact methods for collecting the data. Anyone can use Labor stats to create any sort of list they want.

So, for Sacto: Sacto's "entire" metro extends all the way to the State of Nevada, and includes the counties of:
Douglas
El Dorado
Nevada
Placer
Sacramento
Sutter
Yolo
Yuba

Now seriously dude, do you honestly consider Douglas County to be a part of Sacramento? Let alone the Sacramento metro? Douglas County is in the State of Nevada, in case you did not know.

The area from Sacto to Nevada is heavily forested. So that means forest rangers. It also gets snow. So that means Caltrans. Not only that, but you have the general array of city/county employees in those smaller towns, not to mention a lack of real bustling work-force. No need to go on, but this is a good example of why one should only look at the cities and not the entire "metro" area.

Just like Portland, ME. only has a population of under 70K, yet its "metro" area consists of around 500K people and is comprised of an area that no one in Maine would consider to be a part of Portland. Ironically, it does not even include the State Capital; which makes me doubt the quality of the stats. But, my guess is that they were compiled at a time when the Brunswick Naval Air Station was still operational. And the stats might include the Portsmouh Naval Shipyard....even though Portsmouth is in New Hampshire...but the shipyard is on the Maine side....

You missed the point about Federal contract employees. Technically they may work for the temp agency or consulting firm that hires them, but they are doing the same work, for the most part, that Federal employees do. There are many reasons for this; including that it is cheaper in the long run (they don't have to pay benefits. Er, tax-payers don't have to pay for their benefits), and, more importantly, it makes the Fed Gov. look smaller than what it would be if these jobs were not contracted out.

Regardless, even the statistics on the amount of Government employees in the DC vary widely depending on source; once again because statistics can be easily bent to your angle while still remaining "true" (that is why you should always look at the raw data/methodology before you trust the stats).

DC has a lot of people. What, 200K or so more people than Sacto. Now, DC has a small footprint in comparison to Sacto, and once you get outside of DC--into its suburbs--you are in another state/county. So per capita, are these people considered to be a part of DCs population?

Don't know why you have a chip on your shoulder or why my post ticked you off. I don't care to argue with you, let alone if I will have "better luck" responding to your posts. You can take what ever you want out of this exchange, but my point with my last post was in asking your opinion what exactly constitutes a State employee.

Last edited by K-Luv; 02-05-2012 at 05:42 PM..

Old 02-06-2012, 03:20 AM

191 posts, read 201,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Good post. I definitely see some good things happening in Sac's downtown/midtown areas. Definitely a lot more culture, cafes, restaurants, bars than before. So that's a big plus. We really need to build on that.
Downtown Sac can have a nice artsy vibe, some nice restaurants but those alone will not turn it into the great city we want to see. How many restaurants and hip night spots come and go in sac. How many cheap artist lofts with young twenty somethings that hardly spend any money downtown. Its like musical chairs. Draw in the business so young professionals will want to work and live downtown. That spurs spending and revenue. In return it enhances the hip downtown culture with "lasting" restaurants, clubs and modern updated architecture.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:09 AM

7,405 posts, read 8,085,651 times
Actually it's the young artists and their vibe that makes the young professionals want to work and live downtown, and the businesses follow them (and actually those young artists do spend a lot of money, just on different stuff.) Or the young artists grow up and become the professionals, but don't want to move out of downtown. Either way, art and culture often become economic drivers for a neighborhood. The challenge is keeping the neighborhood interesting once the money arrives.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:08 AM

650 posts, read 760,082 times
Old superfund site! Well put. So now elk grove is expanding to the south too. Im curious where the quality investments would be. It seems that with all this growth planned, the suburbs are just a dime a dozen. That growth good for communities like rancho m, sloughouse and Wilton?

Old 02-08-2012, 06:05 PM

179 posts, read 236,510 times
Anyone familiar with this project in Sutter County?

Sutter Pointe, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento