Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:29 AM

64 posts, read 77,270 times

Advertisements

No.

Why do you wanna trade the best part of the country and great air + more colorful people for a bad part of CA, terrible air, and boring people? I know I sure wouldn't + Seattle is a world class city. CA might have the 7th largest economy and Sac might be the capitol of that place, but look at what you'd lose doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 12:56 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
No. Don't do it. The temperatures aren't a problem. Sure, it breaks 100, but that's about 20 days a year. So less than a month. The Delta breeze cools it down at night.

It is a spread out vapid area. I mean, it's really, really boring. There's some cultural hipster stuff going on downtown, but it's not for everybody. The transit systems are not coordinated between counties (Sac, Placer, El Dorado and Yolo). You may find people to your liking, but you'll go a long ways to see them. People in the burbs (Citrus Heights, Orangevale, etc.) didn't seem that interesting. Sacramento and Reno are, far and away, the worst places I've lived.

I have lived in the NW, Seattle included. Sure, the weather gets old, but it is a major city with major amenities. Not only that, the setting is one-of-a-kind. People weren't as outgoing as in sunnier climates, but if you already know people, stay put. Drink coffee or frequent the cultural activities the area has to offer.

On a closing note, 4 people: my brother, my mother, a friend, and a relative from overseas came to see me while I lived in Sacramento and said it was ugly -- there is a bleak, dusty, parched aspect to it. That's why many still refer to it as a "cowtown." Outside a small downtown with office buildings, it turns ugly real fast...in all directions. So what if there are trees downtown, their downtown is gross and folds up at night. In fact, my cousin from overseas saw 7 West Coast metro areas (Vanc, SEA, PDX, Reno-Tahoe, Sacramento, LA and San Diego) and ranked Sacramento last on her list.

Don't do it.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
No. Don't do it. The temperatures aren't a problem. Sure, it breaks 100, but that's about 20 days a year. So less than a month. The Delta breeze cools it down at night.

It is a spread out vapid area. I mean, it's really, really boring. There's some cultural hipster stuff going on downtown, but it's not for everybody. The transit systems are not coordinated between counties (Sac, Placer, El Dorado and Yolo). You may find people to your liking, but you'll go a long ways to see them. People in the burbs (Citrus Heights, Orangevale, etc.) didn't seem that interesting. Sacramento and Reno are, far and away, the worst places I've lived.

I have lived in the NW, Seattle included. Sure, the weather gets old, but it is a major city with major amenities. Not only that, the setting is one-of-a-kind. People weren't as outgoing as in sunnier climates, but if you already know people, stay put. Drink coffee or frequent the cultural activities the area has to offer.

On a closing note, 4 people: my brother, my mother, a friend, and a relative from overseas came to see me while I lived in Sacramento and said it was ugly -- there is a bleak, dusty, parched aspect to it. That's why many still refer to it as a "cowtown." Outside a small downtown with office buildings, it turns ugly real fast...in all directions. So what if there are trees downtown, their downtown is gross and folds up at night. In fact, my cousin from overseas saw 7 West Coast metro areas (Vanc, SEA, PDX, Reno-Tahoe, Sacramento, LA and San Diego) and ranked Sacramento last on her list.

Don't do it.
Now in my opinion I live currently in Midtown/East Sac and I find that if I ever met anyone in this area, it was in places like the burbs that I highlighted. I haven't met anyone in Midtown area or visited with them that much and if you want to meet a girl here, forget it. Many have issues.. not my cup of tea socially. Your best chances are in the outskirts or at least to get away from the wackos but even then, its pretty slim too if you want to meet new friends. Some also have a I grew up and never left mentality and only want to talk with those who live in the area awhile. Not a friendly city for many transplants unless you move from the Bay Area maybe then you may meet more in common. For an East Coast guy like me, this isnt the place to live. I'd much prefer Seattle to this.

I suggest the OP stay put as well even if he has 1 or 2 friends there.. thats more than coming here with no friends I think even if you trade the doom and gloom and he would be giving up a lot.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:19 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
Seattle has a nice setting but the people are what is wrong with that city. It's a very passive-aggressive city, with what is known as "seattle freeze"-bad attitudes. Plus it has a lot more single men than it does single women. Perhaps that has something to do with it. That and you don't see the sun for days, even weeks at a time.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Seattle has a nice setting but the people are what is wrong with that city. It's a very passive-aggressive city, with what is known as "seattle freeze"-bad attitudes. Plus it has a lot more single men than it does single women. Perhaps that has something to do with it. That and you don't see the sun for days, even weeks at a time.
While Seattle isn't perfect, I'd give it a try or would rather live there than Sacramento. I am more an Oregon fan. BTW does passive agressiveness not exist in Sacramento somehow? If it doesn't, then its still very hard to relate to people here at the same time for other reasons although both I could do without frankly.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:42 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy14 View Post
TY kind sir! I must pack my bags now. I got several change of clothes to last me 3 months.. I will find a job too however if I don't, I will be back in Sacramento annoying YOU.
Welcome back, Dr. Rain. Again, please leave town, what are you still doing here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento