Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 07:26 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,605,527 times

Advertisements

You can't lump Chico rents in with the rest of Butte County. Chico is much more affluent and desirable for economic reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 12:37 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,305,056 times
Clearly we have differences in opinion in this matter. We may just have to agree to disagree.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:32 AM

80 posts, read 132,713 times
Quote:
I am currently considering to transfer to Sacramento State or UC Davis, but I am leaning more toward Sacramento State.
Cheaper and easier to get into. Bio isn't impacted so you'd likely just have to apply.

Quote:
I have a few questions for those who currently attend Sac State and live by there. Would you consider Sac State to be a good school?
Yes. I was concerned with coming here, but for the quantitative majors, your extra-curricular activities are going to be what sets you apart should you decide to go to graduate school. CSUS bio program is also good, and I doubt you'd have trouble (assuming you just dont stick to getting good grades) with fuure success.

Quote:
Is there a lot to do throughout the year? are the students and teachers welcoming? is it difficult to make friends?
The school is diverse. I doubt you'll have any trouble finding people to get into "trouble" with throughout the school year, especially if you are a young person.

Quote:
Which places are the safest to live around? I like the big city life, coming from the bay area and I was curious to know if there is a lot to do around Sac? I would appreciate all answers Thank you.
Realisitcally any apartment near and around campus is going to be fine; or anything along Madison/Howe. Downtown is always an option, and it shouldn't be difficult to find a place, or a room mate situation.

Quote:
And Sac State is ranked . . . uh, well . .
Sac State will never be "highly ranked"; it is as people mentioned a commuter school meant to feed the local area, and send a few folks off to greener pastures. There is no reason really for Sac State to bother competiting for research grants and the like (which are marks of nationally recognized schools) because there are already schools in place in the state that do that. If this were a smaller state then yes, CSUS would probably compete with other schools where resources aren't being split between dozens of campuses.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:58 AM

5 posts, read 7,168 times
I attended Sac State few years ago and I will warn you it is a very bureaucratic process to transfer. It may have changed but it was a nightmare for me having to go back and forth to different places to get things done to be enrolled, they should have a centralized system. In any case, I was majoring in Business and the business school is pretty standard and is pretty good. The nursing school, teaching programs, politics (it is Sacramento) are pretty good too from what I hear. I am unfamiliar with Biological Sciences but I do know that USGS has a center on campus at Placer Hall. I can't speak in general about teachers and making friends. The teachers I had were horrible (a math teacher who was old and didn't allow calculators on quizzes and exams), a history teacher who had required writing but was never clear about what she was looking for on essays except to answer the prompt, and smattering of part-time teachers here and there could make them inaccessible to office hours unless they were tenured. As for friends, I really didn't make any as it is a commuter campus, I paid $120 for my parking pass. The only friends I knew were those whom I ran into after transferring from a local community college. I mostly interacted with those whom I already known. Just in my experience, I had a group project in a business class that went horribly wrong as the person whom I was depending on in order to continue my part did everything at the last minute. I had ended up spending the better part of my day in the AIRC lab finishing it since it was due the same day. I went into my finals with a high B and ended up with a C- since the group project was a significant part of the grade. We peer reviewed each other and let's just say that no one came out as friends after that. The areas around Sac State are good around La Riviera/Watt, College Green/Fair Oaks, Tahoe Park/East Sacramento. Midtown is a happening place also if you don't mind driving or busing to school (you get a transit pass with the tuition). It is a good school but your experience may differ lol UCD is oriented more to the sciences so you should consider that.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:33 AM

570 posts, read 1,729,665 times
it's like this topic is old, but i will reply anyway.

i would go with UC Davis. Unless you want to save some money, you can pick Sac State. All my friends who went to Sac State work for the CA State agencies. lol If you don't like the low pay govn't jobs, you probably don't want to go to sac state. If you want to work outside of Sacramento Area, you will probably want to pick UC Davis.

I went to Sac State, it had many internship opportunities while I was in school. I intern for the State govn't and Deloitte. I'm working for Deloitte right now. I know alot of sac state grads find jobs at Intel too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento