U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 02:34 AM

4 posts, read 3,982 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am currently considering to transfer to Sacramento State or UC Davis, but I am leaning more toward Sacramento State. I have a few questions for those who currently attend Sac State and live by there. Would you consider Sac State to be a good school? (biological sciences)? Is there a lot to do throughout the year? are the students and teachers welcoming? is it difficult to make friends? Which places are the safest to live around? I like the big city life, coming from the bay area and I was curious to know if there is a lot to do around Sac? I would appreciate all answers Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 07:08 AM

14,812 posts, read 18,138,230 times
I went to graduate school there. It's outside of the downtown area, in the Y I80 where it meets highway 50 and with the river on the other side, so pretty secluded. I commuted from the bay area and had classes all two days a week. I can't speak about undergrad, but I found even then that it was easy to meet people but I never met any that were from the Sacramento area.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:10 AM

7,598 posts, read 8,500,047 times
It's a suburban campus, there is a lot to do around Sacramento if you care to look for it. It's not the Bay Area but Sacramento has plenty to offer. Davis is more remote but still close to Sacramento's downtown. The neighborhoods around the CSUS campus are pretty safe--East Sac, Campus Commons, even Tahoe Park to the south.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:06 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,464,704 times
I'd classify it more on the edge of eastern Sac (as in the City of Sacramento, not the county). To me, suburban implies further out (e.g., Rancho Cordova, area around American River College, Flordin Rd., etc.) though that varies by individual.

Interesting you don't mention price (California State Universities usually lower tuition that University of California campuses), whethr you are certain you can get into either campus, why you're concentrating on Sacramento (vs. the other campuses in each system), etc. I took night classes at Sac State (before it was officially CSUS), but it's been awhile. My general impressin was that CSUS would be closer to urban attractions, such as bars, restaurants, etc. (found in Sacramento) but that UCD would have more of a university town feel. I'd definitely visit each campus and ask for a tour.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:09 AM

4 posts, read 3,982 times
Thank you everyone for the replies, I visited Sacramento State briefly a while back and I really liked it, therefore, Im more drawn toward going to Sac State. However, I was just curious on how everyone else's experience was at Sac State or UCD. I will definitely ask for a tour in both campuses and see which I like best. )

Old 03-20-2012, 03:39 PM

471 posts, read 723,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyyarea View Post
Thank you everyone for the replies, I visited Sacramento State briefly a while back and I really liked it, therefore, Im more drawn toward going to Sac State. However, I was just curious on how everyone else's experience was at Sac State or UCD. I will definitely ask for a tour in both campuses and see which I like best. )
Uh, am I missing something here? Davis is ranked the 38th best school in the entire country by U.S. News. It's ranked significantly higher than schools like the University of Texas and and Penn State.

And Sac State is ranked . . . uh, well . .

If you can get into both, the decision seems pretty easy.

Last edited by ElectroPlumber; 03-20-2012 at 03:49 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 03:42 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,397,207 times
Quote:
Go with UCD. Much higher ranked school.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:49 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,057,868 times
I wouldn't really consider CSUS a suburban campus nor the area around it suburban (by california standard). It's a commuter campus, but not really a suburban campus.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:30 PM

7,598 posts, read 8,500,047 times
Who are you, and what have you done with Majin?

Old 03-20-2012, 11:29 PM

569 posts, read 527,438 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am currently considering to transfer to Sacramento State or UC Davis, but I am leaning more toward Sacramento State. I have a few questions for those who currently attend Sac State and live by there.
Would you consider Sac State to be a good school? (biological sciences)?
Is there a lot to do throughout the year?
are the students and teachers welcoming?
is it difficult to make friends? Which places are the safest to live around? I like the big city life, coming from the bay area and I was curious to know if there is a lot to do around Sac? I would appreciate all answers Thank you.
I just graduated Sac State this past year and have my fiance graduating this year.

Regarding CSU vs UCs: it depends on what you want. IMO what makes you, as a student and future grad, look good is (a) your GPA and (b) your experience. Employers haven't cared that I went to Sac State -- they cared that I got a degree in XYZ. CSUs are semester while UC are quarter based. You'll pay more at UCs, obviously. (I believe UCs are more research based than CSUs are, however)

I'm unsure about biological sciences. What are you planning on doing? Pre-med or just biology?

There are a lot of events throughout the year, but unfortunately not many clubs. A lot of students join sororities or frats, or join a club that's pretty active.

Teachers and students aren't judgmental. You're there to learn, they're there to teach and help you understand. Teachers will like that you go the extra step and go to office hours will want to help you more. (making friends is up to you)

You can live on-campus, which has apartments and dorms, go to the University Lofts which are pretty safe, live in La Riviera (not immediately around the school but towards Watt) or commute from a different area. Sac State's a commuter school for a reason.

If you like things to do, there seems to be plenty. I'm an at-home nerd so I enjoy the darkness, but there are events going on a lot in Sacramento. Second Saturday is pretty fun to attend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento