U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 05:21 PM

7,190 posts, read 7,526,454 times
Redding CA Blogs About Methamphetamine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 09:52 PM

879 posts, read 1,697,982 times
Drugs are everywhere, and it seems the Meth is the drug of choice in rural areas across the nation. Redding is also waaaaay too hot in the summer - much hotter than Sacramento.

As someone suggested, why be limited to Cali? How about Oregon? You have the ocean, mild temp (with a warmer, more California climate in southern OR), lots of natural beauty, and it is a fairly progressive state without some of the negative baggage that California has aquired.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:00 AM

7 posts, read 3,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Drugs are everywhere, and it seems the Meth is the drug of choice in rural areas across the nation. Redding is also waaaaay too hot in the summer - much hotter than Sacramento.

As someone suggested, why be limited to Cali? How about Oregon? You have the ocean, mild temp (with a warmer, more California climate in southern OR), lots of natural beauty, and it is a fairly progressive state without some of the negative baggage that California has aquired.

It is very pretty in Oregon, I spent some time there a few years back and I really enjoyed the place but that kind of cold is not for me. Yes it is true drugs are everywhere and meth is all over the south but in my experience, if you don't associate with those kinds of things and the people who would, you really don't have a problem with them....

I don't understand why Redding is so much hotter then Sacramento when it is further north then Sacramento? California weather can be kind of hard to figure out.

So people say Stockton is going under but what does that mean for the people living there? Who cares if the city files for bankruptcy? They come back and turn the lights back on the next day but with no debt, what does that have to do with the people living in the city, how do things change for them? I would think at least after bankruptcy things would begin to get better because they would have the bankruptcy behind them.

It seems like to me (and many other people) that California lost its mind when it comes to housing prices. The housing market in CA needs to reflect the reality that buyers are actually able to meet. Sure, you can sell $250,000 houses but you won't sell as many as those as you will $100,000 houses and it should be a descent house for that price, sorry if some people didn't see the writing on the wall and bought at the worst time but that is the kick in the teeth that is capitalism. Buy low, sell high or get caught slipping and take a hit. I'm not saying its right or wrong but no one was complaining when they were borrowing against their houses to get that 'bling, bling'!

So many people are totally priced out of housing in CA and CA needs more buyer participation... seems like the solution is obvious, prices need to drop, dramatically. I know that home owners don't want to hear that but that doesn't make it less true. In fact, other then places like Stockton, prices have remained too high in CA, meanwhile the rest of the country has dropped significantly and early and to be honest with you, it helped. Supplies are being drained because the market is open to more people... getting credit may be a problem but prices are more in line with reality and that is so important.

Why shouldn't I be able to pick up a nice 3 bedroom 2 bath home with a .25 acre of land for around $100,000 and still be 1/2 an hour or so drive from the downtown's of SF, LA or San Diego? It isn't like they are running out of land.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:02 AM

5,734 posts, read 4,268,178 times
Redding is in a "bowl" and the inversion layer traps the heat. Hottest I saw was 121. Damn hot. But hey it's "dry"!

To your final question 1/2 hour from ANY of those cities is impacted by the burbs in all directions. SF 500k LA 400k SD 350k....trust me we are looking in SD right now.

Cali sucks your money, whether commute, state tax, sales tax or other little costs. DMV is $540. ONE YEAR for an 09' high end Hyundai. My 4Runner in Alaska? 2 years $140.00 no state income tax no sales tax and the PFD dividend....and then there is Winter.

If I were in your situation with that bright boy I would be heading north and east to where the school programs were funded properly and near a lake. I raised my kids in California for other reasons (medical) and if I had the choice I would not have done so. Don't get me wrong. Communities like Thousand Oaks have great schools but the avg house cost is uber $.

I hear your frustration though minor. Best of luck in your search and goals.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:08 AM

5,734 posts, read 4,268,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
If you really want to have fun look at the sex offender registry in the nation.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:56 AM

7,190 posts, read 7,526,454 times
GoWest12: A couple of reasons. For starters, California property taxes are very low--that drives up purchase price. Second, there are 40 million Californians all competing for housing, and while there is lots of open land, most of it is in the wrong place. Land within a convenient commute of the most desirable places to get jobs and do business in California is actually limited--which is why, during the housing boom, people were commuting to San Jose from Stockton and Los Angeles from Bakersfield! Higher gas prices and lower land prices have adjusted things somewhat--but we're still driven by supply and demand. Third, California is a $2 trillion economy--and while not everyone is doing well, the folks with the money drive housing prices.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:03 PM

465 posts, read 663,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWest12 View Post
It is very pretty in Oregon, I spent some time there a few years back and I really enjoyed the place but that kind of cold is not for me. Yes it is true drugs are everywhere and meth is all over the south but in my experience, if you don't associate with those kinds of things and the people who would, you really don't have a problem with them....

I don't understand why Redding is so much hotter then Sacramento when it is further north then Sacramento? California weather can be kind of hard to figure out.

So people say Stockton is going under but what does that mean for the people living there? Who cares if the city files for bankruptcy? They come back and turn the lights back on the next day but with no debt, what does that have to do with the people living in the city, how do things change for them? I would think at least after bankruptcy things would begin to get better because they would have the bankruptcy behind them.

It seems like to me (and many other people) that California lost its mind when it comes to housing prices. The housing market in CA needs to reflect the reality that buyers are actually able to meet. Sure, you can sell $250,000 houses but you won't sell as many as those as you will $100,000 houses and it should be a descent house for that price, sorry if some people didn't see the writing on the wall and bought at the worst time but that is the kick in the teeth that is capitalism. Buy low, sell high or get caught slipping and take a hit. I'm not saying its right or wrong but no one was complaining when they were borrowing against their houses to get that 'bling, bling'!

So many people are totally priced out of housing in CA and CA needs more buyer participation... seems like the solution is obvious, prices need to drop, dramatically. I know that home owners don't want to hear that but that doesn't make it less true. In fact, other then places like Stockton, prices have remained too high in CA, meanwhile the rest of the country has dropped significantly and early and to be honest with you, it helped. Supplies are being drained because the market is open to more people... getting credit may be a problem but prices are more in line with reality and that is so important.

Why shouldn't I be able to pick up a nice 3 bedroom 2 bath home with a .25 acre of land for around $100,000 and still be 1/2 an hour or so drive from the downtown's of SF, LA or San Diego? It isn't like they are running out of land.
I didn't catch where you live now, but I'm a little surprised that you are asking these questions if you lived around LA before. I have lived in several places in the south (born in Texas, lived in NC too--CA is NOTHING like the south so far as home prices go). Maybe you lived in SoCal when you were younger and weren't concerned with the economy issues?

Your questions are typical of people who want to move here and just can't understand why they can't get a nice home in a nice neighborhood for $125K or $150K, etc. They understandably think that things are more or less like where they come from where average people's wages are sufficient to buy their way into a nice subdivision.

But CA is not like other places in the country, except maybe NY City. You can make really decent money out here (like 60 - $75K a year--at least I think it's decent money) and still not be able to get into the nice neighborhoods, good schools, etc. for a traditional 3BR home (unless your wife also makes $75K a year).

The reason is that everything is scaled up out here. Salaries are higher and prices are higher. For example, $75K salary in Houston will easily get you into a comparable neighborhood that I would love to live in here. I would think I was middle-class again if I lived in that type of neighborhood.

There are lots and lots and lots of people out here with joint incomes of $150K, even with unemployment at a still high rate. They can easily afford $300k houses and therefore, they end up buying the houses that in other states could be bought with $75K salaries. This pushes the $75K folks farther and farther out from metropolitan areas to the point that they end up coming back in and looking at the closer-in, but less desirable neighborhoods which pushes the prices up in those neighborhoods and viola, you have a housing market that the rest of the country cannot understand.

By the way, prices have "already dropped dramatically". I would expect that they are not going to drop much more, in fact, I can tell that the market is edging back up. So, sorry to say you probably missed the Big Drop.

Your best bet would be Texas if your decision about where to live is based on the best ratio of salary to home value or maybe Arkansas where Curmudgeon lives.

It is, as I have posted before, a series of trade-offs over what you can afford versus what you can put up with.

Last edited by ElectroPlumber; 04-01-2012 at 05:14 PM..

Old 04-01-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPlumber View Post
I didn't catch where you live now, but I'm a little surprised that you are asking these questions if you lived around LA before.
Yes I lived in LA back in 2006 and I didn't understand the deal then before the drop in housing-I knew then that a major fall was coming and people told me I didn't know what I was talking about... frankly, I don't think there were enough well paying jobs at the height of the market to substantiate the prices of the houses both then and now it worse. Places like Pasadena or spots outside of San Diego, it was crazy- 400,000 to a million plus!

While housing has dropped I don't think prices have dropped enough and obviously neither does the market or we would be seeing a turn around. Sure Beverly Hills is going to be fine but honestly, too many places have no logic behind their house prices. Simple logic tells me that if I have loads of houses selling for 400,000 and loads of people making 30,000 a year something is going to have to give- like either we raise salaries or lower prices.

That may not be good news for people who have houses now and bought at the height of the market... but them's the breaks.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
GoWest12: A couple of reasons. For starters, California property taxes are very low--that drives up purchase price. Second, there are 40 million Californians all competing for housing, and while there is lots of open land, most of it is in the wrong place. Land within a convenient commute of the most desirable places to get jobs and do business in California is actually limited--which is why, during the housing boom, people were commuting to San Jose from Stockton and Los Angeles from Bakersfield! Higher gas prices and lower land prices have adjusted things somewhat--but we're still driven by supply and demand. Third, California is a $2 trillion economy--and while not everyone is doing well, the folks with the money drive housing prices.
This makes sense and I agree about the population density however if the folks with money are driving the house prices then it appears they are tapped out or maybe they just aren't looking?.. what happens when they have their houses, who is left to sell to? Seems like the current known supply combined with the shadow supply would inspire at least the bank to loosen prices to burn off the inventory.

Here is a recent article from the Sac. Bee talking about the shadow inventory... Home slump isn't going away in California - Real Estate - The Sacramento Bee

Old 04-01-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Redding is in a "bowl" and the inversion layer traps the heat. Hottest I saw was 121. Damn hot. But hey it's "dry"!

To your final question 1/2 hour from ANY of those cities is impacted by the burbs in all directions. SF 500k LA 400k SD 350k....trust me we are looking in SD right now.

Cali sucks your money, whether commute, state tax, sales tax or other little costs. DMV is $540. ONE YEAR for an 09' high end Hyundai. My 4Runner in Alaska? 2 years $140.00 no state income tax no sales tax and the PFD dividend....and then there is Winter.

If I were in your situation with that bright boy I would be heading north and east to where the school programs were funded properly and near a lake. I raised my kids in California for other reasons (medical) and if I had the choice I would not have done so. Don't get me wrong. Communities like Thousand Oaks have great schools but the avg house cost is uber $.

I hear your frustration though minor. Best of luck in your search and goals.

I haven't ruled out the north east completely but I really do hate the cold.
Plus, I really like the California culture... I love the huge racial mix and pretty much everything else about the place.... Maybe I should consider taking a big mortgage but I just don't agree that the salaries match the real estate.... I'll keep looking.... I'm patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento