Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:38 AM

113 posts, read 305,331 times

Advertisements

Hello

We are Muslim family just got permanent residency , my wife is hair-scarfed we are interested in California due to beautiful weather year around which is close to what we have used to

we heard that Sacramento is much affordable than rest of Cali and want to move but we have some concerns about the below

1-How tolerant and safe would it be for Muslim Family

2-what is the possibility of finding casual jobs ( cashier , delivery , etc )

i have bachelor of business and experience in aerospace industry but i dont expect to find a relevant job at begining

3-would $ 800 be enough to rent a 2 bedroom at a safe area

Thanks a lot

Old 04-09-2012, 08:54 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,784,285 times
Not sure of the exact demographics, but there are Muslims in Sacramento. I think there are at least 2 mosques. Do you have friends or relatives that can help? As for jobs, even entry level, there is lots of competition due to the economy.

I can think of a lot more communities that are more affordable than Sacramento...anywhere in central California. $800 for "SAFE"? Depends on your definition of safe. IMO, no, but tell us what you mean. I'm sure your definition is deferential than mine.

Last edited by caligirlz; 04-09-2012 at 09:07 AM..

Old 04-09-2012, 11:04 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,638,038 times
Agree with caligirlz. I believe you'll find Sacramento to be very welcoming. Finding jobs may be a challenge, just due to the still struggling economy. Also, as caligirlz says, there are a lot of different neighborhoods, so at that budget, there will be a trade off for size/comfort of the rental vs location and safety of the neighborhood. You can find cheaper cities, but if you want to live in CA, Sac is one of the better bets. Fresno might work but the job market is even worse; Bakersfield is probably going to be a lot less tolerant (and is generally hotter, more polluted, and less pleasant).

I imagine you've already been looking for work in the aerospace industry. I'm sure it goes without saying that your best bet will be finding a job first, then moving there. A good job in an expensive area can be a better option than a bad job with no prospects for advancing in an inexpensive area.

Congrats on residency and good luck with your search.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:13 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,845,581 times
Sacramento is well known for its diversity and tolerance. There is already a significant Muslim population here. The Arden area has a good number of Arab owned businesses including markets and restaurants.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:39 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,582,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egyptian2009 View Post
Hello

We are Muslim family just got permanent residency , my wife is hair-scarfed we are interested in California due to beautiful weather year around which is close to what we have used to

we heard that Sacramento is much affordable than rest of Cali and want to move but we have some concerns about the below

1-How tolerant and safe would it be for Muslim Family

2-what is the possibility of finding casual jobs ( cashier , delivery , etc )

i have bachelor of business and experience in aerospace industry but i dont expect to find a relevant job at begining

3-would $ 800 be enough to rent a 2 bedroom at a safe area

Thanks a lot
Muslims are plenty safe in Sacramento, and the majority of Sacramentans will not be personally hostile to you. However - the Sacramento area is predominantly Catholic and is not known for any special love of Islam. If your Islamic faith includes belief in the killing of "apostates" from Islam, or the barbaric practice of female circumcision, or flogging children to death, or waging jihad against infidels, or imposing sharia law in the United States, etc., suffice it to say that you will make more friends by keeping quiet about such things.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:41 PM

359 posts, read 327,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
If your Islamic faith includes belief in the killing of "apostates" from Islam, or the barbaric practice of female circumcision, or flogging children to death, or waging jihad against infidels, or imposing sharia law in the United States, etc., suffice it to say that you will make more friends by keeping quiet about such things.
How dare you?

Old 04-09-2012, 01:50 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,582,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood912 View Post
How dare you?
How dare I what?

Old 04-09-2012, 01:52 PM

359 posts, read 327,462 times
How dare you show such blatant disrespect for your fellow man?

Old 04-09-2012, 02:09 PM

314 posts, read 482,777 times
I think he was just trying to say that as long as the OP isn't for enforcing sharia law then they will be welcomed. What is the problem here?

Old 04-09-2012, 02:14 PM

113 posts, read 305,331 times
westernpelgrim.. is that racist ? , if we are such cruel with our ladies , why my first question is concerned with my wife safety .. majority of Muslims love and respect all people and want to live safely but unfortunately we are confronted with prejudice and stereotype idea about us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento