Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 12:34 AM

10 posts, read 17,002 times

Advertisements

Currently living in Santa Barbara and paying $800 a month for a room in a house. I'm 29 and completing a BS in Information Systems online through the State University of New York. I'm an IT consultant consulting at a small firm working under contract, however they are not doing so well and it looks as if I will be out of a job soon unfortunately. Santa Barbara doesn't seem to have many tech jobs lately. I have a good friend in Sac that moved up to go to school so I would have a ready-to-go roommate, should I decide to move. I've visited a few times and it seems like a good city.

Is Sacramento growing IT job-wise? Networking? Database? Programming? etc...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 03:02 PM

491 posts, read 1,261,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumor21 View Post
Currently living in Santa Barbara and paying $800 a month for a room in a house. I'm 29 and completing a BS in Information Systems online through the State University of New York. I'm an IT consultant consulting at a small firm working under contract, however they are not doing so well and it looks as if I will be out of a job soon unfortunately. Santa Barbara doesn't seem to have many tech jobs lately. I have a good friend in Sac that moved up to go to school so I would have a ready-to-go roommate, should I decide to move. I've visited a few times and it seems like a good city.

Is Sacramento growing IT job-wise? Networking? Database? Programming? etc...?
Wife is a legacy programmer with the state. Some of the departments still have openings in that area.

You should peruse the state website, get an account and start looking for tests to sign up for. You have to learn the steps involved to eventually be able to apply for open positions, but it's worth it if you land a position.

Besides that, it's the usual "check Dice and Craigslist routine".

Old 04-11-2012, 05:31 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,565 times
I'd second ElectroPlumber's recommendations. By the way, I moved from SB to Sac, and don't miss SB quite as much as I thought I would. Good luck.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:53 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Also, check out HP, Intel and all the health insurance companies (Aetna, Health Net, Anthem Blue Cross, Western Health Advantage, Blue Shield of Ca, United Healthcare) and hospitals/medical groups (Kaiser, Sutter, UC Davis, Dignity Health). I know that Blue Shield is hiring.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 PM

578 posts, read 1,294,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Also, check out HP, Intel and all the health insurance companies (Aetna, Health Net, Anthem Blue Cross, Western Health Advantage, Blue Shield of Ca, United Healthcare) and hospitals/medical groups (Kaiser, Sutter, UC Davis, Dignity Health). I know that Blue Shield is hiring.
Agreed with this. UC Davis always has a lot of programming jobs available. Dignity Health (formerly Catholic Healthcare West) is doing something up in Roseville and is hiring a lot of technical support as well as health IT support (not the same as IT).

Unfortunately, there are heads and tails more jobs available in the Bay Area than in Sacramento FYI.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:40 PM

41 posts, read 122,589 times
Also there are 3 newly built Hospitals in Elk grove..

Old 04-20-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando LaO Sr. View Post
Also there are 3 newly built Hospitals in Elk grove..
???? where ????

Old 04-22-2012, 08:55 AM

41 posts, read 122,589 times
One of them can be seen on Elk Grove Blvd. and corner of Wymark. The other one is close to Grant line besides the proposed Mall construction. And the last one is by Laguna Blvd. Near Big Horn.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando LaO Sr. View Post
One of them can be seen on Elk Grove Blvd. and corner of Wymark. The other one is close to Grant line besides the proposed Mall construction. And the last one is by Laguna Blvd. Near Big Horn.
3 NEWLY built hospitals in EG?? don't think so...

At Bruceville & Hospital Drive you have Kaiser & Methodist...not new

The locations you mentioned are medical offices, not hospitals.
About South Sacramento
Quote:
We also offer a variety of convenient outpatient services at our Elk Grove Medical Offices off Big Horn Boulevard, and our new Elk Grove Promenade Medical Offices, located just off Highway 99, one mile south of the Elk Grove Auto Mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento