Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,332 times

Advertisements

You guys are great! Love the memories! Do you guys remember the fountains on K street mall?? I can’t find photos or anything online regarding them. I feel like Mandela effect over here like to didn’t exist but I remember playing in them and around them as a kid. Getting in trouble with my sibling for getting wet every time we go lol.. But I don’t have any proof it ever happened
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2020, 11:29 PM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
Some people in this town morn the destruction of the Alhambra Theater.

I morn the Best Products building.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/30/438...fce6e675_b.jpg

https://superradnow.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/405.jpg

https://images.adsttc.com/media/imag...jpg?1448867761

Old 10-02-2020, 07:29 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
We have wonderful memories of the original Sacramento Jazz Jubilee in Old Town when it was in its heyday as one of the premier Traditional Jazz festivals in the world. Fantastic jazz bands travelled from Europe (Allotria, Dixieland brass band from Munich, for example), Australia, and other countries to play at the festival, along with local bands like Bob Draga with Friends, Later years added Zydeco bands. Lots of dancing, good food and cold beer. Those were the days.

Allotria Jazzband München in the 1980's: https://img.discogs.com/elLfd26j7e1m...-6910.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Allotria-Jaz.../master/487701

Here's a link which tells more about the long-running (but sadly now over) festival, including its name change to Sacramento Music Jazz Festival:

Sacramento Jazz Festival and Jubilee Memorial Weekend

Old 10-06-2020, 02:37 PM

37 posts, read 22,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Rosemont Bar & Grill on Alhambra and J Street (?) with my great aunt and uncle, the latter retired from the California Dept. of Agriculture. He always ordered the amazing Rosemont Salad from the menu - crab, eggs, ham, cheese, asparagus, the works! The restaurant was said to be popular with Sacramento politicians.

Walking to class at Sacramento City College from my parking place deep inside Land Park, past the duck ponds. Watching the Vietnamese engineering students carry huge black and yellow calculus books, resolving to carry one of those books myself someday. I did.

A shady and serene S. Land Park neighborhood, the very picture of civilized life in a government town.

A Vietnamese refugee family in midtown, on the second floor of a roach-infested decrepit old building, in dire poverty and full of joy and laughter.

Long walks alone on the Sacramento River levee, in the Pocket, thinking about calculus problems and dreaming about nothing.

An all-night study session at Denny's near CSUS. It was around 2 or 3am. A rowdy group of blacks came in and made a lot of noise. After a while an older gentleman sitting not too far away from me walked over to them and politely asked them to be a little quieter. He was jeered. When he returned to his seat (next to mine), one of them hurled a full glass of water at him. Then they all got up and walked over to his table. One by one they poured food, drinks, and condiments over his head and walked out.

My regular Japanese barber on Freeport Blvd. A great conversationalist.

Freeport Bakery.

Tower Books and Records.

Mikshakes at Shari's on Florin Road with a girlfriend late at night.

Going door-to-door in the depressing industrial parks of Power Inn Road looking for work. Being asked in for an interview and hired on the spot.

The smell of Campbell's Soup - the factory, that is - in the early morning on Franklin Blvd.

My future wife telling me "it's a free country" when I asked to sit at her table at Sacramento City College.

A sociology class at CSUS in which I spoke up in defense of marriage and family and was roundly attacked for it. A pretty young Mexican lady accosting me after class and thanking me for speaking the truth.

A penitent Mexican girl, with a baby in her arms, walking on her knees towards the altar at St. Rose on Franklin Blvd.

Reading the prayer journal at St. Rose and being moved to tears.

Listening to Dvorak's "New World Symphony" in my wife's room at Mercy General Hospital the day my first child was born.

And you?
I can recall many of the things listed on this thread. So heartfelt and moving.

My how things have changed dramatically even from 2012 when you first posted. It would be interesting to see a compare/contrast from then and now.

For example, I recall as a CSUS student, having study sessions with my classmates and a cooler full of beer right there on the bike trail when the city security patrol was always nearby to make sure we were safe.

We had so many novel places to go. Does anyone remember the place in the Arden area that had pretty blue fountains with candles on the water? It eventually became the Elephant Bar. It was really pretty back in the day quite romantic.

Old 10-06-2020, 09:42 PM

209 posts, read 201,027 times
I grew up in Sacramento at this time and remember how much open space there was to play and wander! Good times playing bowling and video games at Birdcage and Sunrise Mall when it was booming and new and also roller skating. Miss those days. Also housing was way more affordable back then. I remember my first apartment in nice area walking distance to American River bike trail was $300 a month! Heck even on a $15/hour salary I did as well as I do now making way more money.

Old 10-08-2020, 11:13 AM

215 posts, read 144,034 times
the gun shows at the CAL EXPO were the good old days in the early 1980's

they had a lot more FREEDOM back then , now almost everything is banned or restricted, all our rights have been chipped away.

Old 10-08-2020, 02:19 PM

11,403 posts, read 5,960,793 times
The Toy Store in Arden Fair mall, when Sunrise Mall did not exist yet.

The Toy Store was the best.

Old 10-09-2020, 10:26 PM

209 posts, read 201,027 times
I miss the days of New Helvetia coffee house and City Suds in midtown Sacramento when I was in grad school and would drop laundry off and walk across the street to study and have coffee. Such a great place. Sad both are now gone. Also miss days of Beat Records, Tower Books and Records where I would get lost in music and books such good times.

Old 10-12-2020, 12:06 PM

141 posts, read 534,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post

A sociology class at CSUS in which I spoke up in defense of marriage and family and was roundly attacked for it. A pretty young Mexican lady accosting me after class and thanking me for speaking the truth.

And you?
What's the offense against marriage and family? Gay people are going to break into your house and start having gay sex in front of your family? You don't own family. You don't own marriage. Keep your taliban-like, sharia-like christian dogma out of other people's lives. And stay away from children.

Old 10-12-2020, 12:18 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
[quote=moovin;59386756]What's the offense against marriage and family? Gay people are going to break into your house and start having gay sex in front of your family? You don't own family. You don't own marriage. Keep your taliban-like, sharia-like christian dogma out of other people's lives. And stay away from children.[/quote]
Isn't that a racist comment? You don't even know what he said in the class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento