Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 03:10 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Yes and no. If you like swimming and boating, its terrific. Most summer days are in the 90s more or less. The California sun will give you a one day tan at no extra charge.
The humidity is very low, which is a pleasant change if you live on the eastern seaboard.
If you dont like heat, you will be miserable as it ramps up in June and cools down in October.
My 2c worth!
The Tule fog in the winter can get depressing to some if it lingers. Sac can get pretty darn cold in the winter, but almost never have any snow at all, at least in the flatlands, so no shoveling. And even when the fog makes driivng dicey, it usually doesn't last all that long, and doesn't compare with snow and ice (which you can easily avoid, even if you like to ski; on bad days, you avoid the mountains). I have a friend who lived in Sac for many years. Now he's in San Diego and would never return to Sac's summer heat, but for others it is really not a big deal and there's more greenery a short drive from Sac than there is near SD.

If you go to www.weather.com, enter Sacramento as the location, then, when today's weather appears, click on "Monthly" and then "Averages" and you can see average temps and rainfall. Other sites have the same info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 03:15 PM

4,624 posts, read 4,892,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
Sac can get pretty darn cold in the winter, but almost never have any snow at all, at least in the flatlands, so no shoveling.
But not that cold at all. Especially compared to the east coast . It's pretty easy to bike commute year round here. It's rare to even have frost on cars. But we did get a dusting of snow two years ago in Roseville. It was gone by 8 am though.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:57 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
The winter weather in Sacramento is mild compared to other portions of the central valley, and the tule fog is virtually nonexistent except for in the outlying low farmlands. Same thing with the summer heat..temperatures are milder but we do get heat waves. I find the heat to be overwheming at times, but it can be handled if I plan my outdoor activities (exercise, yard work vs recreation) accordingly. I just don't like 100 degree heat anymore.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:00 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I'm no fan of the heat, but generally I find it outdoor friendly in the dead of summer before noon, and after about 7:00 PM.
I agree, though I need to be out of the sun by 10 am for things like exercise...even a 15 minute walk at 10 am can be miserable.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:16 AM

41 posts, read 122,547 times
Bay Area weather is cooler than Sacramento in the summer. Closer to San Francisco.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:28 PM

60 posts, read 75,620 times
Thanks for the great information. I guess the heat may be bearable. From what I have seen, Sac. looks like a hidden gem. I would love to escape the gloomy grey damp east coast and settle in an area that is outdoorsy and livable. There are a tiny trickle of computer jobs in my area and that area seems more fertile. I would consider any area in Ca. that is livable. Entertainment,Nightlife, schools are no concern!

Old 04-29-2012, 04:51 AM

7 posts, read 9,610 times
Hummm Sacramento weather in the summer? I've lived here for more than 30 years, that alone should give you an idea. I too lived on the east coast, Alexandria, Va. Moved out here with my brothers and sisters. I can tell you the heat here in Sac. cannot be compared to anywhere else. The sun can get so hot you'd think you walked right into an oven. I've seen summers where it has gone to 114 for a week, or 85. It varies, and by large numbers. It also offers the coast, and the mountains, so getting out of the heat is possible. Nights can be unbearable too. Go to sleep at 10pm and it's 95 degrees outside, I found sleeping under a damp beach towel helps.
Yes, lots of people here use their air cond. and most people pray they have electrity to keep them running. Sacramento is a desert with trees. Good luck with your research, maybe rent until you get the hang of the weather, Just in case it's to much for you. A lot of folks bought houses here in Sacramento during the boom, But when summer hit, they and their houses flooded the market, as the heat was the number one reason for leaving.....

Old 04-29-2012, 12:08 PM

31 posts, read 60,485 times
1. Sacramento is not considered a desert.

2. The night time temperatures during the summer look a lot better than what I experience in Phoenix. In Sacramento, the lows get down to about 60, while in Phoenix, the average low is 83 in July.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:46 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Sacramento is a beautiful city. During the summer everyone gets their kayaks and head for the rivers. YOU WILL LOVE IT. Good luck to you.

Last edited by eureka1; 04-29-2012 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 04-29-2012, 02:57 PM

38,880 posts, read 22,864,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecityslicker View Post
Hummm Sacramento weather in the summer? I've lived here for more than 30 years, that alone should give you an idea. I too lived on the east coast, Alexandria, Va. Moved out here with my brothers and sisters. I can tell you the heat here in Sac. cannot be compared to anywhere else. The sun can get so hot you'd think you walked right into an oven. I've seen summers where it has gone to 114 for a week, or 85. It varies, and by large numbers. It also offers the coast, and the mountains, so getting out of the heat is possible. Nights can be unbearable too. Go to sleep at 10pm and it's 95 degrees outside, I found sleeping under a damp beach towel helps.
Yes, lots of people here use their air cond. and most people pray they have electrity to keep them running. Sacramento is a desert with trees. Good luck with your research, maybe rent until you get the hang of the weather, Just in case it's to much for you. A lot of folks bought houses here in Sacramento during the boom, But when summer hit, they and their houses flooded the market, as the heat was the number one reason for leaving.....
I lived in Sacramento before. One of the reasons I moved back to SoCal was the summer heat was a bit too intense for my liking. I could remember when I lived there, during one week in July, every single day was between 105-115 degrees F. I could also remember that during the summer, shady parking spaces, like under trees, were at a premium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento