Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 04:13 PM

130 posts, read 384,498 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband currently works at a restaurant chain and was recently offered a promotion to a manager position at a location their location in Elk Grove. I figured there'd be no way we could do this move since we assumed it would be too expensive but we actually found tons of apartments that are extremely affordable, way more affordable than where we are now. Is Elk Grove a safe town? I'm worried that since it is so cheap it may be a little rough. Any help would be appreciated! Based on the responses we may drive around the town and see some apartments when we go to visit his sister who lives in Sacramento.

I would just ask her for advice but to be honest I don't think we'd get a fair opinion from her. She's been wanting us to move to Cali ever since she moved there so she has some family with her and she'd probably be very biased.

From my research gas prices seem to be a little bit higher than it is for us here on Long Island, but we would be saving a lot on housing so I think we'd be okay.

If Elk Grove isn't a good area, can you recommend any other towns that are also affordable but are safe and nearby? We can probably afford to pay up to $850 a month. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 04:26 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Elk Grove isn't bad, it can be a little rough toward the northern areas but overall it is OK.

It was undergoing heavy development when the economy came crashing down, so it got caught a bit with overbuilding of residential and commercial areas. They got a bit ahead of themselves in terms of how desirable the area was, so some stuff is a partially built or vacant at this time.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:27 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,295 times
Elk Grove is pretty safe and have good schools. It's safe enough for me to buy a house here. Now, is it 100% safe, nothing can go wrong even if I left your front door open all night? No. But it's safe enough that I don't lock my car doors. I don't have to worry about gangs, drive by shootings, home invasion, etc.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:25 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Elk Grove is safe. It's a typical suburban, family oriented town with big chain stores. Many houses were built in the last few years. Like NewToCA said, it got caught in the bubble and the rental prices reflect the declined housing value. A lot of investors swooped in and bought so there are a lot of rental stocks; ie. a lot of supply so the prices are artificially depressed. Downside is a bit far from the job centers but I guess that doesn't concern you guys. I personally think Elk Grove (and Natomas) is over-correcting and there are many bargains.

If you don't like Elk Grove for whatever reason, try Greenheaven/Pocket just one freeway exit north. It's a more established neighborhood but not as many rentals and prices are higher.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:35 PM

Thank you all for your replies, I will drive around Elk Grove when I visit my sister in law. I'm really glad that it's not a place I should be worried about

@beb0p; what is the zip code for Greenheaven/Pocket? I can't seem to find it and when I type in Greenheaven or Pocket on the homes.com I don't get anything.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:15 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
If you look at a map of Sacramento, the Pocket/Greenhaven area is just to the west of I-5, south of Fruitridge Rd.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:17 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
95831 is the Pocket plus a little sliver between I-5 and 160. It's a neighborhood of Sacramento, not a city so that's why nothing is coming up. The entire Sacramento region is pretty inexpensive. To be sure, Elk Grove isn't really desirable, but it's pretty nice. Nicer than Natomas or most of Sacramento, not as nice as Roseville or Folsom. It's too new and too big box for my taste, but that's just personal preference.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:03 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Yup, 95831 is the zip code. Pocket is to the west of I-5. The east of I-5 is kinda sketchy, is not Greenheaven, but some rentals falsely advertise as being in Pocket/Greenheaven.

Pocket-Greenhaven, Sacramento, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-11-2012, 11:46 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,604,186 times
I'd say that most of Elk Grove is actually safer than Pocket-Greenhaven. The latter seems more affluent, but you get more petty crime spilling over from south Sacramento. For some reason I-5 isn't much of a barrier.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:30 AM

Thank you so much for your help! I'm actually really liking Elk Grove so I'm really excited to drive around in a few weeks and check out some apartments and as long as we like it there my husband is going to accept the job offer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento