U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 13,073 times
Default Gay Life In Sacramento Area

Hi,

I am thinking of mabe relocating to the Sacramento area.....does anyone know about the gay life there?

THank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 06:06 PM

180 posts, read 485,074 times
There was just a thread on this a couple months ago (where I chimed in). This might help, too:

gay friendly neighborhoods?

We're a two mom family, but with the little one's we don't really do many nightlife activities. If we do, the most we do is the mall play area in the evening! LOL!! There are a few bars, Faces probably being the most popular. I believe the area is called the Lavender District? Lavender Heights? There is 1 or 2 gay newspapers in the area (honestly, they are going to take away my lesbian card because I really only know about "mom guess what" mag). What kind of activities are you looking for? Do you have kids? What area will you be living in?

Old 09-25-2007, 06:07 PM

180 posts, read 485,074 times
Here's a link to Mom Guess What. This might help, too.

MGW Magazine :: Progressive Life West Coast

Old 09-25-2007, 07:57 PM

721 posts, read 1,418,484 times
Sacramento is relatively liberal in the city proper. In the midtown area there are about a dozen or so gay owned clubs, bars, and businesses and many other businesses that are "gay friendly". The community is small but growing rapidly and I hear its a comfortable place to relocate if you are a gay person in a long term relationship. If you are young, single, and like to party I would expect that you might get antsy and really bored compared to the excitement of bigger cities like San Francisco or Los Angeles. I would stay far away from the suburbs especially South Placer County, (Roseville, Rocklin, Granite Bay, etc.), where it's extremely morally and politically conservative. That area is not particularly accepting of anyone other than white, heterosexual republicans and have heard many tales of racial intolerance and homophobia there.
I worked out in Rocklin for five years and we used to call that area "Mini Texas".

Old 09-27-2007, 12:41 AM

17 posts, read 82,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
I would stay far away from the suburbs especially South Placer County, (Roseville, Rocklin, Granite Bay, etc.), where it's extremely morally and politically conservative. That area is not particularly accepting of anyone other than white, heterosexual republicans and have heard many tales of racial intolerance and homophobia there.
I worked out in Rocklin for five years and we used to call that area "Mini Texas".
Oh, what a surprise! Yes, there are some of us out there who are not politically correct, liberal or embracing gay lifestyle. Remeber, this is not a Bay Area (thank God)!

Old 09-27-2007, 09:01 AM

375 posts, read 1,141,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
I would stay far away from the suburbs especially South Placer County, (Roseville, Rocklin, Granite Bay, etc.), where it's extremely morally and politically conservative. That area is not particularly accepting of anyone other than white, heterosexual republicans and have heard many tales of racial intolerance and homophobia there.
That is way out of line! I have to disagree with your statement. There are plenty of people in this area (South Placer, Roseville, Rocklin, Granite Bay, etc.) who are gay. Also most do NOT have racial intolerance & homophobia!!! Remember most of the folks in these areas are highly educated, not some drop outs from Rio Linda! Sure you might find a few of the lower educated scum bags that don't have a clue, but it's NOT the majority.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:30 AM

3,177 posts, read 9,679,299 times
I really can't say anybody is homophobic in Sac - it's quite open. Of course the most liberal area is Midtown. I was told (after moving there) I lived in the Lavendar District. To me everyone was just living and being neighbors. But of course when it was an election year - it was all about the green party around there - that was what I noticed.

I have a wonderful friend who was a lesbian couple and they had a house out in Davis. But I think mostly because they wanted good schools for their kids, not because it's liberal (which it is)

Old 09-27-2007, 11:29 AM

238 posts, read 864,369 times
My wife and I are fairly left-leaning and live in Roseville. In my albeit short duration here, I think people have generally kept their whatever religious/political views and agendas they may have, to themselves, and that's true of us too. She's a teacher in Davis, and politically/culturally I think it might have been a better fit for us, but overall Roseville has a little more of what we want in a place to settle down. Of course, diversity (in terms of either race, religion, or sexual orientation) is not a trait that Roseville is particularly known for -- deep inside of me I think I still let out a little cheer every time I see a fellow ethnic minority here -- but I think that's changing for the better, slowly but surely.

Eh, sorry for getting a bit off topic.

But yes, I would agree with CityGirl that midtown Sac, or Davis (doubly agree on the awesome schools!) would be ideal for GLBT.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:08 PM

721 posts, read 1,418,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADRMNDANES View Post
That is way out of line! I have to disagree with your statement. There are plenty of people in this area (South Placer, Roseville, Rocklin, Granite Bay, etc.) who are gay. Also most do NOT have racial intolerance & homophobia!!! Remember most of the folks in these areas are highly educated, not some drop outs from Rio Linda! Sure you might find a few of the lower educated scum bags that don't have a clue, but it's NOT the majority.

Ok, I'll rephrase:
Based on my personal experiences in the five years I worked out there, I find that area somewhat intelorant of minorities and gay people. You can't even begin to imagine some of the absoultely ignorant and outrageous comments I caught wind of over the years. I worked with three gay women, (one of whom was also black), and one gay man who were all native to the area and heard many of the same gruesome tales of prejuduce, whether blatant or subtle, and an overall lack of acceptance. I'm a hispanic, yet heterosexual male, and found to be treated quite poorly in Placer County compared to individuals I interact with in Sacramento or any other metropolitan area I've lived in. Where they treating me differently because of my race? I may never know the answer for sure. The one thing I do know is that many of the folks that live there may be educated as you point out, but most truly lead a completely sheltered existance in their own little microcosmos. They have preconceived notions of what certain people are like, mostly because they never interact with them on a personal level which only excaerbates their ignorance. When it comes to minorities, the gay community, democrats, or anyone else that is different from the existing status quo, I feel Placer County can be so very backwards in many respects.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,450 times
I moved from the Bay Area to Grass Valley/Auburn several years ago with my now ex-girlfriend. I have found some decent friends and even met a few gay/lesbian friends.... but I have gotta say-- this is not the place to be single (and gay) in your late twenties - early thirties. I'm not sure moving is the remedy (I really am ok with being single-- just not so sure if I am for the rest of my life ), but at this moment I seriously am considering moving back to the Bay Area. I interact with the public on a daily basis in my profession, so I feel I have observed a good amount of residents as well as out of towners.... and well.... here I am...stepping outside of my comfort box.... Maybe I'll try to fnd some local events or maybe going online might not be such a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento