Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,493 times

Advertisements

We would like to put a fence around our front yard which is zero lot zone but we are confused as to exactly where our property line starts from.

Our neighbors front part of the garage wall is about 1.5 feet but their driveway is away from that wall. So our grass begins at the edge of their driveway. We would like to know whether our property line begins from the edge of our neighbors driverway or from the neighbors outer side wall of the house.

Please note that the neighbors house and driveway are not in the same alignment; the driveway is 1.5 feet inside of the side wall of the house alignment.

We appreciate your help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 07:51 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,995,484 times
You would have to pay to get a survey to know your property lines. You might also check with the city or HOA if they allow front yard fences and if you need a permit.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:39 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
If the neighbor does not share cost you are legally supposed to install the fence in your property and not centered on property line. This may have to be a few inches inside the line or even a foot. Check with county planning

Old 06-12-2012, 08:09 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,272 times
I lived in such a place, built by Streng Brothers, near American River College several years ago. I think the HOA had rules regarding fences. Check with them first. If there is an HOA where you live, they may be able to help you with determiining the exact property line, as well (i.e., where to direct you; you are probably not the first person to ask).

Old 06-12-2012, 11:54 AM

762 posts, read 2,030,100 times
Assessors office?

Old 06-12-2012, 12:30 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
I lived in such a place, built by Streng Brothers, near American River College several years ago. I think the HOA had rules regarding fences. Check with them first. If there is an HOA where you live, they may be able to help you with determiining the exact property line, as well (i.e., where to direct you; you are probably not the first person to ask).
That is too funny, a HOA being helpful.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:52 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,591,884 times
You shouldn't need to pay for a survey - your property lines should be described on the deed to your house. If you don't still have a copy (from when you bought the house), you should be able to get a copy from the county.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:59 PM

168 posts, read 554,205 times
Request a Recorded Map from the Sacramento County Clerk-Recorder or Recorder's Office or local county recorder's office (assuming Sac County in this response). From there you can locate built in monuments into the ground (either a circular plate or metal rod). This is the point where your property lines meet. It can be in asphalt as well, but you can generally find it in your backyard as well.

If it is a zero-lot line development, check with your local jursidiction's planning department for any Planned Development Overlays. This should dictate where a fence could go. Remember, your local government does not enforce HOA rules, only zoning and municipal code regulations as adopted by ordinance by your legislative body.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,577 times
I live in Sacramento county and my home has a zero property line. My neighbor recently built a wood shed full of fire wood that is up against the south wall of my house on a utility easement. I know it's against the county codes, but how can I get her to remove it without creating a problem. We have always gotten along and I really like her. Any advise?

Old 10-02-2016, 10:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loremarks View Post
I live in Sacramento county and my home has a zero property line. My neighbor recently built a wood shed full of fire wood that is up against the south wall of my house on a utility easement. I know it's against the county codes, but how can I get her to remove it without creating a problem. We have always gotten along and I really like her. Any advise?
Talk to her.

Tell her you're concerned about the wood being up against your house - for all of the reasons that can be a problem.

She won't like it. So, be prepared for that.

And remember that she was a twit for doing what she did, and she never should have done it without discussing it with you - and she knows that. But, she'll act like you're being a horrible person for calling her out on it, and how can you do so - she thought you were friends!!!

Which, of course, means she's not really your friend at all. But, an idiot who would take advantage of the fact that you think you are her friend, and go ahead and build a wood shed up against your house, with the thinking that it's easier to get forgiveness than permission. Or beyond that, that it will be easy to bully you into letting her keep it.

But, make no mistake, she knew she shouldn't do this without discussing it with you. And she's banking on either you not saying anything based on her perception of you as weak, or because you think of her as a friend - or that she can bully you into letting her keep it, if you actually do say anything.

So, be ready for things to be unfriendly forever more, when you stand up for your right to make her move it. Which you should do, because it will damage your property, invite pests, and create a fire hazard.

What a twit. Sorry you have to deal with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
View detailed profiles of: