U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 11:15 AM

50 posts, read 193,734 times

Advertisements

Sacramento is also often referred to as the "City of Trees."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 05:42 PM

87 posts, read 459,253 times
I understand it's the city of tree's/valley and has rivers. So do deserts as well. I mean deserts are in valley's. Deserts have rivers such as the great COLORADO RIVER and deserts have tree's, including oak in some southern cal area's. I was just wondering in general out of curiousity what Sac was classified.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:56 PM

100 posts, read 406,408 times
Sacramento is in no way a desert, it receives a significant amount of rainfall each year, although during the summer it seems sort of like a desert as it gets very dry an cloudless. I believe to be a desert a place needs to get 12 inches or less of rainfall per year and Sacramento gets well above this annually. There is high desert in a very thin part of northern California along the Nevada border (on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevadas) but other than that the desert does not start until somewhere in southern California, I'm not sure where but I'm guessing its somewhere near the longitude of Bakersfield.

Also, the temperature of a place has nothing to do with whether or not its a desert, there are a lot of areas in the West in general that are high, or elevated, deserts where the temperatures may be cooler than Sacramento but they receive less rainfall. Also, the fact that Sacramento is in the valley is not relevant as to whether it is a desert as the northern half, or so, of the central valley is not a desert but as you get down towards the grapevine it turns into a desert.. in the winter you can notice this as it will be clear when you leave LA driving north on I-5 but as you get towards Stockton it can be a full rainstorm.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:26 PM

279 posts, read 779,710 times
Default have to think on this one

At one time it was called that. This was many moons ago and way before any irrigation was in place. It also was and is a land of river bottoms and marshes. Was it desert like Death Valley, most of Nevada, southern Idaho, eastern Oregon or Arizona? No. dose it get hot? Yes but not like Arizona around phoenix or calif's own Death Valley. Dose it get foggy in the winter? Some times. Is it close to the mountains or hills? Yes right at the foot of both depending how you look at it or call it. Dose it snow? Yes but so rare it is not even worth talking about and when it doses it is BIG TIME NEWS!
I personal live in the Fresno area and we do get a bit hotter here then there. We are about 200 miles south and the farther south you go the dryer it is tell you get to the other valley or basin called the L.A. area.
Sac is a great town to live in if you can deal with all the people as there is so much close boating snow skiing and well every thing is like a days drive or less away from the ocean and he redwoods to the high mountains and alpine lakes or snow skiing were other can you live were one day you can go and surf the ocean waves and the next be snow skiing in the high mountains? Go deep sea fishing one day and the next be on an alpine mountain stream fly fishing. And what other state has as many national parks as we in calif have? So no matter what your flavor is you will find it even small towns like the closest town to me is only 400 people and yet only 20 miles is Fresno at 400,000+ pop.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:56 PM

8,540 posts, read 6,519,547 times
Not even close..

Old 10-08-2007, 11:53 PM

430 posts, read 954,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california_guy110 View Post
Sacramento is in no way a desert, it receives a significant amount of rainfall each year, although during the summer it seems sort of like a desert as it gets very dry an cloudless. I believe to be a desert a place needs to get 12 inches or less of rainfall per year and Sacramento gets well above this annually. There is high desert in a very thin part of northern California along the Nevada border (on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevadas) but other than that the desert does not start until somewhere in southern California, I'm not sure where but I'm guessing its somewhere near the longitude of Bakersfield.

Also, the temperature of a place has nothing to do with whether or not its a desert, there are a lot of areas in the West in general that are high, or elevated, deserts where the temperatures may be cooler than Sacramento but they receive less rainfall. Also, the fact that Sacramento is in the valley is not relevant as to whether it is a desert as the northern half, or so, of the central valley is not a desert but as you get down towards the grapevine it turns into a desert.. in the winter you can notice this as it will be clear when you leave LA driving north on I-5 but as you get towards Stockton it can be a full rainstorm.
Actually, there is true desert on the east side of the Diablo range and farther south on the east side of the mountains and foothills on the west side of the San Joaquin valley. I have been there. Thar area, as well as semi-arid areas to the west, includes a great deal of publicly accessible BLM land, though overall it is mostly private property or BLM property lacking public access. It is actual desert, though, largely desert scrub or arid grassland mixed with scattered shrubs and some juniper, -with under 10' annual rainfall per year.

But no, The city of Sacramento is definitely not desert in any way.

Last edited by bigtallredhead; 10-09-2007 at 12:02 AM..

Old 10-15-2007, 01:29 AM

14,380 posts, read 12,279,113 times
Sacramento is not considered a desert at all. The average annual rainfall there is about 17 inches. That is not a lot. But in general, deserts receive 10 inches of rainfall or less on an annual basis.

So Sacramento would be the next thing up from a desert--semi-arid. Generally, considered a Mediterranean climate---long, dry summer with moderately wet winter.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:28 PM

18 posts, read 31,135 times
Yeah Sacramento isnt a desert
well it feels like one from June To September then the rest of the year is mild rainy and foggy

Old 01-09-2010, 11:53 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,408,280 times
The best known high desert is the Mojave in California in northern LA county & San Bernardino county around Palmdale and the Edward air force base salt flats. Because of high elevation [around 2000'] & very dry air, it gets down right cold on winter nights and is very hot during summer though not as hot as the low desert of Coachella & Imperial valleys.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:10 PM

351 posts, read 684,756 times
SoCal78,

according to the FRAP precipitation map, here:

California Average Annual Precipitation Map - Full Size

it looks like the high desert (Palmdale/Lancaster) is about 2.5"/yr. Sacramento looks like 17-18"/yr of rainfall, annually.

Just 40 miles east of Sacramento, in the El Dorado County foothills, rainfall is 35"/yr.

I would not classify Sacramento as a desert due to its annual rainfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento