Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 02:18 PM

5 posts, read 6,333 times

Advertisements

In terms of population, large businesses that start up/move here and stay here, more buildings and skyscrapers, etc. Like a global city. I've always been fascinated with large, urban cities, probably because that's what I was exposed to as a kid. Lived for about two years each in both Seattle and San Diego, then my parents chose to settle in Elk Grove. I've been here for 12 years, somewhat hoping that Sacramento would meet my expectations. My dad always talks about moving back up to Seattle and my mom is the same way about San Diego, but I can tell they'll be here for a long time due to how the state's economy has been over the past few years.

I'm currently enrolled over at Sac State, working for a state agency in downtown. Planning on transferring to UC Davis for my third year and graduating from there. But ugh, every year I spend here feels lamer than the last. Don't get me wrong, Sacramento offers a lot of great activities to do and sights to see. It's just that it can't compare to the vibes that many other American cities give off. Should I stick around here for a few more years and see what happens, or would I be better off just moving to a city I like more as soon as I graduate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 03:07 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,544,521 times
I actually like Sacramento precisely because it isn't a huge. It's an affordable, laid-back, family oriented mid-sized city. The fact that it is the capital of a state that is known around the world, makes Sacramento global by default. The fact that there is an international airport makes it global as well. Sacramento doesn't need to be a busy and hectic city.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:37 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,846,479 times
Sacramento will not be the huge global city you are expecting any time soon. Unless for some reason, many businesses start to move here. So you might as well move down to San Francisco, which is bigger than Seattle or SD, if that's what you are looking for.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:38 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,117,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeigzalar View Post
In terms of population, large businesses that start up/move here and stay here, more buildings and skyscrapers, etc. Like a global city. I've always been fascinated with large, urban cities, probably because that's what I was exposed to as a kid. Lived for about two years each in both Seattle and San Diego, then my parents chose to settle in Elk Grove. I've been here for 12 years, somewhat hoping that Sacramento would meet my expectations. My dad always talks about moving back up to Seattle and my mom is the same way about San Diego, but I can tell they'll be here for a long time due to how the state's economy has been over the past few years.

I'm currently enrolled over at Sac State, working for a state agency in downtown. Planning on transferring to UC Davis for my third year and graduating from there. But ugh, every year I spend here feels lamer than the last. Don't get me wrong, Sacramento offers a lot of great activities to do and sights to see. It's just that it can't compare to the vibes that many other American cities give off. Should I stick around here for a few more years and see what happens, or would I be better off just moving to a city I like more as soon as I graduate?
Based upon your personal taste and objectives, I'd recommend that you move.

It is possible that Sacramento may evolve into the type of city you seek, but I'd say that if it happens it won't happen within the next couple of decades. There is too much to overcome, in terms of vacant office space and lost equity in housing. I've seen quite a few cities morph like you suggest, but I don't see Sacramento in a financial position to move in that direction within the next 15-20 years.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:49 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,781,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeigzalar View Post
In terms of population, large businesses that start up/move here and stay here, more buildings and skyscrapers, etc. Like a global city.
In terms of population? Not unless and until it annexes the urban county areas around it, also known as "the uncity", before the uncity areas incorporate themselves. And if the uncity areas do that, never.

In terms of large businesses? Not until this state gets a massive political makeover. As it stands, California is on its way to becoming a business bashing "Rust Belt" with nice weather.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,323,682 times
My wife lived and worked in Sacramento as an adult for about 25 years and I did so for almost 19. In that time we both saw many projects discussed, conceptualized, planned and begun with few being finished. As NewToCA said, the type of growth the OP is talking about will likely take decades more to evolve if it does at all.

I don't see that as necessarily being a bad thing unless and until something can be done to attract business, a manufacturing base and growth beyond more sprawl and developments full of little boxes made of ticky-tacky. I, for one, would never wish to live in a larger city and I think that becoming one would rob Sacramento of some of its character and charm. It's no San Diego, Los Angeles or San Francisco and for that I think people should be thankful.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:12 PM

1,789 posts, read 2,907,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
little boxes made of ticky-tacky.
lol. haven't heard that in awhile!

Old 06-14-2012, 05:14 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,237,252 times
After I become mayor it will be the next Tokyo

Old 06-14-2012, 05:41 PM

5 posts, read 6,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
After I become mayor it will be the next Tokyo
I like your thinking, I've had more than one dream going something like this

I can say I'm happy I grew up here, as Joy74 mentioned-it's a great town for families. On the other hand, I'd have to disagree on it being well-known though. Everybody's heard of California, but during my travels, I've met many people who had no clue what/where Sacramento was. I've gotten in arguments with adults over whether it was the capitol lol.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:51 PM

21,658 posts, read 24,789,425 times
Not in 10 years. In 20 years the Railyards might be close to buildout, which while interesting doesn't seem like it will include any skyscrapers of Fortune 500 companies relocating their HQ to Sacramento.

Move away for a few years. If you come back, you'll probably appreciate it more. I know I do. The only two things that really bother me about Sacramento are the air quality (exercise induced asthma sufferer) and the politics. Other than that, it's great. Laid back, affordable, good food, good people, not all the ego emissions. Seattle is still might be my favorite city, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento