Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 04:13 PM

39 posts, read 67,493 times

Advertisements

We raised six kids here and have owned the same Carmichael house since 1986. Four of our six kids have moved out of the State and bluntly told us they will not raise their kids in Sacramento. Two of those four were victims of serious criminal acts which thankfully resulted in arrest and prosecution. I grew up here in Carmichael in the '60's. It is no longer the safe community it once was. Retail business is suffering, closed buildings are everywhere and panhandlers are at nearly every major intersection. A few years ago then Sheriff McGinnis told County residents to arm themselves because Sacramento County was going to resemble Mexico City. This was an obvious referrence to the gangland killings and lawlessness. He was right. Years ago I would never have thought the day would come when I would hear gunfire in the neighborhood and not be surprised. To make it worse, the law enforcement response is very delayed and the criminals know it. Our Sheriff just threatened early release of 540 prisoners into the community due to budget cuts. We finally gave up and bought a house and property out of State. We aren't selling the Carmichael house in this market and it's paid off so there is no reason to. Anyone considering moving here with kids, make sure you move into an outlying area with good schools and neighborhoods. The crime and violence is working it's way to those area's too, but you still have a few good years left. Maybe you can get out before it catches up to you there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 09:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,683 times
Hi!
Oh my, I thought Orlando, FL was bad! I just applied for a job in Sacramento and based on all the comments I may withdraw my application. I'm single, in my 30's and just looking for a change- don't care for the crazy nightlife...just want to come home and be safe. I love shopping, nice restaurants, museums, etc. but hate traffic, and hectic cities. I'm confused, please advise.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:40 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacie130 View Post
Hi!
Oh my, I thought Orlando, FL was bad! I just applied for a job in Sacramento and based on all the comments I may withdraw my application. I'm single, in my 30's and just looking for a change- don't care for the crazy nightlife...just want to come home and be safe. I love shopping, nice restaurants, museums, etc. but hate traffic, and hectic cities. I'm confused, please advise.
What comments bother you?

Did you read the thread about life in Midtown?

Is this really Midtown?

Old 06-18-2012, 10:34 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
Sacramento isn't particularly hectic--in fact, the main complaint I hear is that it isn't hectic enough. The original poster doesn't actually live in the city of Sacramento--they are talking about the suburb of Carmichael, several miles outside of Sacramento. It is in the unincorporated county, and because the county government is stretched paper-thin, some of the older neighborhoods are having a rough time (these are completely built out neighborhoods that have no city government of their own.) We have traffic, although it's nowhere nearly as bad as in really large metros.

As far as Sacramento County resembling Mexico City, no, that's just plain nuts.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacie130 View Post
Hi!
I am native to Sacramento (50+ years) and if you and I were riding around in a car I could point out area's to stay away from as well as places where you can take a walk and be reasonably safe. It's not all bad here, but the bad used to be insignificant compared to the good. Now it seems the pendulum has swung the other way. Area's which I would have told you were safe a few years ago are now area's I would tell you to absolutely stay away from at any cost. If you have a good job offer in this economy that's important. Just be very careful when choosing your neighborhood. We are moving because we just couldn't take it anymore and it is so sad knowing what the area was, and what it could be. When our kids moved and told us they aren't coming back that made our final decision that much easier.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:26 AM

9 posts, read 16,674 times
Carmichael used to be considered a nicer place in the area. It's adjacent to Arden Park (95864) so people who live in Carmichael (95608) stretch the boundary since both places are in Sac County. I will say there are stretched of Carmichael that are nice even!

There are many places in Sacramento that are nice. Unfortunately gun violence is a part of our society and has been. It's not exclusive to a certain neighborhood or city either. With crime logs of every major metro area online why don't people go to the police logs for the facts??

Sacramento is not hectic. We have a rush hour but that's it. You will need to have a car to live here. It's how we roll. The public transportation isn't great. I live 10 miles from downtown and there is limited public transportation to get down there.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:14 AM

39 posts, read 59,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICMTM View Post
With crime logs of every major metro area online why don't people go to the police logs for the facts??
Hi there, can you post a link to this at all? Ive seen other links but the info wasnt clear or didnt show up, much appreciated if you can, thanks

Old 06-19-2012, 08:30 AM

9 posts, read 16,674 times
CrimeView Community Incident Map - Sac County

https://www.crimereports.com/ City of Sac/Citrus Heights

Roseville, CA Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Roseville - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here - Roseville

Elk Grove Police Department: Crime Statistics - Elk Grove

City of West Sacramento - Crime Mapping - West Sacramento

Basically put in Crime map and whatever city you want to find your data (ie Crime Map Folsom)

Look to see what filters are in place as not all maps are created the same. Most things you should already know (like South Sac has a lot of issues) but some things you may find interesting, Like Old Roseville is just as bad.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by News1234 View Post
Hi there, can you post a link to this at all? Ive seen other links but the info wasnt clear or didnt show up, much appreciated if you can, thanks
Check out Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedand be sure to read all of the reviews of Sacramento at the bottom. You can click here Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed to see the crime information.

Here is an excerpt of what you will read about the crime;
"Sacramento, CA, violent crime, on a scale from 1 (low crime) to 10, is 8. Violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. The US average is 4."

A majority of the Sacramento reviews you will read on the above link confirm my original posting on this thread. I know local real estate agents don't like this information getting out considering the number of foreclosures is ridiculous and selling homes is pretty tough already, but I'm not a real estate agent and anyone considering moving here needs to know the truth, while there are some nice area's left you better get your checkbook out because you will pay for it.

Last edited by Yac; 07-11-2012 at 06:26 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 01:27 PM

39 posts, read 59,506 times
thanks guys, much appreciated, my wife and i and our 6 children are headed over shortly to rent for a while and have been having trouble finding info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento