U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-17-2012, 11:04 AM

10 posts, read 10,628 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving from San Francisco to Sacramento, and we'd love to hear from others who have done the same, or from those who have lived in, or have perspective on, both cities.

We're in our mid-30s, child on the way, and we run a home-based graphic design business with stable existing clientele, so can pretty much work anywhere as long as I'm able to drive to the Bay Area to meet with clients on occasion. We want to buy a house, but SF real estate is so far out of reach for what we want, and we're not big fans of the East Bay (e.g., cost of living isn't in line with, say, the crappy city services in Oakland).

We don't know a whole lot about Sac, but we stop in Midtown for lunch/dinner every time we go to Tahoe, and we get smiles on our faces every time we're there. We've also driven around neighborhoods like Land Park and East Sac and like what we see.

Our profile matches those of most San Franciscans: professionals, like urban walkable areas, want proximity to good food/cafes/artsy stuff, sorta liberal (but not bleeding heart). We like vintage homes. With child on the way, good schools are an issue.

We're at a stage where living in an uber-hip, exciting city is not so important, but we do want a neighborhood that offers some of those amenities. The most appealing part of Sac is the prospect of a nice house for 300350K vs killing ourselves to pay a 800K mortgage in SF. The big downside is we'd be leaving friends/family in SF (most of whom think we're nuts to be considering Sac as an option!).
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 12:14 PM

7,584 posts, read 8,478,384 times
I'd add Curtis Park to the neighborhoods you have mentioned, but you seem to have the basics down already. Capitol Corridor trains make a San Francisco/Sacramento visit very convenient, even for a day trip, although it's a bear of a commute. I have noticed an influx of young families with kids in the central city, and with parents comes strong advocacy for better schools. Folks here will obviously encourage you to look at suburban schools, and I'm not a parent, but have known too many really smart kids who go to school in central city schools (and teachers at those schools, and parents who send their kids there) to discount them.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:38 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,959,143 times
The burbs here certainly don't fit the lifestyle you are seeking. It will be 5 years before you have to worry about schools, just find a neighborhood you like and hang around for a weekend to get the vibe.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:48 PM

457 posts, read 611,384 times
Sounds like you know the rights areas to look at. When the time comes you can just send your kids to the private schools which seems to be the norm. There are some good elementary schools but seems it goes downhill from their for the central city.

Schoolperformancemaps.com

Old 06-17-2012, 04:47 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,393,651 times
As a SF Native who has been living in Sac, do not listen to your friends. People from SF bash down Sac even when they do not know anything about it, and many of whom have never even been here.

Sacramento is a nice place to raise a family. There are also many unique neighborhoods.

I think East Sac, Land Park, Curtis Park are good places to start. Walkable neighborhoods close to downtown. It sounds like these areas will fit you.

If you dont mind being out in the suburbs, you can get a nice house in that price range in Folsom, El Dorado Hills, Roseville, or you can look at older suburbs like Orangevale, Carmichael, Fair Oaks, Pocket, South Land Park even parts of Arden to be closer to the city.

Don't listen to SFers who have never lived in Sac.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:58 AM

409 posts, read 397,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhowie74 View Post
My wife and I are considering moving from San Francisco to Sacramento, and we'd love to hear from others who have done the same, or from those who have lived in, or have perspective on, both cities.

We're in our mid-30s, child on the way, and we run a home-based graphic design business with stable existing clientele, so can pretty much work anywhere as long as I'm able to drive to the Bay Area to meet with clients on occasion. We want to buy a house, but SF real estate is so far out of reach for what we want, and we're not big fans of the East Bay (e.g., cost of living isn't in line with, say, the crappy city services in Oakland).

We don't know a whole lot about Sac, but we stop in Midtown for lunch/dinner every time we go to Tahoe, and we get smiles on our faces every time we're there. We've also driven around neighborhoods like Land Park and East Sac and like what we see.

Our profile matches those of most San Franciscans: professionals, like urban walkable areas, want proximity to good food/cafes/artsy stuff, sorta liberal (but not bleeding heart). We like vintage homes. With child on the way, good schools are an issue.

We're at a stage where living in an uber-hip, exciting city is not so important, but we do want a neighborhood that offers some of those amenities. The most appealing part of Sac is the prospect of a nice house for 300350K vs killing ourselves to pay a 800K mortgage in SF. The big downside is we'd be leaving friends/family in SF (most of whom think we're nuts to be considering Sac as an option!).
Hello,

We moved from SF about 5 years ago and with kids schools were a priority for us as well as easy commutes so we ended up in the suburbs. Here's our perspective:

Biggest challenges:
1Hot summers
2)Unfortunately few places in Sacramento would fit the urban walkable areas category (Midtown being the exception) and forget the suburbs for that.
3) You'll find yourself driving your car much more

1) Canopy of trees in Midtown and vicinity and the vibe of that neighborhood
2) Good restaurants both ethnic and high end in Sacramento
3) Proximity to SF, Tahoe
4) Diversity of cultures
5) Summer evenings cool down enough to be comfortable in all but the hottest days
6) More laid back

It will be a challenge to find a neighborhood in Sacramento that would have ALL your wish list items of hip vibe, good public schools, local eateries, cafes, galleries, etc. I would say Sacramento is a bit left of center overall (not extreme). We didnt consider living in Sacramento because of the overall situation with the public schools.

The suburbs have excellent public schools but skip politics in your conversations because places like Roseville, Folsom, and El Dorado Hills are on the conservative side. Additionally you wont find the type of vintage homes (character from a bygone era) in suburbia.

There are other pockets close to Sacramento that arent as conservative as the above suburbs yet have good schools and easy access to freeways but again in the suburbs the housing might not have the charm you are looking for and shopping and dining would be generic (big box retailers, Starbucks, etc).

In sum, If you are contemplating a move from SF to Sacramento you may need to make some trade offs (i.e living outside of Sacramento for access to good public schools, substitute vintage charm for a newer construction house, Suburban shopping and dining options vs artsy/trendy/hip cafes, galleries etc).

Old 06-18-2012, 12:19 PM

Many thanks to you all! This is all very helpful, especially from SF natives—such a nice counterpoint to the prevailing talking points you hear in SF about anything outside it and Oakland. Another thing appealing about Sac's cost of living is that we could likely afford private school, but certainly not in SF, where I'd guess the public school situation is even worse.

We're gonna take a weekend to hang out around Midtown/Land Park/Curtis Park. In the meantime, if anyone else has opinions, please chime in!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:46 PM

1,098 posts, read 566,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
As a SF Native who has been living in Sac, do not listen to your friends. People from SF bash down Sac even when they do not know anything about it, and many of whom have never even been here.

Sacramento is a nice place to raise a family. There are also many unique neighborhoods.

I think East Sac, Land Park, Curtis Park are good places to start. Walkable neighborhoods close to downtown. It sounds like these areas will fit you.

If you dont mind being out in the suburbs, you can get a nice house in that price range in Folsom, El Dorado Hills, Roseville, or you can look at older suburbs like Orangevale, Carmichael, Fair Oaks, Pocket, South Land Park even parts of Arden to be closer to the city.

Don't listen to SFers who have never lived in Sac.
Hear hear. The SF snobbery needs to be dismissed.

I think the authors would like Midtown best if they like a SF grid-like area.

Warning: the "climate change" might strike you. A hundred miles inland means a hundred degree Farenheit summers. But at least you won't need sweaters for those SF nights anymore.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:46 PM

585 posts, read 528,706 times
One other point that I think is worth mentioning. When you actually live here, you will somewhat acclimate to the heat. What I mean by that is that if you are visiting from Sacramento from San Francisco in the summer time when it hot, the transition from 63 degree foggy weather in SF in July to mid 90's in Sac may seem like a blast furnace. But when you live here you have a chance to acclimate so the mid 90 degree while a little unpleasant no longer seems quite so overwhelming. Second when you live here you find ways of adjusting to the heat. You might go swimming or water skiing when its hot and save activities like running and tennis for either the morning or early evenings when its not quite so hot. Second the summer nights in Sacramento are really surprisingly pleasant. In SF you probably wouldn't want to eat outdoors after dark in the summer time. In Sacramento, it can be nice to eat a meal or just eat an ice cream outside on the porch.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:57 PM

That would be a shock, I'm sure. Though we often long for warm summer evenings. The way I see it now, the summer climates in SF and Sac are equally undesirable for completely different reasons. Today, the sun finally made an appearance at 5:00 pm, and we had to run the heat in the morning. I don't think that's any better than sweltering 95 degrees—neither is pleasant to be outside. So when looking at the SF/Sac pros and cons, I'd say it's a wash for weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento