U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:10 PM

3 posts, read 12,819 times

Advertisements

What's Sacramento like for young professional 20-somethings? Is Midtown a good place to hang out in the evenings and at night? I've heard Sacramento has a blue-collar gritty and industrial feel many places in town. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 08:18 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,036,253 times
Not as good as San Francisco or LA, is that good enough or do you want to be in San Francisco or LA? Yes, but see previous. I wouldn't say so. Midtown doesn't feel at all gritty or blue collar, more Hipster and white collar. Edgy/Alt. culture perhaps, but that's the antithesis of blue collar.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:58 PM

8,325 posts, read 14,058,543 times
To the extent that the guy with sideburns and full-sleeve tattoos drinking a Pabst next to you in the dive bar probably has a Master's degree and works in an office, yeah.

It's a good place to hang out, it's also a good place to live.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:46 PM

670 posts, read 1,100,270 times
I can honestly say that it was exceedingly rare that the people with the full sleeve tattoos drinking Pabst in midtown had master degrees nor worked in offices. It far more likely that they were employees of tattoo parlors and night clubs in the area and occasionally something like an auto mechanic. I see nothing wrong with any of that, but I don't believe in misleading people either. If you are looking for that you can definitely find that in midtown, but there are other neighborhoods in the region too.

It might be more useful to compare what neighborhoods you know and like in areas you already like compare with neighborhoods in the Sacramento region.

Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Old 06-24-2012, 06:41 PM

I'm really curious though to hear perspectives on Sacramento's young professional singles scene, especially the downtown/midtown area. Any thoughts?

Old 06-24-2012, 07:17 PM

You can find bars, night clubs, restaurants and cafes in midtown. If you are looking to hook up, its one place you can look. But its not exactly the Marina district in San Francisco nor Santa Monica nor Pasadena in Southern California either. Its more like going to Long Beach in Southern California or Oakland in the Bay Area. If you are familiar with San Diego, I would say its more like Pacific Beach than the Gaslamp.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:00 PM

I'm not familiar with any of the SoCal nightlife spots. Can you compare it to any places on the east coast or Midwest?

Old 06-24-2012, 09:41 PM

I'm not saying all of them have master's degrees--but it's tough to judge by appearances. But it's a bit misleading to call a neighborhood whose main job sector (by a wide margin) is office work a gritty, industrial feeling place too. Sure, there are also mechanic shops, tattoo studios and nightclubs, and their employees. I guess I just know too many over-educated office workers who drink Pabst.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:22 AM

What Sacramento lacks are neighborhoods for young single professionals like say Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville or Evanston in the Chicago area. If you are looking for neighborhoods like that in Sacramento well there really still isn't anything like that. On the other hand if have been to those neighborhoods and you felt a little out of place in those neighborhoods, maybe you thought had too many yuppies or too many frat boys or too many shallow people, or any of the other terms of derision that people often apply to people who are more ambitious than them, then you probably will like Midtown. What Midtown has is a lot of people who work as service workers, maybe they are waiting tables, acting as bouncers, tending bar, working as baristas or they have either an entry level or a clerical position at a state agency and these generally are the people with the full sleeve arm tattoos drinking Pabst. These are also the people who have an undercurrent of blue collar resentment for people who seem or act too overtly ambitious. So you will hear residents of midtown talk about how laid back it is or how they want to keep midtown "Janky". While the residents of midtown aren't exactly steel workers, but aren't necessarily young professionals either and may not entirely welcome them either.

Keeping Midtown Janky | Midtown Monthly

Old 06-25-2012, 01:32 PM

Meh. I know the writer and the person interviewed in the article and also know a good chunk of the people who commented on it. Most of them are professionals of one stripe or another, most are heavily involved in Sacramento's creative/arts community (artists, gallery owners, professional musicians and writers), several have Master's degrees, and the majority have tattoos. If you're the sort who rates a city by how many skyscrapers, sports arenas, high-end fashion boutiques and ultra lounges it has, Sacramento might not meet up to your exacting standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or