Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 08:18 PM

30 posts, read 75,855 times

Advertisements

im not sure where else to post this. i was hoping someone here might have an idea. the neighbor directly across the street from me is a nuisance. she has her car stereo up so loud i can hear it in my house with all the doors and windows closed and the tv on. she has it that loud every time she comes and goes, or when she is cleaning it. sometimes she sits in it to do her make up or just takes forever to get into the car and just has the stereo going the whole time. (the worst part is her young kids are in the back seat). yesterday she was blasting it while she cleaned the car and i called the cops. they came about 5 minutes after she turned it off to talk on the phone so they kept driving. then she started it again, even louder. called the cops again but by the time they came she had gone in. the officer actually knocked on the door, but she wouldnt answer. i know the other neighbors are annoyed too, but to what extent im not sure. i recently talked to one right next to her and she said her windows shake when she blasts her stereo. she knows the owner, the mother of the person who lives there, and has asked the mother to deal with it. i guess she says something and the person turns it down for a week or so then goes right back to doing it. i am beyond frustrated with this situation. i have been woken up in the morning by her car stereo. we homeschool and there have been days where it has been very distracting. occasionally she will blast her house stereo the same way. this has only been going on for about 6 or so months since her mom moved out. i dont know the mom so i cant talk to her. i will not say anything to this lady because she is the type that would get very confrontational i think. she acts very "ghetto" (even though we live in a nice neighborhood) and she is always screaming at her kids to get in the car, or get in the house, etc. she was screaming at a guy on the phone a few times in front of her house where we could hear it in our house. so talking to her is out. any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 10:21 PM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
A couple of thought first have you tried talking to her diplomatically? There are people who get confrontational when they perceive that they are dealing with people who are confrontational with them. But when you ask nicely they may be much more willing to comply, especially if you mention the reasons behind your concerns, you trying to home school your children and the noise especially early in the morning is just too much of a distraction for them. Parents of children often have empathy for the problems of other parents of children and you may be able to tap into that. On the other hand since you have already called the police, it also may be too late for that.

If you decide to pursue a more confrontational approach, start creating a document trail. Keep a journal of your interactions with her and your interactions with the police regarding her. Especially note the names and positions of the police officers you dealt with, when you called, when they arrived and what where the outcomes of these calls. Most cities and local governments have local noise ordinances that limit when and how long someone can play amplified music without a special permit. If the police aren't resolving this issue than call code enforcement. It may be useful to actually have some recordings of the type of noise that she is making when the police aren't around.

It may be worthwhile to contact an attorney or to sue her in small claims court for creating a nuisance. From either place you should be able to get a court order limiting her ability to make noise and if she violates that, then you should be able to sue for damages.

Lastly it may just be easier to move somewhere else or just wait her out. Not all of the mentally ill are properly medicated. If you she is having this much difficulty getting along with her neighbors and her family, she is probably have an equally troubled path dealing with her employers and co-workers. At some point she is probably going to lose her job. Rent in East Sac isn't cheap, she will run out of money and half to move or seek treatment.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
A couple of thought first have you tried talking to her diplomatically? There are people who get confrontational when they perceive that they are dealing with people who are confrontational with them. But when you ask nicely they may be much more willing to comply, especially if you mention the reasons behind your concerns, you trying to home school your children and the noise especially early in the morning is just too much of a distraction for them. Parents of children often have empathy for the problems of other parents of children and you may be able to tap into that. On the other hand since you have already called the police, it also may be too late for that.

If you decide to pursue a more confrontational approach, start creating a document trail. Keep a journal of your interactions with her and your interactions with the police regarding her. Especially note the names and positions of the police officers you dealt with, when you called, when they arrived and what where the outcomes of these calls. Most cities and local governments have local noise ordinances that limit when and how long someone can play amplified music without a special permit. If the police aren't resolving this issue than call code enforcement. It may be useful to actually have some recordings of the type of noise that she is making when the police aren't around.

It may be worthwhile to contact an attorney or to sue her in small claims court for creating a nuisance. From either place you should be able to get a court order limiting her ability to make noise and if she violates that, then you should be able to sue for damages.

Lastly it may just be easier to move somewhere else or just wait her out. Not all of the mentally ill are properly medicated. If you she is having this much difficulty getting along with her neighbors and her family, she is probably have an equally troubled path dealing with her employers and co-workers. At some point she is probably going to lose her job. Rent in East Sac isn't cheap, she will run out of money and half to move or seek treatment.
I have thought alot about just talking to her. i mostly feel that no matter how i approach her she will take it as confrontational. there are just some ppl that dont like to be told they are 'doing something wrong'. she just really comes off with the attitude of a very angry and disrespectful person. just the way she treats her children alone is sickening, so i cant imagine she would treat a stranger who has a problem with her much better. i am not looking for any type of confrontation with her.

i dont think she has a job or goes to school. she is home alot - not gone enough to work thats for sure. and even if she was nice to me, i think she would prob not really care. obviously the fact that she is doing it shows she has no respect/concern for others. she isnt renting because her mom owns the house, so i dont think she'll be moving anytime soon and we are actually looking at buying this house from the owner. so i would love to resolve this problem.

i thought about recording the noise though. Yesterday when my walls were shaking i could have easily sat in my living room and recorded it. i will look into code enforcement. thanks for the response

Old 07-02-2012, 12:28 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
If it's a rental, get in touch with the landlord. Keep calling the police if the noise runs late at night. Ask for a report number and keep the paper trail.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
If it's a rental, get in touch with the landlord. Keep calling the police if the noise runs late at night. Ask for a report number and keep the paper trail.
its not a rental, its her moms house. she was living there with her mom, but her mom moved out. she doesnt usually do it late at night. most of the times its only for a few minutes, but there are plenty of times when its longer than a few minutes. i cant call the police every time she drives up and leaves because by the time the police show up the music would be off.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,889 times
Let it be. Do you call the cops if it thunders for hrs. Why not. Just move. If you are the only one that's grumpy or Evan if it is 3 majority say they don't care. I hate people that call some one to deal with issues what if she don't like cop callers and calls her people to do what they do to people who call cops. U want privacy, just move

Old 04-02-2015, 08:46 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
Makes you wonder why the mother moved out.

Btw, if you can get three or more neighbors to call the police at the same time to complain they will be much more thorough.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:53 AM

329 posts, read 627,624 times
No reason to talk to her. I had neighbors like this. If they were reasonable people they wouldn't be doing this in the first place. Keep calling cops and eventually she will get caught. If that doesn't work, talk to senior lead officer in your area. Keep all records. Get a camera and start filming. One neighbor, I sent out a certified letter stating that I'll sue them for $100/day for disrupting peace and make sure you know that you've been gathering evidence. Back when I was a kid I finally had it with this neighbor so I opened my trunk and blasted my 2 12'' subwoofer on MAX next to their garage, they were so annoyed and this stopped them. Sometimes they just need a taste of their own medicine. Do I care if they retaliate? No because I'll fight back and I'm not scared to do it. Another neighbor, cops caught them many times, but they kept at it. Finally after 2 yrs of calling cops, they finally had them evicted. I wasn't expecting that but it worked and this was in LAPD area(WOW). Easiest solution would be to move but why should you? More than likely, you'll run into another ghetto person like this at your new place. This was the case for me.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:38 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,745 times
I sympathize with you OP, I have the exact same thing happening here in Houston. I moved in last month and the neighbors across the street are "THAT FAMILY".....the ones that have no concern/care for others.
They live directly across the street from me, and the male of the family has apparently made his 2 car garage his "man cave". He has a tv hookup on the wall, along with some speakers that light up blue/green/pink etc when music or tv is played. (all this is in his garage along with the garbage cans, lawn equipment and a huge barrel barbeque pit). He usually pulls the pit into the driveway, starts the music and out streams the entire family to listen to the music while he bbq's on Friday nights. How f$%^in' ghetto.

Meanwhile, the next door neighbors, other assorted neighbors across the street, etc are all quiet. "THAT FAMILY" is the only one making noise (i'm assuming others are utilizing their backyards for entertaining).

Because these people are using their garage and driveway for their parties, all their 7,867,265,121,004,654,351 cars are in the street and there is usually one parked in front of my house. (and for those that need to comment on this, yeah, yeah I get the whole "waaaallll....the streets belong to the City", etc) dealio but straight up, I don't want to look at no jacked up piece of ^%$^&*& car when i'm looking out of my window.

OP, i'm getting some curtains to put in my front bay window. I'm also looking into some Energy Saver window inserts online, they're touted to reduce noise. I have to do what I can to control my inside, as I can't control the outside. I hate that i've purchased this home. I feel i've wasted my $$ and have bought into the ghetto section of the block and I regret this purchase. No lie or exaggeration, MY APARTMENT COMPLEX was quieter than here.

I have an HOA. I called them to get a copy of the by-laws.....I didn't even say anything about the noise to them, but as soon as I mentioned the house number she knowingly gave me a "yeah....we know about those people" and I have spoken to neighbors as far down as the other end of the street and they nod their heads in agreement/sorrow when this house number is mentioned.

Keep holding on OP and I hope it gets better for you. Lastnight I was on the real estate website thinking "ahhh I shoulda picked this, I shoulda picked that, etc" but "THAT FAMILY" is probably on those blocks as well. Good luck!!!

Old 04-02-2015, 10:03 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,295 times
Do not approach her. Some people, you do not want to end up being a target for them. Imagine if someone gets pissed off and damages her car. Who do you think she's going to be eyeing for? She's going to think it's you, the person who confronted her. In her mind, she's going to think, who is pissed at me and confronted me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
View detailed profiles of: