Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 05:40 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Proles?
He's referring to liberal hipsters, generally well educated, well tattooed peeps of 25-45, who often are childless (so the fact the schools in most dense downtown areas suck regardless of where you live in the US, they kind of forget that's why most people with kids want to live in burbs with decent schools), live in downtown-Midtown-East Sac, who think the rest of the world should be forced to live like them and drive a Prius (although they've usually got a SUV or two hidden in their East Sac garage). They hate suburbs, but they also hire private security to keep the scum out of their houses in their expensive close-in neighborhooods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 11:22 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
He's referring to liberal hipsters, generally well educated, well tattooed peeps of 25-45, who often are childless (so the fact the schools in most dense downtown areas suck regardless of where you live in the US, they kind of forget that's why most people with kids want to live in burbs with decent schools), live in downtown-Midtown-East Sac, who think the rest of the world should be forced to live like them and drive a Prius (although they've usually got a SUV or two hidden in their East Sac garage). They hate suburbs, but they also hire private security to keep the scum out of their houses in their expensive close-in neighborhooods.
oh that's funny! I was thinking he meant paroles. . I was down in midtown this weekend, and while it was fun for a short time, I was very grateful & happy to get home to my SFH (& yard) in Folsom. I had a truck & SUV when I lived in East Sac...never interested in compact or hybrid vehicle.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:30 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
"Proles" refers to the "proletariat"--the working class. It's a particularly unsubtle jab by one of those folks who think that living downtown is a Communist conspiracy, just as divorced from reality as bluevelo's rant about people who like living downtown--somehow, enjoying living in the central city (or, apparently, wealthy suburban neighborhoods adjacent to the central city) is semantically equal to demanding that the outer suburbs should be vacated at gunpoint. To me, that's a bit of a logic jump.

Okay, it's more of an "Evel Knievel Flies The Rocket Cycle Across Devil's Canyon" size logic jump.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:43 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
That's even funnier! I'm glad there's a neighborhood just right for each of us.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:54 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,565 times
I tend to hold my distaste for other people's lifestyle based on the amount of good or ill they cause society. To make giant stereotypes, I can dislike a turbo hipster's poor taste in fashion as much as the next guy, but biking everywhere, holding a job, practicing safe sex, supporting local businesses, trying to revive inner cities (implicitly, by living there)--that's all okay in my book. Same goes with gay people--you don't have to agree with the lifestyle to see that gays tend to be model citizens. Meanwhile, you can be a white, well-dressed suburbanite, but if you have four kids with three moms and are a year and a half behind on child support, that's less okay.

But I guess if your hobby is ranting about something silly and unprovable (I'm looking at you bluevelo), anyone who you disapprove of superficially is equally responsible for the downfall of society.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:35 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
Actually, those you describe are the New Urbanist Soviet Men. They want the rest of us to be like proles.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:28 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
I tend to hold my distaste for other people's lifestyle based on the amount of good or ill they cause society. To make giant stereotypes, I can dislike a turbo hipster's poor taste in fashion as much as the next guy, but biking everywhere, holding a job, practicing safe sex, supporting local businesses, trying to revive inner cities (implicitly, by living there)--that's all okay in my book. Same goes with gay people--you don't have to agree with the lifestyle to see that gays tend to be model citizens. Meanwhile, you can be a white, well-dressed suburbanite, but if you have four kids with three moms and are a year and a half behind on child support, that's less okay.

But I guess if your hobby is ranting about something silly and unprovable (I'm looking at you bluevelo), anyone who you disapprove of superficially is equally responsible for the downfall of society.
Uh, I live over by the med center, and we have all sorts of wonderful people wandering up from south of 14th Street to rob our homes, in daylight, when we are not there, plus the scum that get the free rides off of Light Fail, get off at 59th or 48th, and wander our neighborhood. Some are homeless, but we are having a real problem with little Section 8 f'ers casing houses with their cell phones in hand and then running like hell when one of the persons on my street is home and comes outside.

We have a serious crime problem in Sacramento, we have a serious problem with gangbangers, and we have a serious problem with welfare people stealing from everyone else. If we would truly get tough about crime and eliminate 95% of welfare Sacramento and California would be a much better place.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,091 times
Default Idiots

So you would rather live in Del paso heights nad south sac than Folsom? You must be retarded or black.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:33 PM

762 posts, read 2,030,980 times
Pretty much. I think the suburban distate is on account of how obnoxious the people seem. When people have kids they automatically become incredibly annoying. Of course hipsters and parents shouldn't co-exist... this is why we should keep our sac proper schools horrific, to properly segregate. Then all of the behind child support folks can live in arden, the (clean and upstanding, agreed!) gays and hip folks can live where the cool kids are(and/or Wburg), the hens have Fair Oaks, the equestrians have Sloughouse,the gangbangers can stay in south sac, and that annoying, toned, fake blond mom with the huge glasses, prada purse and running shorts can live with her family in the burbs and send her kids to the distinguished schools (what on earth does this Mean?) If you are blue collar you can live in Elk Grove or Rancho Cordova or brave the levees in West Sactomas. We all have a place to belong, see?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post

Old 08-17-2012, 06:06 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Wow. Sorry I'm so annoying. I guess I need to go out and buy a Prada purse and designer sunglasses so I can blend in here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento