Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 09:57 PM

3 posts, read 4,931 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are moving to Sacramento in December/January. I'm looking for advice on neighborhoods where we could buy an affordable home, put a little work into it, and sell or rent it out in 5-10 years.

Our budget is around $130,000 - we could certainly afford more but want to be really comfortable with this mortgage in case we move away, purchase another home, and can't sell this one immediately, or decide to keep it as a rental property. Our family is the Midwest and we expect to relocate there eventually, but we're sick of paying rent and would like to invest in property.

Our must-haves:
• Neighborhood with moderate to good resale value - (at least kind of) safe, people take care of their homes. We are 20-something professionals with no immediate plans for children so we're not concerned about schools, other than for resale value
• Urban feel - not suburbia. Unique homes, able to walk to bars/restaurants within a mile, not littered with strip malls. I love East Sac, though I know it's not within our budget, but looking for a similar feel.
• Good sized yard, enough to garden and do some landscaping
• Home that doesn't need MAJOR repairs but has room for improvement - we want to add value by redoing a kitchen/bathroom or other cosmetic changes

If you think a $130,000 budget is totally unrealistic for a non-murder-filled neighborhood, let me know that too. It seems there are TONS of cheap foreclosed houses for sale right now but I want to know what those neighborhoods are really like.

My husband will be working from home and traveling every week throughout the Central Valley for work; I'll be working in either downtown or midtown (my company is looking for new office space right now so I don't have an exact address). I'm not picky about commute length but in case you're wondering.

All I've heard so far is to avoid South Sac, so any advice is welcome. THANK YOU!

(Also - anything we need to know upfront about turning a primary residence into a rental property down the road in CA?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 12:47 AM

409 posts, read 956,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libbyjuju View Post
Hello! My husband and I are moving to Sacramento in December/January. I'm looking for advice on neighborhoods where we could buy an affordable home, put a little work into it, and sell or rent it out in 5-10 years.

Our budget is around $130,000 - we could certainly afford more but want to be really comfortable with this mortgage in case we move away, purchase another home, and can't sell this one immediately, or decide to keep it as a rental property. Our family is the Midwest and we expect to relocate there eventually, but we're sick of paying rent and would like to invest in property.

Our must-haves:
• Neighborhood with moderate to good resale value - (at least kind of) safe, people take care of their homes. We are 20-something professionals with no immediate plans for children so we're not concerned about schools, other than for resale value
• Urban feel - not suburbia. Unique homes, able to walk to bars/restaurants within a mile, not littered with strip malls. I love East Sac, though I know it's not within our budget, but looking for a similar feel.
• Home that doesn't need MAJOR repairs but has room for improvement - we want to add value by redoing a kitchen/bathroom or other cosmetic changes

If you think a $130,000 budget is totally unrealistic for a non-murder-filled neighborhood, let me know that too. It seems there are TONS of cheap foreclosed houses for sale right now but I want to know what those neighborhoods are really like.

My husband will be working from home and traveling every week throughout the Central Valley for work; I'll be working in either downtown or midtown (my company is looking for new office space right now so I don't have an exact address). I'm not picky about commute length but in case you're wondering.

All I've heard so far is to avoid South Sac, so any advice is welcome. THANK YOU!

(Also - anything we need to know upfront about turning a primary residence into a rental property down the road in CA?)
Neighborhoods at this price point wont offer good schools to help with resale value. Crime will be a problem and house search will be block by block as one block or some homes on the block may be maintained while the others aren't or the next block will be in disrepair.

Here's a link for Sac PD crime map:

Online Crime Mapping Disclaimer - Sacramento Police Department

This link contains info on which neighborhoods in Sacramento are experiencing an increase in price and there's a few relatively close to Midtown/Downtown that are within your budget:

Where Sacramento home values are rising quickly, by neighborhood - Sacramento Business Journal

Old 09-09-2012, 01:05 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Most of the cheap foreclosed homes are either in relatively-new neighborhoods that went bust, or in the more murder-filled neighborhoods. $130,000 is very, very skimpy for an older neighborhood that isn't relatively high-crime. If you are looking for an old home to fix up, you'll want to look near the central city, as there aren't very many older homes in the outer suburbs. If you're looking for something comparatively "urban," then your only option is the central city and adjacent neighborhoods.

Your best bet might be some of the properties along X Street, where I have seen a few houses that fit your description, as long as you don't mind a freeway as a next-door neighbor. It's close to the Broadway corridor, which has a whole panoply of restaurants and ethnic markets, just north of Land Park and Curtis Park, and just south of Midtown and Downtown.

Something like this:

Homes - MLS - sacbee.com

The northern end of Oak Park might be worth a look too--between Highway 50 and Broadway.

Homes - MLS - sacbee.com

I assume you're willing to tolerate a certain level of risk in order to invest in a neighborhood that is likely to get better a few years down the road. You're a decade or so too late for a "fixer-upper" in Midtown--aside from some properties that are still rentals owned by landlords who still haven't gotten the hint, the fixer-uppers in the central city are already fixed up. Even half-finished remodels that got foreclosed on are getting hard to find, and priced out of your range.

Lots in this part of town come in basically two sizes--either 3200 square feet (about a thirteenth of an acre) or 6400 square feet (about a seventh of an acre.) Only a handful of homes in the old city or nearby are on larger lots, and they will almost certainly be well out of your price range. But you can do a lot on a 3200 sf lot--front yards are typically very small, maybe 10-20 feet, which leaves enough room for a 20-30 foot yard in back, enough room for a nice vegetable garden.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 4,931 times
Thank you both so much - this was REALLY helpful. If we take out the restriction of "urban feel" and broaden our search to the suburbs, are there any other neighborhoods we should consider? It doesn't even necessarily need to be an older home - even something from the 80s/90s that could use cosmetic updating would work.

On the other hand, what's a low-end realistic budget for some of the more desirable areas near the central city that you've outlined?

Thoughts on West Sac? We've seen a few listings there within our budget too:
2013 Delaware Ct, West Sacramento, CA 95691 MLS# 12031385 - Zillow
433 4th St, West Sacramento, CA 95605 MLS# 21212879 - Zillow

Here's an idea of what we're looking for:
1210 Vinci Ave, Sacramento, CA 95838 MLS# 12017580 - Zillow
501 Harding Ave Sacramento Ca # 95833, Sacramento, CA 95833 MLS# 12040720 - Zillow

THANKS!

Last edited by libbyjuju; 09-09-2012 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: trying to make the links work

Old 09-09-2012, 01:52 PM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
With a $120K for fixer uppers your best bet is going to be fixer uppers in Arden Arcade. Specifically you are going to want to look at neighborhoods like Del Paso Manor, Arcade Village, Mission Marconi, Mira Loma, North Edison as well as Cottage Park, Marconi South, and Marconi North and the parts of Bellview east of Howe Avenue. As you get closer to the Arden Fair Mall, the neighborhoods generally become less desirable. I would avoid being west of Howe Avenue, between Howe Avenue and 80, the neighborhoods are pretty bleak. Similarly west of Watt, you want to stay south of Edison. East of Watt Avenue, Edison is fine.

In Marconi North, the closer you get to the Country Club the better the neighborhood gets, but the neighborhood drops off rapidly as you get closer to Edison.

ArdenArcadeMap.com- Maps of the neighborhoods and parks in Arden Arcade California. Just North East of Sacramento see how many Arden Arcade streets are named after famous inventors.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:10 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
I wouldn't rule out the "urban feel" if that's what you're looking for--just realize that this is California, and you will have to raise your price points accordingly. Sacramento is a relative steal by California standards, and if you're willing to get into the $200,000-$250,000 range there are some very neat houses in some very neat neighborhoods out there. At least, they will be closer to what you're looking for, rather than what you're willing to settle for.

West Sacramento has potential. Your links still aren't working, but the areas close to the river are seeing a lot of recent improvement, and it's physically close to downtown--more in bike radius than walking radius, but still close, especially if they manage to put in a Sacramento/West Sac streetcar again.

Here are a few places in that $150-250 range:

Homes - MLS - sacbee.com

Yale Avenue is a cute little neighborhood in a former alley that was once alongside the city levee. Close to Land Park, Southside Park and downtown.

Homes - MLS - sacbee.com

Southside Park is an up-and-coming neighborhood, traditionally an immigrant neighborhood with a large Asian population, in the past year or two the Chinese restaurants and Japanese bakeries have been accompanied by coffee roasters, a gourmet donut shop, and several art galleries.

Homes - MLS - sacbee.com

Curtis Park is a neighborhood as adorable as a basket of kittens, close to the Broadway Corridor, light rail downtown, and cultural amenities like Beatnik Studios and Sol Collective art spaces, Pangea Two Brews, Coffee Garden, Dad's Kitchen, and the magnificent Hideaway.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:19 PM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
With a $120K for fixer uppers your best bet is going to be fixer uppers in Arden Arcade. Specifically you are going to want to look at neighborhoods like Del Paso Manor, Arcade Village, Mission Marconi, Mira Loma, North Edison as well as Cottage Park, Marconi South, and Marconi North and the parts of Bellview east of Howe Avenue. As you get closer to the Arden Fair Mall, the neighborhoods generally become less desirable. I would avoid being west of Howe Avenue, between Howe Avenue and 80, the neighborhoods are pretty bleak. Similarly west of Watt, you want to stay south of Edison. East of Watt Avenue, Edison is fine.

In Marconi North, the closer you get to the Country Club the better the neighborhood gets, but the neighborhood drops off rapidly as you get closer to Edison.

ArdenArcadeMap.com- Maps of the neighborhoods and parks in Arden Arcade California. Just North East of Sacramento see how many Arden Arcade streets are named after famous inventors.
For examples of what I am talking about here is a home that sold at the end of June for 125K and is now listed at 209K.

2611 Watson St, Sacramento, CA 95821 | MLS# 12014922

2611 Watson St, Sacramento, CA 95821 | MLS# 12055100

Here is another one that sold at the end of June for $139K and is now listed at $220K.

3113 Tamalpais Way, Sacramento, CA 95821 | MLS# 12051127

3113 Tamalpais Way, Sacramento, CA 95821 | MLS# 12017583

If this is what you are trying to do I suspect that fixer uppers in these neighborhoods are what you are looking for and once fixed up you can see how much they are getting for them.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:27 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,650,946 times
Hopefully that price point is enough to keep you out of the range of the cash buyers, but that may still be an issue. A lot of folks are finding it hard to buy houses under, say, $150k with a mortgage because there are too many cash buyers.

Some of the older (mid-century neighborhoods) in West Sac might be a good option. Close-ish to downtown and they'll get around to developing the waterfront, sooner or later.

I would second the suggestion of North Oak Park or UC Davis Med Center area, because there are some lovely houses for really really cheap, but a lot of those opportunities will get snatched up by cash buyers. But it might be worth a shot.

Hollywood and Tahoe Parks might have options too. Tahoe Park, especially, should have a lot to offer.

wburg is right that Curtis Park is a great little neighborhood, but you'd have to look hard for something that really needs fixing up, and even then, it might be a little pricey. On the other hand, average home prices are high, so you're looking at a great ROI if you do find something. The one he linked is probably out of your price range AND it's very close to the combined light rail and heavy rail tracks (we're about a block farther away, and I find the whoosh quite pleasant...). But it's also just over the boundary for the better elementary school, so that would add to the appeal for parents.

Here's a map of the neiborhood names people will be throwing around: Maps and Boundaries

Last edited by ryuns; 09-10-2012 at 12:52 PM..

Old 09-10-2012, 12:40 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,124 times
Quote:
Thank you both so much - this was REALLY helpful. If we take out the restriction of "urban feel" and broaden our search to the suburbs, are there any other neighborhoods we should consider? It doesn't even necessarily need to be an older home - even something from the 80s/90s that could use cosmetic updating would work.
Try Antelope, or Lincoln if you don't mind going "far out". Lots of bank owned homes I suspect they are only too happy to "dump" on you.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:46 PM

762 posts, read 2,029,902 times
Before you can worry about the specifics, you need to talk lending. The first and most important question is, do you have any cash to put down? If you have 130000 cash, you can get something like you want. I assume you do not have the entire amount in your pocket, but if you have a very good chunk of cash you might be able to get close.
Quote:

Our must-haves:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento