Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:11 AM

27 posts, read 81,182 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

I live in Socal area, but am looking to make the move up to Sac for work. I am addicted to the water... literally. I get headaches when I'm not in it daily. I'm looking to find somewhere affordable that I can put the boat on the water and leave it there, in my backyard.

I was looking in west sac, and there are a few houses on the river, but I'm not sure if I can waterski there or not.

Anyone have any advice? Budget is below 600k.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 09:24 AM

210 posts, read 269,326 times
If you can afford a house in the $500k+ range, then you might also consider Folsom Lake area. Granit Bay and El Dorado Hills offer homes by the lake, which has boating, skiing, fishing, etc., but they do not come cheap. Homes along the Sac River are probably a bit more affordable, but I'm not as familiar with that area, so can't speak with any confidence there.

You can check out this link for Granite Bay to get an idea of what price and size home you'd be looking at for that area:

Granite Bay Real Estate & Granite Bay CA Homes for Sale - Zillow

Old 09-13-2012, 09:26 AM

Yeah, I checked out folsom... in fact i took the boat up there for a week this summer just to see if I liked the area.

I currently live a mile from the water here in socal. I drag the boat down on a trailer a few times a week, but trailering gets old. I'm looking to find an area with a dock that I can leave the boat at. The river is what struck me as awesome, but I just don't know that much about the area to make an informed decision on where to start looking.

Thanks

Old 09-13-2012, 11:57 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Folsom Lake does have a marina where you can dock your boat but the waiting list is a couple years long. But there are plenty of homes in your price range within a mile or two of the marina.

I'm not so sure about your budget with waterfront property and a dock for your boat in an area you can ski. Perhaps others can help with that.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:04 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Look into Rio Vista on the river near the Delta. Yes, it's about 50 miles from Sac but housing would be cheaper. There's a marina there that holds 250 boats.

Rio Vista Chamber of Commerce
Delta Marina Yacht Harbor
About the California Delta

Old 09-13-2012, 01:18 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Finding a house on the river can be kind of a challenge. You might rent a slip at the Miller Park marina just south of Broadway and look for a house in nearby Land Park or the Little Pocket, close enough to bike over to the marina and get on the boat.

Sacramento Marina

Old 09-13-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Folsom Lake does have a marina where you can dock your boat but the waiting list is a couple years long. But there are plenty of homes in your price range within a mile or two of the marina.
There is a bit more info here:

http://www.folsomlakemarina.com/marinainfo.html

If it is somewhere that you really wanted to be/live for a few years, then it might be worth the wait and just trailer it in the meantime.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:55 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,307,020 times
Does the house need to be on the river too? Or are you just looking for a house near a marina with available space for you to store your boat at? While you live further nearby? Second this place need to be in the Sacramento region?

If you are interested in Northern California, but don't need to be in Sacramento specifically, I suspect that Discovery Bay is probably what you are looking for.

"Discovery Bay" "California Delta" "Aerial Photos" | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Discovery Bay - About Discovery Bay

If you check the MLS listings and search for dock or slip, you can find listings like this one which happens to be off the Garden Highway

2395 Garden Hwy, Sacramento, CA 95833 | MLS# 12050306

If you are willing to go further from Sacramento, you can find a lot of these types of homes in the Delta, in communities like Isleton, Walnut Grove and Freeport.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:08 PM

Thank you all for the replies.

I'm actually an air traffic controller, the facility is in Sacramento, so I have to be somewhat close.

I don't mind a bit of a commute to be able to live on the water. Trying to the keep the drive less than 40 miles one way.

I would prefer a house like shelato posted. Sadly I have looked at that house, and it's got some major issues...

Old 09-13-2012, 05:24 PM

I'd guess that Folsom lake, something off of Garden Hwy or perhaps West Sac are going to be your best bets. There may be other places that someone here can chime in with, but those three places are def withing 40 minutes of downtown Sacramento.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento