Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:23 PM

8 posts, read 23,206 times

Advertisements

Hello! I've been lurking here for a little while, but I thought I'd post so I can get some answers more specific to my needs. I'm a mom, birth doula and childbirth educator. My husband is currently a retail manager, but he's hoping to eventually get a state government job, even if he has to transfer with his current job for us to get established. We have one little girl, and another baby on the way next year. We currently live outside of Nashville, TN in the suburbs, and plan on moving to Sacramento in the next few months. Obviously the cost of living increase will be pretty massive for us, but hopefully so will my husband's salary. Also, I feel that there will be more opportunities for my own business (which I currently do part-time) since there are more moms in California interested in natural birth than down here, though I know there are already several doulas in the Sac area.

Anyway, we are tired of the suburbs (both of us have ALWAYS lived in the 'burbs). If we can find an area that is affordable and safe, we'd prefer to live in the city. From what I've researched so far, Midtown sounds nice, except I know it's more single people than families. We'd like to be near family-friendly activities, and not too close to bars, but we do love farmer's markets, restaurants, coffee shops, theatre, entertainment, etc. Some people have suggested East Sac or McKinley? I'm not sure what is in our price range. I've spent a fair amount of time on Craigslist and other sites (we are looking to RENT for now as we won't be ready to buy again for maybe a year or two), and it is hard to tell what areas would work for us. It seems every neighborhood we search has some really cheap rentals (which look run down and are probably not in safe areas), some mid-range that seem nice, and some really pricey stuff.

Ideally, we would like 3 bedroom, 2 bath, but I know that can be expensive, so if we had to we'd be OK with a 2 bed/1 bath as long as it's close to 1,000 sq feet. We'd prefer to keep it around the $1,000 - $1,300 K range at most, and I know that's pushing it. I really really love the photos and layouts of the Victorian homes I've seen online, and some of the 30s/40s bungalows look cute too. Of course the high rises are beautiful and modern, but the space is tiny for what you pay, and we like character in a home (plus they aren't as family friendly). We don't *have* to have a yard as long as we have a porch and aren't too far from a park, but it would be nice to have a small one. We'd LOVE to be able to walk, ride a bike, or take a bus to most things instead of having to drive, but we don't mind driving when we *need* to. Since we will be selling my husband's car, and keeping just the one (mine), he will most likely have to drive it to work, so it would be wonderful if I could still easily leave the house by just pushing the kids in a stroller to a park, grocery store, etc.

Anyway, I know this is a lot to ask in our price range, but can you suggest areas of town to avoid, or that would be more suitable for us? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 08:01 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
This is from 2 years ago but might give you some more ideas of where to look and what to expect: Great Neighborhoods - Sacramento Magazine - September 2010 - Sacramento, California

Old 10-04-2012, 09:38 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
I like this website to check rentals in your targeted neighborhoods. houses for rent sacramento ca california rental house

Old 10-05-2012, 01:07 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
The central city has a lot of singles, but kids certainly aren't unknown--if anything, I have noticed an uptick in young children in the neighborhood. If you're looking for the quieter end of the central city, look at neighborhoods like Southside Park, Richmond Grove or Newton Booth (generally south of S Street.) Farther from the bars and nightlife areas but still close to things like Southside Park and other neighborhood parks, farmer's markets, theaters, and local amenities like grocery stores and public transit. There are also kid-friendly activities to be had in a relatively short radius. The other option is the northeastern corner of the central city--Boulevard Park and Marshall School--as long as you're a couple blocks north of J Street. There aren't any highrises in those neighborhoods, just a mix of apartments (mostly older) and single-family homes on compact lots with tree-lined streets.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:53 AM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
East Sac it's pretty tough to find rentals, probably double your budget for a 3bd SFH. $1000-1300 is pretty solidly in the middle of the 2bd apartment rents in Midtown-East Sac. There aren't a whole lot of apartments in East Sac, however. Rents drop off around River Park, the area north of Sac State. If you want urban, you're basically looking in the right area. Depending for your tolerance for somewhat crappy, smaller, older apartments, it may not be feasible at the price, however. You're dollar will go farther elsewhere. While definitely "suburban" Natomas and Pocket/Greenhaven get you a lot more housing for the $. With Natomas, is mixed, parts are quite nice and parts are pretty sketchy, although if you're willing to look at Midtown that isn't really any different. Midtown has more to do but costs more. Price and my girlfriends lack of tolerance for old, shabby apartments drove me out to Natomas. It's not bad, 10 minute bike ride from downtown, but very little in walking distance.

Sac rentals is good... but they're kind of a premium rental management company. You won't find many dingy places that are a bit run down, and a such they usually rent for more $ than what you can find on craigslist or just walking around.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:22 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
It becomes a matter of balance--trade a lot more "housing (square footage)" for a lot less "urban." Although in some parts of the central city you can rent a duplex or a house for that budget, which would give you some yard. And a lot of the older apartments are getting fixed up as landlords realize they can charge higher rents if the apartments are in decent shape--and that $1000-1300 price range is definitely higher than the shabby-apartment price range. Here's a link to a rental agency that specializes in fixing up older buildings that are heavy on charm for rent: Untitled Document

And there are also newer apartments in the central city too, not out of line with your price range.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:12 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,150 times
You didn't say how old your oldest was, so I'm not sure how much you'll be thinking about schools. If you are, you can use a real estate site, Redfin to see the school rankings on Greatschools in the neighborhoods (Real Estate Search | Redfin), and match that up with attendance areas from here: Attendance Areas - Sacramento City Unified School District

That might lead you to Land Park and East Sac, which, as mentioned, are pricey and generally more owner occupied. With rentals, you'll have more variety in Midtown, but for that, you might really want to visit and spend some time first. There are some relatively quiet spots in Midtown and some decidedly not quiet spots in Midtown. If you have any specific questions for places you're looking at, post the address or general area, and I'm sure someone here will help you out.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,851 times
I know a great real estate team that could probably help you find something!! They're based out of Roseville (about 45 minutes from Sacramento) but they do work in that area. If you would like any info on them just let me know! They really are awesome people!

Old 10-05-2012, 05:17 PM

8 posts, read 23,206 times
Thanks so much, everyone! Your replies have been really helpful. I'm glad to know that there truly are some decent places and areas in our price range, and that it wasn't just me finding things online that *look* decent within that price. I really don't mind 2 bedroom, so long as we still have good square footage, but it's always nice to have a room for office space too. I guess we are pretty spoiled by the low housing costs here in Tennessee - we only pay $800/mo on our mortgage for a 3b/2ba, 1,100 sq ft home on 1/4th an acre in a decent neighborhood, and within about 6 miles of everything in the city. We are going to lose a lot of money when we sell, though. We are moving to be near family, though, so that means sacrifice. We hate living in the South anyway (we are very liberal and not church-goers, so we don't fit in well).

As far as schools go, I'm not overly concerned about that right now. Our daughter will be almost 4 when we move, but I plan on homeschooling her for awhile. Even if we ended up wanting to send her to an official preschool, I'm pretty sure it would be a private one like Montessori or Waldorf (and we really can't afford that right now). Aren't the public preschools for low income or children who are in bad situations? I don't know much about California Education, but here in Tennessee, most counties and cities offer pre-K or head start only to low income families, or families with single parents, foster kids, and so on. We might qualify for low-income anyway, but I don't know - we're certainly not wealthy. LOL. I'm more concerned about where we might end up *buying* a home in a year or two, because I'd want her to be able to go to a really good school as she gets older.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:05 AM

66 posts, read 119,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyDoula View Post
Hello! I've been lurking here for a little while, but I thought I'd post so I can get some answers more specific to my needs. I'm a mom, birth doula and childbirth educator. My husband is currently a retail manager, but he's hoping to eventually get a state government job, even if he has to transfer with his current job for us to get established. We have one little girl, and another baby on the way next year. We currently live outside of Nashville, TN in the suburbs, and plan on moving to Sacramento in the next few months. Obviously the cost of living increase will be pretty massive for us, but hopefully so will my husband's salary. Also, I feel that there will be more opportunities for my own business (which I currently do part-time) since there are more moms in California interested in natural birth than down here, though I know there are already several doulas in the Sac area.

Anyway, we are tired of the suburbs (both of us have ALWAYS lived in the 'burbs). If we can find an area that is affordable and safe, we'd prefer to live in the city. From what I've researched so far, Midtown sounds nice, except I know it's more single people than families. We'd like to be near family-friendly activities, and not too close to bars, but we do love farmer's markets, restaurants, coffee shops, theatre, entertainment, etc. Some people have suggested East Sac or McKinley? I'm not sure what is in our price range. I've spent a fair amount of time on Craigslist and other sites (we are looking to RENT for now as we won't be ready to buy again for maybe a year or two), and it is hard to tell what areas would work for us. It seems every neighborhood we search has some really cheap rentals (which look run down and are probably not in safe areas), some mid-range that seem nice, and some really pricey stuff.

Ideally, we would like 3 bedroom, 2 bath, but I know that can be expensive, so if we had to we'd be OK with a 2 bed/1 bath as long as it's close to 1,000 sq feet. We'd prefer to keep it around the $1,000 - $1,300 K range at most, and I know that's pushing it. I really really love the photos and layouts of the Victorian homes I've seen online, and some of the 30s/40s bungalows look cute too. Of course the high rises are beautiful and modern, but the space is tiny for what you pay, and we like character in a home (plus they aren't as family friendly). We don't *have* to have a yard as long as we have a porch and aren't too far from a park, but it would be nice to have a small one. We'd LOVE to be able to walk, ride a bike, or take a bus to most things instead of having to drive, but we don't mind driving when we *need* to. Since we will be selling my husband's car, and keeping just the one (mine), he will most likely have to drive it to work, so it would be wonderful if I could still easily leave the house by just pushing the kids in a stroller to a park, grocery store, etc.

Anyway, I know this is a lot to ask in our price range, but can you suggest areas of town to avoid, or that would be more suitable for us? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
I'm not sure moving here in "hopes" of landing a state job would be worth it. The way I understand it is that it could take up to 1+ year for the hiring process (that's what a number of friends have told me). An even better question for you to consider is what would he do without a job as the job market here is abysmal. I would recommend planning for the worst and hope for the best. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento