Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 03:19 PM

152 posts, read 249,094 times

Advertisements

Having lived here a few months I notice there seems quite alot of 'thugish' type people in the sac area. Lots of backwards/side-facing hats, trousers hanging off one's ass, women with tattoos scrawled across their chests or bodies in general, etc

The point of this post is - the things I mention above, don't seem to match the area physically - the sacramento area has great weather, proximity to tahoe, state parks, rivers etc - the area's physical attributes /qualities don't seem congruent with (a large portion of the)culture.

As someone from elsewhere this stood out to me, can anyone offer any insight? I mean no rudeness and hope I've not overgeneralized, sometimes It's hard to word a post correctly so that you say what you mean.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 03:42 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,234,734 times

Skrape - YouTube

Old 11-15-2012, 03:45 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,007,047 times
It's the same in many parts of the Bay Area as well. Good luck finding out the cause. There's definitely much more of a low-class pervasive ghetto sort of culture that has become popular in CA today. Personally, I can't stand it.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:22 PM

457 posts, read 1,177,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapour_trail View Post
Having lived here a few months I notice there seems quite alot of 'thugish' type people in the sac area. Lots of backwards/side-facing hats, trousers hanging off one's ass, women with tattoos scrawled across their chests or bodies in general, etc

The point of this post is - the things I mention above, don't seem to match the area physically - the sacramento area has great weather, proximity to tahoe, state parks, rivers etc - the area's physical attributes /qualities don't seem congruent with (a large portion of the)culture.

As someone from elsewhere this stood out to me, can anyone offer any insight? I mean no rudeness and hope I've not overgeneralized, sometimes It's hard to word a post correctly so that you say what you mean.
Thanks
I thought they called this "Progress"? Isn't this what everyone is raving about? I guess I'm confused...

On a more serious note. The popular culture is "ghetto / trash / gangster" style clothing and overall appearance / behavior. It's a shame but again I believe in self respect and acting responsibly and decency in public...I am on the wrong side according to most people.

There is a large underclass here which is what you're most likely seeing. Otherwise, it's a great area to live for the reasons you mentioned.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:59 PM

193 posts, read 456,455 times
Easy there, pretty soon the legislature will add these types to a "protected" group... pants on the ground and tattoos will be a disability worthy of a monthly check, you know how we roll in this state.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:40 PM

505 posts, read 1,658,062 times
It should be pointed out that Sacramento is a vast, vast area of land, so you should be a lot more specific about which area you are in. Like any city, there are good areas and there are bad. Older areas are lower in price and attract lower income families, newer areas - higher income families. It's like that no matter where you go - San Jose/Bay Area, San Francisco, Los Angeles, etc.

Neighborhoods close to the 99 are very different than those close to the 5 just to give you an idea, but this is quite normal no matter where you go. If you want to see a better, cleaner, less-thuggish area, check out the newer developments further up close to the airport. You'll see golf club neighborhoods, private schools and even a Whole Foods.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:34 PM

152 posts, read 249,094 times
thanks for the thoughts guys, i'm actually from the south (coastal alabama), when i first moved here, for the first 6 months i lived in healdsburg (northern sonoma county) then i came to the sac area to try it out.

i liked healdsburg, its proximity to the mendocino coast and state parks, and the fact that it wasnt far to petaluma or further, san francisco if i wanted

i like the sacramento area for its access to tahoe, it's state parks too, and the resources that a larger city has-- one of these of course being women

it wont be long now before my lease is up here in sac, and i need to make a decision as to where i wanna live - remain in the area, or back to north sonoma or thereabout

Old 11-15-2012, 07:10 PM

2,441 posts, read 3,415,173 times
Before relocating in 2003, I was part of a now defunct photo sharing website who's name was later changed from 'Sacramento Rowdytown'. I wasnt sure why it was called that since upon arriving, the city didnt appear rowdy or even party-ish to me. But over time, some people shared with me various reasons why Sactown seemed particulary rowdy or "ghetto" for it's pupulation size. I dont have encyclopedic references, but maybe Wburg or someone else can clarify the authenticity?

1. Several Jails release nearby and the ex-cons gravitate to the free homeless services.

2. Criminal hoodrats absconding from L.A. and Oakland scattered to the Capitol seeking less law enforcement and settled in to the disdain of native hoodrats.

3. Many of the hoodrat persuasion now comprise a significant portion of the young
slothy homeless population.

4. Depletion of law enforcement staffs encourage loitering and petty ciminal antics.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:35 PM

8,679 posts, read 17,189,509 times
Don't you mean "Suckramento.com"?

I see plenty of shady characters in other cities and don't really notice a preponderance of them here. We're a big city, so you see more of that sort of thing than in a more rural place like Sonoma County. I'm not sure why Sacramento's proximity to Tahoe, parks, rivers or weather would have anything to do, good or bad, with the number of tattooed or baggy-clothed people here. We are historically a working-class and culturally diverse city, make of that what you will.

I suppose a lot of it depends on what part of the Sacramento region you're in--the experience of someone in Granite Bay will differ greatly from someone in Meadowview, Midtown, Elk Grove or El Dorado Hills.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:46 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,782,627 times
hmmm.... I rarely see that up here in Folsom or EDH. It's only when I venture down into Sacramento (Citrus Heights, Carmichael, midtown, Arden, etc), Elk Grove, Natomas & of course, south Sac areas that it becomes more commonplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento