Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 04:46 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times

Advertisements

No, that's why she put it in quotes...the "slums" of Folsom is the part where the Audi owners buy the A4 or A6 because they can't afford the A8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 02:55 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terranova View Post
Are there really slums in Folsom? Near what major intersection?
Not in the traditional sense. But yes, there is at least one neighborhood that is older, historically has a higher crime rate, and the locale of a murder some years ago. I've driven through this area several times, and it does have a tired look and the apartments/condos are very run down. Thankfully, new families are moving in and fixing up the area.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:56 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
No, that's why she put it in quotes...the "slums" of Folsom is the part where the Audi owners buy the A4 or A6 because they can't afford the A8.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:39 PM

337 posts, read 896,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longcatisdelicious View Post
My BF and I area moving to the sacramento area in late march. So far, when it comes to looking for places, we've barely scratched the surface. Neither one of us have ever been to Davis or Sac (we reside in San Fran right now), but all we want is a safe neighborhood at low a low cost.

Our wish list:
-Ideally, we'd like to spend no more than $950 for a 1BR
-Live in an apartment complex in Davis or Sac.
-We'd like to avoid living too close to college students.
-It's important that the apartment be close to I-80.

Also, it would be desirable (though not necessary) that the apartment complex have a small finess facility.
I've found this davis wiki (Apartments - Davis Wiki) that lists a bunch of apartment complexes, but I know nothing about these areas. Has anyone had experience with any of these places? Are they safe? Are there a bunch of college students in these places? Basically, can you guys help me narrow down the neighborhoods or apartment complexes that could fit our needs?

Thank you so much!
Then rule out Davis lol. The city is essentially built around the university and college students. Most apartment complexes in Davis are student oriented. The whole city is small so there's not much difference from North, South, East, and West Davis. From north to downtown (south Davis) is probably a 2.5 mile bike ride in 12 minutes or so. The whole city is safe. Most crime is going to occur around the campus late at night. $950 a month is reasonable, I'm in a 3 bedroom 1.5 bath for $1400 a month.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:47 PM

61 posts, read 218,960 times
It sounds like North Natomas would work really well for you, but even as inexpensive as it is, it's difficult to find a "nice" 1 bd for $900 though that is certantly the range. But there are some out there. I know nothing about this particular building, but it's just within your range and a nice, quite are with a more suburban feel.
Woodmont Real Estate Services
as is this one
Riverview Ranch Apartments - Riverview Ranch Apartments - Sacramento, CA
and this one
http://www.miramonteandtrovas.com/Ap...plans/property[id]/26408/#floorplan

The little pocket southeast of I-5 and I-80 is nice, as are the newer areas north of I-80 in the vicinity of I-5. They don't have a lot of charm, but they tend to be quite, new, have good sidewalks for "strolling", and are easy access to downtown and I-80 (by bike if you choose). Because there is not a lot going on as far as fun food and things to do, this area does not attract many students and tends to be more young professionals and small families.

Last edited by Lillp; 01-23-2013 at 09:58 PM..

Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 AM

314 posts, read 487,193 times
East Davis does feel kind of different from the rest of town, much more suburban than the rest of Davis. However, most of the people who live there are families in houses. West Davis has some families too.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,313 times
Try the Arbors apts in Davis. While in an odd area(near train), it's minutes from the freeway and downtown Davis. I live there and I work in Sacramento. It's about a 20 minute commute-25 min commute. It does have students, but it's so peaceful and quiet here.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:40 PM

8 posts, read 12,737 times
Midtown is great -- I think you would like it there. It's really not very loud or rowdy, nothing even comparable to San Francisco. My boyfriend and I are mid/late twenties and we absolutley love living here - you get pretty, tree lined streets, interesting victorian houses with lots of character, walking/biking distance to countless restaurants, bars, businesses, events, plenty of parks and easy access to the river and bike trail. There is some crime, I mean it's not the suburbs, but it is really not that bad at all. I don't walk around alone at night or leave any windows/doors unlocked, but I never really feel unsafe either. I would say your best bet is to look at a map and stay within the bounds of Q street, 15th street, C street and Alhambra. J, K and L streets are the busiest / noisiest. In my opinion, the North East section of the grid is the nicest and quietest residential area.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:46 PM

8 posts, read 12,737 times
Oh, and $950 is more than doable in midtown. I used to live in a nice a 1200 sq. foot 1 bedroom fourplex for $850/mo. $750 is going to be tougher, but it's possible. Just might not be the nicest looking apartment around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento