U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 09:27 AM

1,505 posts, read 3,604,151 times

Advertisements

I'm a 24 y/o single female, no kids. I currently live in Miami (native), but have been wanting to move out west for some time now. I had originally planned on Phoenix because of affordability, but after visiting last month the idea is kind of dying down a bit. I want to be able to be a couple of hours at most from the coast, and Phoenix seems so far (5 + hours to San Diego is not do-able for day trips). I lived in Atlanta for 4 years and being so far from the ocean was one of the major reasons why I hated living there.. I dont want to have that happen again.

Never been to Sacramento (have been to Southern California), but it seems like a good fit so far from what I've read, sunny weather, fairly close to the coast, not much rain, and decent sized population.

I need some advice. Which city would be better for me? Has anyone lived in both? Or has anyone from Florida relocated to Sacramento or close by? And in terms of safety, which of the 2 would be safer? I'm not a partier, and rarely stay out past midnight. Both cities seem to be in my price range (600 - 750 a month - studio is fine) as far as rental prices, but what are the some of the areas I should avoid? Would I have to raise my budget a little higher to be in a better area? I have no debts, my car is paid off, and again, have no kids, so schools are not an issue for me. I only have 2 small dogs, so I need a place thats pet friendly.

Any input about Sacramento in general, positive and negative is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 12:17 PM

495 posts, read 1,273,382 times
Sacramento is beyond sunny, it gets very HOT here in the summer months! Sometimes the weather Gods give us a break, but just keep this in mind. But wait a minute, you're from Miami, so you it will probably be a piece of cake for you. It's dry heat in Sac vs humid heat in the southeast east so it's a little easier to deal with. Since being close to the ocean is important to you, can I ask why you have your sights set on Sac? We are 2 hours away from the ocean, not too bad, but not close either. We're centrally located in California, but have access to the mountains, the ocean and any other place you want to visit which is a plus. But San Diego, Santa Cruz and similar cities might be a good fit for you too. Just curious why you're looking at Sacramento. Good luck with your move whereever you decide to land.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:35 PM

3,177 posts, read 10,195,352 times
Sacramento is nothing like Southern California - two totally different places - actually we could be two different states! North Calif and Southern California people don't "mingle"

And the ocean is 2 h ours away - but in the 10 years I lived in Sac - I never went but once to Half Moon Bay and that was for a Romantic weekend

If you'd like to be closer to the beaches - you should look into the beach cities the above poster mentioned

PS - most people who like water, just do their water sports on the RIvers or Lakes in Sac area

Old 10-23-2007, 12:48 PM

433 posts, read 1,654,314 times
I think you may like Sacramento. It sounds like a good fit for you.

Realize that the ocean here is not warm water though. It's not like Bay Watch. You will see more seals than people in the waters and on the beaches. If you like crashing surf, rocky cliffs, breathtaking scenery and small fishing villages (Bodega Bay etc.) then you will love the northern California coast. Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay and Monterey look a little like southern California though. More beach life, piers and surfers etc.

Just as great as the coast is our majestic Sierra Nevada mountains/forests/Mother Lode foothills on our doorstep. Wonderful and scenic.

Most transplants from the Midwest and East Coast tend to like it here. Sacramento is more like a really BIG small town though. We might not have all the cosmopolitan advantages and sophistication of the big eastern cities, but this place is quite comfortable with relatively low stress levels. It has always reminded me of living in a giant suburb.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:57 PM

230 posts, read 388,440 times
I just moved here to Arizona from Sac 1.5 years ago. Don't come here. You'll regret it. Sac is the best place for you if you're single. Yes the cost of living is high but you can drive 2 hours to Lake Tahoe to cool off. In the winter, you can go to Lake Tahoe for the best skiing ever. Then, you can head down to San Fran Bay. Yes, it's hot in the summer, put ever apartment complex has a nice pool. There are more singles in Sac too. If you move to Arizona, you'll be sorry. Most people who come here are married folks with children. The night life is not great either and not too many singles unless you go to college. I have a friend who is single. She always feels like a third wheel. The only thing good about Arizona is the cost of living is less, but I promise you that cannot replace the greatness of Sac. Cali has its problems, but a human being needs grass and trees. If not having a beautiful landscape daily is not important to you, then come. I need greeness.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:03 PM

redwoodlvr - I'm just now starting look into Sacramento because of its a place that I can actually afford in California. San Diego would be nice (dont know anything about Santa Cruz), but I cannot afford rent there at the moment. Sacramento seems like a decent place for the time being. And I like its proximity to so many places (Mtns, Lake Tahoe, SF Bay, etc).

CityGirl - I live 20 minutes from the beach now and I rarely go but I like to know that its there. Sounds stupid, but thats just me. I like to be driving distance from it so that I can get my ocean fix.

Kingsnkali - A big suburb sounds fine. I dont like living in a big crazy city all the time. I'm fairly quiet, and while I do like to go out once in a while, I tend to stay in more (meaning bars, clubs, etc).

annibelle - I agree with you about the desert landscaping. Its definitely something that would take time for me to get used to.

Thanks for the advice guys

What are some cities/towns I shoud consider looking in to? I've heard of Carmichael and Citrus Heights, and know someone who lives in Elk Grove.. are these areas ok?

Old 10-23-2007, 02:04 PM

3,177 posts, read 10,195,352 times
ALl those areas are okay

But if you are young and kidless I would suggest renting in Midtown

midtowngrid.com, Directory for Sacramento, Midtown, Downtown Sacramento, East Sacramento and Old Saccramento Business Directory for shopping, restaurants, hotels, Sacramento's 2nd Saturday Art Walk, Entertainment and more!

Old 10-23-2007, 05:25 PM

163 posts, read 548,339 times
Yup, young and single then Midtown is for you. No need to look any further

Try a craigslist search for "midtown" and you'll find plenty for rent.

Btw - Midtown is older victorians and apartments, cafes, bars, restaurants, huge tree canopies lining the streets. Very nice area, lots going on.

I was gonna say that Sacramento is pretty boring and really is just a BIG small town ( and things aren't changing very quickly...or any time soon) but since that's ok with you then it might be just right. We do have plenty of comfy bars to hang out in and some clubs if you need to go out so don't worry.
However, I tried going out with some friends last thursday and the venue we thought was happening was not and so we went searching for more and I was kinda disappointed in the lack of anything going on. I mean I know it was thursday and all but still....was really quiet. Anyway..

Still the best thing Sacramento has going for it is it's location. Like you've already heard we are fairly central to most of what is really great in California. Mountains and Tahoe one way, San Francisco and ocean the other....

Here's a couple links to give ya a feel of Sacramento...

Sacramento – Rolling Down The Boulevard - SkyscraperPage Forum

Your Town, My Town, Our Town, Sactown… Sacramento Calif. - SkyscraperPage Forum

Sacramento Welcomes You – part one - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 10-23-2007, 07:55 PM

Tim - Those pictures are great!! Thanks so much for those links! And yes, the location of Sacramento seems perfect. Close to pretty much everything California has to offer I'd definitely love to go to Lake Tahoe. Is the water as clear as the pictures I've seen of it are? I've never seen a lake with such clarity.

I will be looking more into midtown.

How safe are the areas that I mentioned and midtown? For a young single female? Are these areas pet friendly?

Thanks again everyone, truly appreciate all the input.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:52 AM

163 posts, read 548,339 times
Your welcome. Yep Tahoe really is super clear.

The areas you mentioned were fine, mostly very suburban.

Basically (as a general rule of thumb) look at google maps of Sacamento and just about anything in between the freeways 50 and I-80 (S of 80 & N of 50) all the way to Folsom Lake are nice and safe areas of town. So anything in there is easy to tell. There are other areas that are ok also of course but it just depends on the specifics.

But I'd stay with Midtown if you don't want to be bored to death with old folks and soccer moms

Midtown - mostly all ok and generally safe as far as I know. Get out your google maps again and find the corner of 15th & J, now go South/East until you hit the freeways. That is the nicest area of Midtown and where I would concentrate. Once you go past either freeway you're not in Midtown anymore. If you go further West you're more Downtown really. Avoid the blocks North of J & 15th if you can. However, the blocks that are North of J yet to the East of those railroad tracks are mostly nice I think. Mostly all residential though (instead of cafes, etc.).

Hope that helped and did not confuse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento