Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 06:05 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,103,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremit View Post
It is sad, but why do people think it is ok to allow their cat to be outside and wonder onto other peoples property? People wouldn't let dogs or any other animals, so why are cats ok? I know growing up my parents were guilty of the same thing, but this kind of thing could have easily been prevented by the owner.
that makes absolutely no difference, they are 2 separate issues. I don't care if the cat was living in the neighbors tree or playing in the front yard plants, this is none other than animal crueltry. As for when your parents allowed their cat to run the neighborhood, that was the way things were 20, 30 or more years ago. No one kept their cats inside, even, when I was growing up people let their dogs run the neighborhood as well. Most of us, have learned since then.

Let me add, it happened to our kitty many years ago, when we lived in Sacramento. We came home from a swim meet and there kitty was, barely breathing. Whether he was shot while walking on our fence or in someone else yard, we don't know, but long story, he did survive...Thank God, but he had a rough few weeks. Last fall our daughters beautiful and lovable rescued Dobbie, barely a year old was shot with a pellet gun, it hit his heart and he died instantly..BTW, He was in his yard, he was in the dog run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 06:07 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,103,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
When I was a kid and it was still a free country, dogs barked, cats prowled at night, and we lived with it. If people didn't want cats in their yard, they got a dog to chase them away.
Absolutely,and it rarely bothered us or if it did, we were able to tolerate it. We didn't live in a world that was all about me...

Old 03-27-2013, 11:11 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,637,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Absolutely,and it rarely bothered us or if it did, we were able to tolerate it. We didn't live in a world that was all about me...
Regarding barking dogs, that's a little ironic. To me, the height of narcissism is people who let their dogs bark without regard to the fact that it may be bothering their neighbors. Cats, however, I completely agree.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:26 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,998,894 times
It was probably this kid:

Old 03-29-2013, 09:17 PM

391 posts, read 837,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
What part of the story indicated that it was on someone else's property? Not that would excuse anything anyway, but the story specifically says "they found Annie on the front porch."

My cat roams a little but doesn't spend much time in other yards. I let him out because he's always spent a little time outside, he seems to leave the birds alone (if he was a birder, I wouldn't allow him much freedom), and all the neighbors know and love him. Even the kids in the neighborhood are allowed to pet/accost him because he's so mellow. If some brat with a pellet gun shot him, I'd have a pretty difficult time with that. And I'd certainly stay away from the internet--the place where empathy goes to die.
Most cats do go into other peoples property to defecate or kill some animal in their yard. If the cat stayed in the backyard, I highly doubt this would have happened. Keep your cat inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that makes absolutely no difference, they are 2 separate issues. I don't care if the cat was living in the neighbors tree or playing in the front yard plants, this is none other than animal cruelty. As for when your parents allowed their cat to run the neighborhood, that was the way things were 20, 30 or more years ago. No one kept their cats inside, even, when I was growing up people let their dogs run the neighborhood as well. Most of us, have learned since then.
This isn't 20 or 30 years ago. It's 2013, not 1983. There are so many houses now, even places like Antelope were eating up farm fields with housing communities. If you think this is bad you wouldn't want to hear what farmers do with cats. The point is if you and these folks were more responsible this kitty would be ok.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:35 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,637,544 times
Quote:
Most cats do go into other peoples property to defecate or kill some animal in their yard. If the cat stayed in the backyard, I highly doubt this would have happened. Keep your cat inside.
You sound like you'd be a blast at parties, kremit.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:38 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,136,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
When I was a kid and it was still a free country, dogs barked, cats prowled at night, and we lived with it. If people didn't want cats in their yard, they got a dog to chase them away.
I think what he was trying to say is that if a dog roamed around like that, it would be likely that Animal Control would come to pick it up. Dog owners are required to control their dogs and pick up their dog's feces or be fined. Roaming cats defecate in people's gardens, kill birds (they often don't bring those birds home, so don't assume your kitty isn't a killer - that recent study about cats with little cameras attached to them showed that MOST of them kill birds, but very few bring them back to their owners), and the owners have no responsibility at all. I have an elderly senior dog and her cat-chasing days are long over, so I routinely find cat poop in my garden, often infested with writhing fly maggots. I'm an entomologist and it even grosses ME out. Not to mention the diseases and accidents that outdoor cats are exposed to. I lost my last cat to rat poison that a neighbor had set out in meat to kill rats. I wouldn't let a cat outdoors anymore.

Even a "free country" has laws.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:10 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,263,167 times
Quote:

This isn't 20 or 30 years ago. It's 2013, not 1983. There are so many houses now, even places like Antelope were eating up farm fields with housing communities. If you think this is bad you wouldn't want to hear what farmers do with cats. The point is if you and these folks were more responsible this kitty would be ok.
So, by your reasoning it would be OK to shoot the neighbor's kids because they keep playing basketball in my driveway and jumping in the back of my truck?

Seriously, I have about six different cats that use the back fence as a "kitty highway." On occasion one will lay on the back lawn. They don't bother anybody, or anything. Neighborhood kids cause more damage than animals.

And the same mentality that injures animals is the same mentality that commits violent crimes against people.

PAWS - Animal Abuse/Human violence connection

http://www.incasa.org/PDF/2011/anima...n_violence.pdf

And it doesn't matter what year it is. Animal abuse is never acceptable behavior.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:43 AM

391 posts, read 837,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
So, by your reasoning it would be OK to shoot the neighbor's kids because they keep playing basketball in my driveway and jumping in the back of my truck?
What are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I think what he was trying to say is that if a dog roamed around like that, it would be likely that Animal Control would come to pick it up. Dog owners are required to control their dogs and pick up their dog's feces or be fined. Roaming cats defecate in people's gardens, kill birds (they often don't bring those birds home, so don't assume your kitty isn't a killer - that recent study about cats with little cameras attached to them showed that MOST of them kill birds, but very few bring them back to their owners), and the owners have no responsibility at all. I have an elderly senior dog and her cat-chasing days are long over, so I routinely find cat poop in my garden, often infested with writhing fly maggots. I'm an entomologist and it even grosses ME out. Not to mention the diseases and accidents that outdoor cats are exposed to. I lost my last cat to rat poison that a neighbor had set out in meat to kill rats. I wouldn't let a cat outdoors anymore.

Even a "free country" has laws.
Finally someone gets the idea of responsibility. Letting ones cat roam around the neighborhood is not responsible.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:08 AM

767 posts, read 1,735,624 times
im getting the impression there are a lot of okified and otw countrified people in sacramento who are comfortable with the idea and the occurrence of cruelty to animals

its a reminder to me that once you leave the sfba, youre instantly in the flyover country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento