U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 11:08 PM
pba

410 posts, read 800,487 times

Advertisements

Nice to hear that you found someplace where racism in nonexistent. Talk about living in a bubble. No crime in your area either? No unemployment? Erradicated poverty also I'll bet. Nice.

My point is (CaliPrincess will hate that I'm aligning myself partially with her but that's ok) that why can't people say, 'I'm an American.' Then if someone asks specifically about race why can't you say 'Black'? If you were born in the USA then you are AMERICAN!

I didn't say there aren't racial problems so don't suggest that I don't realize there is a problem. My point is that equality is what everyone is striving for but every chance some people get they describe themselves as being different. Example - we are all Americans but the person who started this post describes themselves as African American. People born in Africa are African and people born in the USA are American.....it's as simple as that.

Go ahead and call me a racist for saying that as I'm sure you're already thinking it (and you're also ASSUMING I'm white so doesn't that mean you're being prejudiced against me?). Prejudiced = pre-judging which is exactly what you're doing. I'm preaching EQUALITY not racism...you just have to be sensible enough to understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 10:37 AM

65 posts, read 146,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pba View Post
My point is (CaliPrincess will hate that I'm aligning myself partially with her but that's ok) that why can't people say, 'I'm an American.' Then if someone asks specifically about race why can't you say 'Black'? If you were born in the USA then you are AMERICAN!

I didn't say there aren't racial problems so don't suggest that I don't realize there is a problem. My point is that equality is what everyone is striving for but every chance some people get they describe themselves as being different. Example - we are all Americans but the person who started this post describes themselves as African American. People born in Africa are African and people born in the USA are American.....it's as simple as that.

Go ahead and call me a racist for saying that as I'm sure you're already thinking it (and you're also ASSUMING I'm white so doesn't that mean you're being prejudiced against me?). Prejudiced = pre-judging which is exactly what you're doing. I'm preaching EQUALITY not racism...you just have to be sensible enough to understand that.
Why would I hate the fact that you are agreeing with my statement? I am not mad at all since I wholeheartedly see eye to eye with what you are saying (about the African-American/Black American/American part...that's how I was brought up). Whether or not other people agree is not my problem.

Yet, you have just obliterated your entire argument about assumptions since you just made several yourself. You are assuming that 1) I believe you are white 2) I believe you may be racist and 3) I couldn't possibly be content with you agreeing with me. Isn't that an example of the pot calling the kettle black? All I did was answer your previous question that you made out of curiosity because you felt the need to understand something. I did not pounce on you in a derogatory way; I simply addressed your concerns while citing examples regarding the need for someone to inquire about the cultural dynamics of a community.

And I do believe you are attempting to address this issue by expressing an attitude of equality. It just might not be coming out the way you mean it to.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:18 PM
pba

Default More assumptions???

Cali - My reference to you was just that...a simple reference. The rest of the post was directed at unhappilyenlightened so I'm not making any assumptions about you. Sounds like I misinterpreted some (at least) of the intent from your previous posts but I would have liked to have seen you express your agreement with me a little more especially when the other posts were so negative towards me.

Unhappy is saying crap like, "My Personal Opinion is just don't move to Rocklin, CA. if you are anything other than white.", and nobody steps up to call that a racist statement? Seems as though her kids experienced some harassment based on their race so therefore the logical conclusion is that ALL of Rocklin is racist! Only white people will be able to get along there....that's the point of what she's saying. What a crappy thing to say and nobody else has attacked this racist statement.

Rocklin has a population of approx. 36,000 so clearly unhappy has had personal experience with EVERYONE and only then was she able to draw conclusions about the entire city, right??? I can just imagine all the white folks lined up along the street with their pitchforks just waiting for the non-whites to come down the street. That's a ridiculous picture to paint and shows just how naive unhappy really is.

What if this post would have been titled, "I only want to live where the white people are. Where in Sac should I go?" Oh, that would have drawn tons of criticism but somehow it's ok to say something that's the other way around.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:00 PM

48 posts, read 144,849 times
Its a melting pot. I live in the pocket area. Good place to live I think. I goto the stores I see various races. Racism is a non issue here. Dont be an idiot and you will be treated fine

Old 05-13-2008, 11:47 AM

105 posts, read 326,274 times
I actually have found a few schools that I think I'd like;
A. Matsuyama in Pocket Greenhaven
B. Genevieve Didion on Harmon Drive
C. Camellia on 6600 Cougar Drive in Sacramento).

1. Can anyone give me some input on how close these schools are to nice apartment complexes?
My plan is to work through an agency for the 1st year to make sure i've made the right choice moving across the country.
2. How close is this to the medical center and downtown Sac?

I want to rent for 6 months or so before I jump into buying a house. I'd like to make absolutely sure before I make a home purchase committment.

Any suggestions on nice rental communities?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:23 PM
pba

Default Good Schools....

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeltagirl View Post
I actually have found a few schools that I think I'd like;
A. Matsuyama in Pocket Greenhaven
B. Genevieve Didion on Harmon Drive
C. Camellia on 6600 Cougar Drive in Sacramento).

1. Can anyone give me some input on how close these schools are to nice apartment complexes?
My plan is to work through an agency for the 1st year to make sure i've made the right choice moving across the country.
2. How close is this to the medical center and downtown Sac?

I want to rent for 6 months or so before I jump into buying a house. I'd like to make absolutely sure before I make a home purchase committment.

Any suggestions on nice rental communities?
Sorry, no info on apartments but the info I found on those schools really struck me. All three are great! Always look at the SARC scores when looking at the quality of the school. The 'School Accountability Report Card' lists everything from demographic info to how many suspensions/expulsions to general test scores. If you want to see a comparison then look at one of the Rancho Cordova elementary schools and how poor their SARC is (example - Mills Middle School (http://www.fcusd.org/SARCs.asp - broken link)). Mills (as of 2005/2006) had an overall API score that was over 200 points less than any of those three schools you mentioned. Mills had 395 suspensions/expulsions last year compared to 0 (zero) for those schools you mentioned (now that deserves a WOW!).

1) Matsuyama is a great school - here's the SARC
2) Genevieve is a great school - here's the SARC
3) Camellia is another great school - here's the SARC

Old 05-13-2008, 10:36 PM

105 posts, read 326,274 times
PBA thanks so much for the info!!!

Old 07-25-2008, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,848 times
Default the truth

I am African American, i moved to sacramento from sounthern ca.,thinking it would be better to raise my daughter. When my daughter was in high school (casa, in Citrus Heights), some of the kids hung nooses, and monkeys in their rearview mirrors saying they were going to kill all the ni----s and spiks im not sure of the word. prejudice does exist in Sacramento, people of non-color have no idea. The best advice i can give you is to stay black and strong, we encounter this everywhere we go

Old 07-25-2008, 07:06 PM
pba

Default Thanks for the info....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
I am African American, i moved to sacramento from sounthern ca.,thinking it would be better to raise my daughter. When my daughter was in high school (casa, in Citrus Heights), some of the kids hung nooses, and monkeys in their rearview mirrors saying they were going to kill all the ni----s and spiks im not sure of the word. prejudice does exist in Sacramento, people of non-color have no idea. The best advice i can give you is to stay black and strong, we encounter this everywhere we go
So many things wrong with that statement I'm not even sure where to start. Sheesh.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:18 PM

13 posts, read 43,519 times
Default My two cents

I highly doubt a lot of this stuff is real, it's clear that a lot of people are stuck-on holding onto the past. People hung nooses in a school in Citrus Heights? I'm not saying that it didn't happen, but it is so hard for me to believe. Actually I might believe it, already knowing how whites are being treated around the Birdcage mall area, it isn't suprising that they may get pissed. Drive by San Juan HS in Citrus Heights and tell me the majority race you see there, it's been mainly black for decades. The statistics speak for themselves, a white kid is 80x more likely to get jumped by a group of blacks than a black person is by a group of whites, did you know that? And this is definetely true in Citrus Heights. You think you were run out of town while you were in Rocklin for not being white? Drive down Rocklin Rd sometime and go in and out of that neighborhood there, it's mainly Mexican. I'm not black or mexican but I was kicked out of Rocklin (literally) for not having any money. I happened to be homeless at the time and was just trying to see something different so I walked to Rocklin, I've never robbed anyone in my life. Still, the cop pulled up and blatantly told me to get back onto the Sacramento County side or else. If you have the green, you will be accepted any where, I don't care what anyone tells me. This is what I already know to be true. The biggest house I've ever even seen in my life, happened to be a house that "African-Americans" lived in in Granite Bay. The whole neighborhood is mansions. I'm not accepted there, but they are, you do the math. I'm not racist but I'm from this area and I'm used to speaking my mind, want to be treated better? Then stop bringing up slavery that was over decades ago, and stop running around trying to change all the white people you meet as if you da daddy trying to show dem backwoods folk how it is. Stop jumping white kids and maybe people will be more open. Stop running around like monkeys shooting anything that moves because it makes you feel betta, and stop banging that damn drum in your cars as you ride by my house. No one likes a whiner, I was homeless for 5 years and rarely ever mention it unless it's relevant to the discussion, like in this instance. Drive down 12th st by Loaves & Fishes, and then take B all the way up to Richards and take a look at modern-day slaves (the shelter area), many if not most of which are white. Go ahead and call me racist if you want, but keep in mind, I lived it and you did not. I'm actually not a racist and would likely get along fine in a bunch of mud-huts in some African village somewhere with the locals. But I am a culturalist, and frankly I can't stand "African-American" communities and I know that some of my African (yes, black) friends do agree with me on that point. To the other people on this thread, you will have a good experience in Sac if you use your brains. If you're black, the eastside, Tahoe Park, etc. might be ideal for you, much better than Oak Park. If you're white you already know the majority of the city are salivating at the thought of your demise and you know well how to handle that. All of these things are what make me wonder if integration is really such a great thing after all (ducks stones)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or