Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2007, 11:03 PM

216 posts, read 376,603 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I started to look at buying the pocket area. I know once
you cross I-5 and go out east, your in trouble and that
the pocket area has flooding dangers.
But if your going to get a decent home and not pay $500K+
then you need to take risks ...

Can someone break down the pocket area for me?
I know of Greenhaven as being the northern part, but
what other parts of the pocket are there. Seems to be
that there are older, newer and fabulously upscale places
behind gates!

Also, what has the neighborhoods "trajectory" been
compared to the 70's, 80's and 90's. Is it getting better or going back
and forwards.

Thanks.

Last edited by inpd; 10-28-2007 at 11:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 11:12 PM

163 posts, read 773,846 times
I don't understand the first part...

However, the pocket neighborhood is (get out your map..) the area in between I-5 and the sacramento river in the south part of town. I-5 is mostly straight north and south and the river comes right in next to the freeway and then veers off west around in a big loop, or "pocket" shape, and then back up close to the freeway again. That, is the pocket.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:50 AM

325 posts, read 1,472,976 times
I would concentrate in buying in the Didion elementary school area. Excellent K-8 school and a great re-sale point.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:10 AM

202 posts, read 534,773 times
I can't speak to the neighborhood trajectory, being that I came here only recently, but I live in the Pocket and find it a nice neighborhood to live in. Greenhaven is, generally, the area Northeast of Florin Road and mostly west of I-5... everything else between the highway and that U-bend in the Sacramento River is the Pocket neighborhood. It seems to me that Greenhaven is a little nicer for homeownership... schools, very pretty streets and homes, and of course, it's borders South Land Park (great!) instead of Meadowview (not great at all). I live in the proper Pocket, in an apartment complex with all of the concerns that come with apartment living, and it's a nice and relatively quiet area. It's better to be further away from I-5 if you're looking to avoid petty criminals wandering in from the less savory South Sacramento areas, but then, that puts you closer to the levee, so you have to decide what's scarier. There is at least one ritzy area in the Pocket... the Riverlake community, which sits on a man-made lake in the southwestern part of the Pocket, is full of million-dollar homes. The rest of the area is pretty affordable, while still being a desirable, "middle class" suburban sort of atmosphere.

Be aware that, with some exceptions, there's really nothing in Pocket-Greenhaven in the way of restaurants, things to do, services, etc. There are two shopping centers which are very decent (one centering on the Nugget and one centering on Bel Air), but other than that, residents need to go downtown or to Elk Grove for a lot of things.

Last edited by AuburnJack; 10-29-2007 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: clarification/addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento