Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 09:49 PM

3 posts, read 4,372 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I will be relocating to Sacramento within the next month (just found out I got promoted yesterday!!!) and have no idea of where to live. I am moving from Boston. I will be working off of Market Blvd in North Sacramento. I am 26 years old, male, enjoy going out for beers at bars (NOT clubs). My price range would be up to about $1300. I would rather not have a super long commute... I commute 30 minutes to work now and that is long enough for me. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might accommodate me? A fun, hip part of town would be the most desirable with people around my age. Anything will be helpful! Thanks! Hope to hear from y'all soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 10:09 PM

457 posts, read 1,177,743 times
I say it depends on where you are working around the area.

If I was in your shoes there is no question about where I would be, I would be in Midtown. Look up Wburg and some of his posts. They have a lot of good info about Midtown as he seems to have been a long time Midtown resident.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:39 PM

137 posts, read 343,559 times
From a Boston native, Sacramento transplant: Assume transit options will suck, because compared to where you're coming from, they will. Move to Midtown if it's anywhere near your work.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:01 PM

I'll be visiting this Saturday. I'll be working in North Sacramento. How long would the morning and evening commute be from the midtown area to North Sacramento (Market Blvd). I would need to be at work at 7:30. Leave around 5:30ish.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:11 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,418,160 times
Are you talking about North Market Blvd.? That's in Natomas, a quick hop on I-5. If you were in midtown and hopped on I-80, and switched over to I-5 depending on traffic it wouldn't be more than 20 minutes or so. I used to work in midtown and live in Natomas and it only took me 10 minutes, but I worked an off shift and there was no rush hour traffic at all.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:39 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,785,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoydPowers99 View Post
Hello all. I will be relocating to Sacramento within the next month (just found out I got promoted yesterday!!!) and have no idea of where to live. I am moving from Boston. I will be working off of Market Blvd in North Sacramento. I am 26 years old, male, enjoy going out for beers at bars (NOT clubs). My price range would be up to about $1300. I would rather not have a super long commute... I commute 30 minutes to work now and that is long enough for me. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might accommodate me? A fun, hip part of town would be the most desirable with people around my age.
Congrats!!!
Off Market Blvd in No Sac? The closest "decent" area would be North Natomas (near the Kings Arena) but you would probably prefer midtown. Don't look at anything in the slums of So. Natomas, or anything off Northgate or Marysville Blvd

Quote:
I would need to be at work at 7:30. Leave around 5:30ish
Perfect. Your commute from anywhere will be a breeze

Old 06-27-2013, 02:01 AM

129 posts, read 528,761 times
Quote:
Hello all. I will be relocating to Sacramento within the next month (just found out I got promoted yesterday!!!) and have no idea of where to live. I am moving from Boston. I will be working off of Market Blvd in North Sacramento. I am 26 years old, male, enjoy going out for beers at bars (NOT clubs). My price range would be up to about $1300. I would rather not have a super long commute... I commute 30 minutes to work now and that is long enough for me. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might accommodate me? A fun, hip part of town would be the most desirable with people around my age. Anything will be helpful! Thanks! Hope to hear from y'all soon.
Hey! I am actually in the same boat as you. I just got to Sacramento yesterday from Chicago, at 26 years old, having never been to California before. I am currently staying in a hotel in Midtown looking for a place and have found some decent places on Craigslist. I have some friends from Boston and they've told me about the rent prices out there, so the prices here in Sacto should be relatively cheap compared to MA. Traffic to Market Blvd looks like it will only be around 20 minutes or so, traffic isn't bad at all here (in comparison to Chicago traffic/rush hour). I'm right there with ya on enjoying to go out for beers (not clubs), and it seems like there are a fairly decent amount of bars/dive bars/even breweries here in Midtown.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Congrats!!!
Off Market Blvd in No Sac? The closest "decent" area would be North Natomas (near the Kings Arena) but you would probably prefer midtown. Don't look at anything in the slums of So. Natomas, or anything off Northgate or Marysville Blvd

Perfect. Your commute from anywhere will be a breeze
So living in Midtwon and commuting up to North Market Blvd should be less than 20 minutes?

Old 06-27-2013, 10:48 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,785,404 times
Quote:
So living in Midtwon and commuting up to North Market Blvd should be less than 20 minutes?
More or less, depending on traffic conditions. I used to live in East Sac & commuted to the same area. It took me about 20-25 minutes irregardless of surface streets vs the freeway. From midtown, you can take 16th, turns into 160, then over the river where it turns into Northgate, which goes up past Frys and then you turn left onto N Market. Or, you can get on 5 north, to 80 & exit on Truxel or Northgate.

The reverse commute at 530 pm will be slightly longer since you will be in the midst of commuting hours. I always did the surface streets on the way home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento