Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 03:12 AM

7 posts, read 11,582 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My husband is moving to Folsom for a job, near prairei city rd. I have a 7 yrs and a 1.5 yr old daughter...
This is the first time we will be visiting the US and am very nervous coz of lack of information. I need guidance in many areas, namely. ?.
1) schooling for my daughters. I expect good standards and differentiated learning. My elder one is a gifted child and I want a progressive curriculum for her. She is also very active and I am keen on competitive activities like swimming, gymnastics, vocal singing, painting, etc.... I wd prefer to stay near a place with lot if facilities for kids. Are public schools good in folsom area. I can choose a house based on school n activities available. She is currently studying in an international IB school and is performing v well.
2) my younger daughter is v young but I want to get back to work by the time she is 2 yrs... whT options are available for young toddlers? Are there good play schools/ day cares? Are there any right brain training schools?
3) we would prefer a 3 bed room apartment with gym and swimming pool. I wd prefer to stay at a place where I can tk kids for activities, parks n recreation on public transport and it shd be not too far from prairei rd.
4) what would be cost of living (as in what would be budgeted dollars needed) if I put my daughters in public schools and 3-4 extra activities.

I am sorry for asking so much info, but u can opt to answer any of the points above.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 05:48 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
You'll find everything you need except public transit.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:21 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Will your husband be working at Intel? There is a nice gated apartment complex with pool & gym (Iron Point at Prairie City) diagnonally across the street, walking distance, and a lot of Intel workers live there. There is also a very busy day care, grammar school, high school, 2 parks, walking trails and a shopping center (with grocery store) within walking distance.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:56 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,150 times
Quite a change! Good luck on the move! You'll fit in fine. Folsom is a very pleasant town, the schools are good, and I'd expect you to find plenty of nice people. I don't have much to offer for specifics beyond seconding what caligirlz suggested. Here's a link to that complex: Iron Point at Prairie Oaks Apartments For Rent in Folsom, California - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com Looks like you'll be paying something in the $1800-2000/mo range.

Also, don't be shy to have you husband ask his company for suggestions if you haven't already. This is probably something they deal with regularly.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:31 AM

793 posts, read 1,419,034 times
Where is he going to work, if you don't mind us asking? There's a lot of great companies there.

Folsom is awesome! I wanted to live in Folsom, but it's one of the more expensive areas. So I work here, and commute from Lincoln.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:14 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
There are a lot of activities for children in Folsom. Some are run through the parks and recreation services of Folsom, others are privately run. Just look up youth sports Folsom and you will find quite a bit of activity. You likely won't find much in the way of sports at the elementary schools.

Folsom Cordova Unified School District / Homepage is the web page for the Folsom Cordova school district. Read about the GATE program for gifted kids...but I think it doesn't start until 3rd grade so your daughter might be too young for it. I've heard varying reviews about the quality of the program, some parents have said it's just more homework but not anything different from the rest of the kids.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:38 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Folsom is very safe, and has great schools and lots to do. You should be happy there.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:22 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
Here's a link to that complex: Iron Point at Prairie Oaks Apartments For Rent in Folsom, California - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com Looks like you'll be paying something in the $1800-2000/mo range.
Wow, that's way more than what I paid when I lived there! mine was $1300 for a 2 bedroom. l guess the demand has increased.

If your husband is working for Intel, I believe there is a corporate rate. I think it is the preferred corporate complex for Intel. Be sure to ask.

Last edited by caligirlz; 07-03-2013 at 07:32 PM..

Old 07-07-2013, 11:06 PM

290 posts, read 544,209 times
If you are in Folsom you're all set. One of the most desirable areas to live in Sacramento. There are nice apts near Iron Point Road and Prairie City. I use to live in the apts off McAdoo. Intel is very close.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:01 AM

7 posts, read 11,582 times
Thnx fr yr response, ya my husband works with intel.
My elder daughter would go to year3.
What is a grammar school?
Iron point looks good, I chked the site, would there be swimming team n gymnastics around that area?
What activities are there for toddlers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento