Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 01:48 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This is true to a point....but certain climates seem to be preferred by most humans more than others.
Yes. It's called San Diego Though I think the Canary Islands takes the title for the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 02:08 PM

117 posts, read 486,049 times
I grew up close to Redding and went to college in Chico. I was very surprised at how much nicer the weather in Sac is, due to the Delta breeze. Redding and Chico do not cool off at night, and daytime highs are often a few degrees warmer there as well. I think Sac gets a bad rap, weather wise, since it's not as nice as the southern coastal regions. But compared to most places, the weather is great! Personally I like a hot summer. When it's 75 all summer, how does anyone go swimming? Too cold.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:45 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
In San Diego, 75 degrees is a heat wave...and when it drops below 68 people start breaking out winter coats.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:54 PM

356 posts, read 703,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
She said bad hair days.

The misread had me grinning.
Hihi - just saw this reply to my post. Of course, I'm much more worried about bad hair than bad air... lol.

I just spent several days in San Diego, where I lived through the Worst Hair Week of My Life. In spite of the great weather, I decided I could never live there because the ocean breeze turns my fine hair into a frightfully frizzy mess.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:59 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_cavalière View Post
Hihi - just saw this reply to my post. Of course, I'm much more worried about bad hair than bad air... lol.

I just spent several days in San Diego, where I lived through the Worst Hair Week of My Life. In spite of the great weather, I decided I could never live there because the ocean breeze turns my fine hair into a frightfully frizzy mess.
I may move to San Diego. As a dude it won't really matter to me. I prefer humidity. I was looking at Sac, but its not where I want to be. Down to SD or Monterey Bay Area. Not like either will ever actually happen though!

Old 07-20-2013, 05:37 PM

21,865 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I agree with you; these people who aren't reading what I am really actually saying just what to be contentious. They refuse to believe facts that I've posted. I haven't distorted anything. I stand by what I've posted, the temps, the times, the comparisons.

I'm in Toronto, Canada right now, the temps is only 82 but with 40% humidty and it feels like a 100 degree day in SAC, it really does. My Toronto friends said they have been running the A/C 24/7 for over a week which is not unusual, and I can vouch for the last several days its been uncomfortably hot. I personally have felt dizzy and a bit overcome just by walking a few blocks in the morning here in Toronto.

The Toronto nights have been oppressively humid, A/C needed throughout the night.
Versus Sacramento, 108 and 26% humidity. That gives a heat index of 114. Toronto's 88 degrees and 49% humidity gives a heat index of 91. Tomorrow will be 99 with 37% humidity. Just for those people that prefer something more objective than how having a heat index of 114 is so much greater than 91. It beats Houston which is hot and humid. They'll be hitting triple digits with 50% humidity this week... heat index 123. Ouch. Or Dubai, 108 with 50% humidity, relative heat index of 150. Better than abysmal and worse than Toronto isn't great, however.

Last edited by Malloric; 07-20-2013 at 05:47 PM..

Old 07-20-2013, 07:09 PM

4,624 posts, read 4,892,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I'm in Toronto, Canada right now, the temps is only 82 but with 40% humidty and it feels like a 100 degree day in SAC, it really does.
No, it doesn't.

I'd give you 82F with 40% RH is similar to a 90F day in Sac. It, in no way, feels like a 100F day in Sac...
High 70s to low 80s with low humidity is a glorious day in the upper Great Lakes. 100F isn't a nice day in Sac, its damn hot!
82F @ 40% RH has a heat index of 81F. That's almost perfect for a human.
100F @ 15% RH has a heat index of 96F. That's far outside comfortable.
90F @ 15% RH would have a heat index of 86F. Close to Toronto today to be thought of in retrospect as similar, but not really - 5F is significant for everyone to tell the difference.

Humans have a comfort zone, as defined by ASHRE, of between 68F and 78F and between 30% and 60% RH. Ideal is between 68F and 78F @ 45% RH. Every modern building you walk into is designed to be in this range when occupied, any day of the year.

82F @ 40% RH is almost the ideal that engineers and facilities managers spend millions and millions of dollars a year to achieve.

Sacramento only hits the ideal in the winter. Otherwise it's too hot AND too dry.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:53 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
So when I got to Toronto, Canada this is what the CBCNews said:

"Temperatures stayed in the mid-30s (95 degrees fahrenheit) for most of the week. And with the humidity figured in it felt a lot more like 40 C (104 degrees fahrenheit), or higher".

"The city declared an extreme heat alert, opening cooling centres, advising people to look after themselves and check on elderly neighbours, and keeping many neighbourhood swimming pools open late into the evening to help people stay cool."

I can vouch it was oppressively hot, everyone was complaining. Toronto never cooled into the night like it does in Sacramento because of the high humidity and dew points.

Over the course of the summer, I think many of us really do underestimate the comfort levels of Sacramento, including heat waves, and unusually cool periods. It's been freaking hot here in Toronto, A/C all day and night is needed and you would never know it by just looking at the high temperature for the day.

I cooling trend for Toronto is forecasted for the coming week.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:13 PM

21,865 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Right, and today in Sacramento today that would have read "And with the humidity figured in(sic) it felt a lot more like 114 degree fahrenheit(sic),(sic) or higher." It was even hotter on July 4th this year when Sacramento hit 110, or 115 F on the Humidex scale that factors in the humidity that Canada uses.

Now Toronto's weather is back to its normal highs in the upper 70s/low 80s. I was up in Seattle when they had a record-breaking heatwave with actual temperatures at 103. It wasn't pleasant. There were only three days where it even got up to the high 90s, however... which is just regular weather for the Central Valley.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:36 PM

143 posts, read 300,270 times
I felt hot like a bastard in Sacramento and I am on the East Coast now in bad heat.. I wouldn't trade to be there though so I don't know what any of yous are talking about! It might have got cold at night but that daytime was horrible and constant sun and the browning of everything was terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento