Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 09:50 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times

Advertisements

MORE FUN IN SACRAMENTO IN THE SUMMER NEAR DISCOVERY PARK - SACRAMENTO:

NEAR THE CONFLUENCE OF THE SACRAMENTO AND AMERICAN RIVERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50U-LpPh1E

CURRENT TEMPS: 9:00 AM August 6, 2017 with expected High temp

Sacramento: 65F, expected high 88F (heat index)

Portland: 66F, expected high 93F (heat index) - oh my, Sacramento is cooler than Portland in the Summer, really, sometimes, it happens more than you think :-)

San Francisco: 55F, (wind chill), expected high 63F - that's just wrong, SF Summer weather is as Cold as their Winter weather often.

Phoenix: 91F, expected high 105F

Austin: 84F, expected high 106F (heat index)

Fresno: 77F, expected high 99F

Last edited by Chimérique; 08-06-2017 at 10:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 10:28 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
MORE FUN IN SACRAMENTO IN THE SUMMER NEAR DISCOVERY PARK - SACRAMENTO:

NEAR THE CONFLUENCE OF THE SACRAMENTO AND AMERICAN RIVERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50U-LpPh1E

CURRENT TEMPS: 9:00 AM August 6, 2017 with expected High temp

Sacramento: 65F, expected high 88F (heat index)

Portland: 66F, expected high 93F (heat index) - oh my, Sacramento is cooler than Portland in the Summer, really, sometimes, it happens more than you think :-)

San Francisco: 55F, (wind chill), expected high 63F - that's just wrong, SF Summer weather is as Cold as their Winter weather often.

Phoenix: 91F, expected high 105F

Austin: 84F, expected high 106F (heat index)

Fresno: 77F, expected high 99F
In all fairness, you are comparing the heat index and not the temperature. Portland's actual high temperature is expected to be 92 and Sacramento 91. But Portland does beat Out Sacramento! In fact, Portland should be a couple degrees hotter than Sacramento all week in the mid-90s. But keep in mind that the average high temperature in Portland never gets above 81 degrees, which is more than 10 degrees cooler than Sacramento and cooler than even much of the Bay Area. So for Portland to be hotter than Sacramento, it has to be in heat wave while Sacramento can't be in one. It would be interesting to see how many actual days per year Portland is warmer in the daytime. I'll bet it's not that many, but Portland does get some surprising heat waves in the summer!

And yes, San Francisco summer weather is the worst! My favorite times are spring and fall in the shoulder Seasons, but I've even been out in shorts and t-shirts in January when it gets into the seventies. Not often, but it happens more often than you might expect!

Old 08-06-2017, 11:58 AM

So I got super curious about Portland summer temps and compared June through September of 2016 and June through the present of this year. This year, there have only been four days so far this Summer that have been hotter in Portland than Sacramento, but in 2016, there were 11 days during a 3 and 1/2 month period, which is approximately one in six days. I imagine that ratio drops considerably the rest of the year, but pretty impressive nonetheless!

Of course, these are just very small samples, so you would have to look at a lot of summers to see what the average is. Last year may have been high and this year could be low. Who knows.

Last edited by tstieber; 08-06-2017 at 12:13 PM..

Old 08-06-2017, 07:10 PM

266 posts, read 334,133 times
Fresno peaked at 97 today
Sac at 89
Portland at 89

Per google

Chim must be doing back flips right now.

Not all good news tho

Fresno air and sac air are close to identical these next 2 days(like most of this summer ;p)

Old 08-07-2017, 11:31 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Lush, lol, and exaggeration, there are by far greener places across the country than Austin. I noticed you said, it SEEMS a lot better, again some Bay Area guy, commenting on Sacramento for which he does not live in.

I've swam in Barton Springs several times when visiting a friend who lives in Austin. I'd take the PUBLIC POOL IN SACRAMENTO'S MCKINLEY PARK over that, LOL. Which by the way I took Bay Area friends to swim in(public pool at McKinley Park) while visiting Sacramento and they loved it and the 95F degrees that came with it, LOL.

No, the AMERICAN RIVER IS BY FAR MORE ACTIVE THAN the colorado river in Austin. As well as, Sacramento's Folsom Lake and Sacramento River, lol.
Yes I'm aware there are places more lush than Austin across the country but I was clearly comparing it to Sacramento. Typical deflection and inferiority complex, upset that Austin is more lush so you try to compare it to other parts of the country since you know Sac is dry and dusty in comparison but won't admit it.

Also I didn't say "seems a lot BETTER" and never even used that word. That's just an inferiority complex putting words in my mouth.

You probably also prefer a lame indoor mall over an urban shopping district too LOL. Being in Sac you kind of have to I guess. I can't believe you're actually bragging about some lame, public pool. But it's Sac so I guess your run-of-the mill public pool is actually a big deal there. Sac doesn't have anything like Barton Springs so I guess you have to try to hype up what you got lol. SAD.

Yeah I doesn't appear so at all. I saw a lot more paddle boarders, boaters, and personal watercraft on the CO River than I've seen on Sac River.

Last edited by sav858; 08-07-2017 at 11:48 AM..

Old 08-07-2017, 11:36 AM

I think it really is the constant sun that makes Sac so miserable in summer. This past weekend I went camping near Valley Springs and we were all commenting how glad we were that it was cloudy. It was still warm/hot to enjoy the lake but without the oppressive sun constantly beating down on you. The Heat Index doesn't really tell the whole story of how miserable Sac is because of the constant sun.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
I saw a fb post from a friend in Palo Alto stating: "looked outside and saw gray skies so put on my long sleeves, sweater, socks, and sneakers on myself and the kiddo Was shocked to go outside and find it was hot outside". Yes, it's THAT rare that you guys automatically see gray skies and assume chilly sweater weather, even in the middle of summer. Did you get any rain or thunder from it?
Some places did apparently, I didn't experience it first hand though except for a couple of raindrops Saturday.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:18 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
The heat index in Austin makes it feel 5-15 degrees hotter than it is, and the heat index in Sacramento makes it feel 5-10 degrees COOLER than it is.

Average Heat Index:
90F in Sacramento feels like 85F

90F in Austin feels like 100F

100F in Sacramento feels like 96F

100F in Austin feels like 112F

Currently: Aug 8, 2017

Austin heat index is 91F at 9:30pm - Rarely is it this hot in Sacramento at night.

Sacramento heat index is 71F at 9:30pm

Common Sense says stay out of the direct sun, in fact, if it is a bit overcast and cloudy, people are often fooled on how powerful the direct sun as it is in Austin with its lower latitude than Sacramento; the Sun is often more powerful down there then up here.

Latitude

Sacramento near 39 degrees Lat (38.34)
San Diego near 33 degrees Lat (32.71)
Austin near 30 degrees Lat (30.26)

Old 08-08-2017, 11:39 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,260,588 times
At any given temperature and heat index, Sacramento weather is now more expensive thanks to the Federal Reserve and foreigners pricing Bay Area residents out of their homes and into Sac-town.

Enjoy the weather while you can, because the price is going to go up more.

Take it from a house-poor San Diegan - good weather is overblown.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
The heat index in Austin makes it feel 5-15 degrees hotter than it is, and the heat index in Sacramento makes it feel 5-10 degrees COOLER than it is.

Average Heat Index:
90F in Sacramento feels like 85F

90F in Austin feels like 100F

100F in Sacramento feels like 96F

100F in Austin feels like 112F

Currently: Aug 8, 2017

Austin heat index is 91F at 9:30pm - Rarely is it this hot in Sacramento at night.

Sacramento heat index is 71F at 9:30pm

Common Sense says stay out of the direct sun, in fact, if it is a bit overcast and cloudy, people are often fooled on how powerful the direct sun as it is in Austin with its lower latitude than Sacramento; the Sun is often more powerful down there then up here.

Latitude

Sacramento near 39 degrees Lat (38.34)
San Diego near 33 degrees Lat (32.71)
Austin near 30 degrees Lat (30.26)
Very good point about the sun intensity in Austin. Although you should be applying the same generally accepted rounding practices for all three cities. You rounded up San Diego, rounded down Austin, but rounded up Sacramento when it should have been rounded down. Sacramento is much closer to 38 than 39 degrees latitude. All of these latitudes are nothing to sneeze at with regards to Summer Sun intensity when you consider that even the southernmost portions of Europe like Sicily or the south of Spain are on the latitude of Sacramento, and places like San Diego and Austin are squarely within Northern Africa's latitudes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento