Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2017, 02:01 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I think part of it depends on the water temperature in the pool as well. My niece went to the beach in Del Mar yesterday and complained that the ocean was way too cold even though I believe it was around 75 degrees water temperature, which is pretty warm. But it was an overcast day with Marine layer, so it wasn't the same as going in on a sunny day. A dip in a cool pool would be tough in the evening, but a warm pool might be a different ball game.
Yeah that would make a difference. Also San Diego even inland is more humid so 82 is going to feel warmer there than in Sac usually. Especially if the "Delta Breeze" is going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 05:11 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
4:09pm

From Accuweather:
Las Vegas: 93, real feel temp = 90
Sac: 94, real feel temp = 98!

Sac feels 8 degrees hotter than Las Vegas right now!

Old 08-11-2017, 10:50 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
4:09pm

From Accuweather:
Las Vegas: 93, real feel temp = 90
Sac: 94, real feel temp = 98!

Sac feels 8 degrees hotter than Las Vegas right now!
Oh my, once a year that happens, for one hour, I bet you could not wait to post that. I don't even believe it. Belly laughs, considering that:

At 9:30 pm, same day, Aug 11:

Sacramento is 77F - drinks on the outdoor patio, :-)
Las Vegas is 90F

what happened....belly laughs

Last edited by Chimérique; 08-11-2017 at 11:03 PM..

Old 08-11-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
LOL, not remotely close to the same thing at all. But you prefer an average public pool to a place like Barton Springs so I'm not surprised you would say something like this.

Either way Lake Travis/CO River >>>>>>> Folsom Lake/Sac/American Rivers by far!
From the person who doesn't even live in either place. Actually, I prefer our backyard pool to Barton Springs, but the Public Pool at McKinley Park is pretty darn nice too.

You can't Class III-IV white water on the co river, nor do you have reasonable access to the ocean in Austin, like you do in Sacramento.

FOLSOM LAKE IS PRETTY DARN AWESOME: I know the song choice is unbearable, mute it, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym9uUVTxLjc

Last edited by Chimérique; 08-11-2017 at 11:46 PM..

Old 08-11-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Yea claiming 82 degrees is too cold for pool weather is the second stupidest thing I have heard all week.
BELLY LAUGHS, Thank You! Sacramento has awesome awesome, water recreation weather, in the backyard pool, or public pool-and we have a lot of them, or the American River, the Sacramento River, or Folsom Lake.

There is a lot I like about the Bay Area but outdoor Summer water recreation is awful awful, unless you are a true athletic surfer, wind surfer or sailor....wet suit, or long pants, or "winter attire" are needed.

When you are on SF Bay or surfing on the NorCal beaches it's not that much different from Summer to Winter regarding temperature. SoCal is so much nicer for surfing, warm beach days, and sailing than NorCal for in-the-water activities.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:48 PM

332 posts, read 524,671 times
What seems interesting about Sacramento is the huge difference in temperature between day and night -- and comparing it to Chicago -- the big factor is the proximity to water. In Sacramento -- you go to SF to have cooler daytime temps.

Chicago -- it all depends on the lake and the proximity to it. This year, summer weather in Chicago has been pretty much perfect IMHO. But what's interesting about Chicago, is that weather totally changes based on how close you are to the lake and also how far/powerful the lake breeze is on a particular day. There's been times when it's been 75 at the lake and 95 at O'Hare. The lakefront averages like 8 days per yr of 90 or greater. When it does get hot a lot of times it feels cooler during the day than it does during the night -- the lake breeze will kick in and cool things off but then when it gets dark the lake breeze will stop and then it will feel hotter. So, at 3PM it can be 85 at the beach with a breeze and feeling perfect then at 10PM when you're back at your apt which is built to withstand winter it's still 80 so then you need to pump that AC. And then a few days later it will cool off and it will be 74 for the high and 63 for the low. So Chicago summer weather overall is pretty awesome, but with the potential for a handful of hot waves and a handful of chilly days (about a week ago, the high was 68).

Sac it seems is more consistent in the summer. You know you're pretty much every day it's going to be sunny and hot during the day but then it will cool off significantly at night. So, that inland to water effect in Sac -- SF seems more consistent but the distance is further whereas with all of Chicago being closer to the lake it just depends on exact specific proximity to the lake plus what mood the lake is on a particular day.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:13 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I think part of it depends on the water temperature in the pool as well. My niece went to the beach in Del Mar yesterday and complained that the ocean was way too cold even though I believe it was around 75 degrees water temperature, which is pretty warm. But it was an overcast day with Marine layer, so it wasn't the same as going in on a sunny day. A dip in a cool pool would be tough in the evening, but a warm pool might be a different ball game.
I stand corrected. Ocean water temp dropped suddenly to 63f. No wonder she was cold!

Old 08-12-2017, 03:43 PM

266 posts, read 334,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
BELLY LAUGHS, Thank You! Sacramento has awesome awesome, water recreation weather, in the backyard pool, or public pool-and we have a lot of them, or the American River, the Sacramento River, or Folsom Lake.

There is a lot I like about the Bay Area but outdoor Summer water recreation is awful awful, unless you are a true athletic surfer, wind surfer or sailor....wet suit, or long pants, or "winter attire" are needed.

When you are on SF Bay or surfing on the NorCal beaches it's not that much different from Summer to Winter regarding temperature. SoCal is so much nicer for surfing, warm beach days, and sailing than NorCal for in-the-water activities.

But I thought you said sac had better beach access than fresno

Fresno to slo, SB, Ventura beaches, and LA beaches for easy day trips. You can even do orange county beaches most weekends(leave Early to save lots of time)
Sac only gets to use those nice norcal beaches you talk so fondly of.

Inb4 "But, but me rivers"

Last edited by Flovis; 08-12-2017 at 04:13 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flovis View Post
But I thought you said sac had better beach access than fresno

Fresno to slo, SB, Ventura beaches, and LA beaches for easy day trips. You can even do orange county beaches most weekends(leave Early to save lots of time)
Sac only gets to use those nice norcal beaches you talk so fondly of.

Inb4 "But, but me rivers"
Its still nice to go to NorCal beaches in the summer to find very cool weather, and for walks, hikes in the hills and mountains & forests above the beaches, and for wetsuit surfing...and deep sea fishing and sailing.

If you want a warm/hot environment with lots of Sun in the summer, Sacramento doesn't need an ocean beach because we have the Sacramento & American Rivers, Folsom Lake, and Nimbus and Rancho Seco Lakes. Under 2 hours we have Lake Berryessa, Donner Lake, Lake Tahoe, and Clear Lake. We don't need a SoCal Beach.

We can discuss realistic proximity to beaches in the Fresno vs. Sac thread if you want. I've got numbers, :-)

4:00 p.m. hottest time of the day, August 12

Heat index
Austin - 107F
Fresno - 100F

Sacramento - 94F

Oakland - 67F - for our summer time activities today, a day in the 60's would be way too cold, this is why our bay area friends visit us in Sacramento for things like rafting down the river.

Last edited by Chimérique; 08-12-2017 at 07:11 PM..

Old 08-14-2017, 08:46 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Quote:
Yeah that would make a difference. Also San Diego even inland is more humid so 82 is going to feel warmer there than in Sac usually. Especially if the "Delta Breeze" is going.
True, but it's only 82f in inland San Diego at 9 pm a handful of times a year, and on those rare occasions,yes it would be humid. But its rarity makes it a somewhat hypothetical comparison. For the past ten days or so, we can't even stay above 70f by 9pm, and it looks like we won't get above the low 80s for the next ten days, and hovering around 60f at night. Granted, it's unusual to have June Gloom and cold ocean temps in August, but I don't think it's been above 80f at 9pm more than two or three times so far all summer. Sacramento definitely has balmier evenings even if it cools down more by daybreak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento