Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 12:06 PM

434 posts, read 983,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1026 View Post

Great analysis and good points. San Diego will often have that unique and special allure that tugs at the soul but in reality, if you are in a price range under $ 1.2 Million dollars you need to compare places like east Poway and Escondido to places like Sacramento (in terms of house cost and overall COL). When you compare weather to any place 6-8 miles inland and beyond the weather is strikingly similar to Sacramento. At that point, that is where your analysis is spot on in that you can choose a really nice suburb of Sacramento and get much better schools and quality community choices..
Just a bit of exaggeration in there? Do you at least have a genuine familiarity with San Diego County? But at least you said "east Poway," ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 02:16 PM

6,875 posts, read 8,163,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSDLifer View Post
Just a bit of exaggeration in there? Do you at least have a genuine familiarity with San Diego County? But at least you said "east Poway," ha.
I do, I grew up in SD (Clairemont), and I had an Uncle(retired navy) who moved to Poway after living years in Clairemont, and he often talked of how Poway was more like Sacramento weather than Clairemont-San Diego.

My nephew(SD State student-lifetime surfer) who is from Sacramento has lived in coastal San Deigo for 3yrs, he often says he drives only 10-15 miles inland and he is in Sacto daytime weather, Sacto nights on average are cooler than anywhere in SD.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:44 PM

434 posts, read 983,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I do, I grew up in SD (Clairemont), and I had an Uncle(retired navy) who moved to Poway after living years in Clairemont, and he often talked of how Poway was more like Sacramento weather than Clairemont-San Diego.

My nephew(SD State student-lifetime surfer) who is from Sacramento has lived in coastal San Deigo for 3yrs, he often says he drives only 10-15 miles inland and he is in Sacto daytime weather, Sacto nights on average are cooler than anywhere in SD.
Now I don't know Sac area schools at all, and am not anti-Sac at all, FWIW. Have family in Sutter Creek - again, FWIW - and would be open to moving there for career, snowboarding etc. I was just mostly questioning the real estate value the poster used. Yeah, it's expensive here, but it's not SF/SJ. People don't need to spend $1.2M to get their kids into high-test-score schools. I suppose if you are talking best of best HSs, again from test-score perspective (read: overrated), then you are indeed getting closer.

I'm 10 miles from the beach, with no real elevation hurdles blocking NW, W breezes from the coast. When it surpasses 90, it's something of a big deal here. This ain't real proof of anything, of course, but right now it's 73 and breezy. wunderground.com says Sacto is 84.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:06 PM

SDLifer,
Ok, didn't realize u were taking about the real estate,no comment on that, I'll leave that to others for now.
Weather.com shows a heat index of 79 right now in SAC.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:35 PM

I know I'm obsessed with this:
Right now:

San Deigo: 68
San Francisco: 69
Los Angeles: 71

Riverside: 76
Sacramento: 80

Fresno: 89
Phoenix: 98

Old 09-20-2013, 08:28 PM

4,025 posts, read 3,256,066 times
I don't see a whole lot of difference in summer time temperatures in Poway vs Sacramento. In the winter time, Sacramento is much coolerr, but summer temperatures are pretty similar.

Average Weather for Sacramento, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

Average Weather for Poway, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 09-20-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
I don't see a whole lot of difference in summer time temperatures in Poway vs Sacramento. In the winter time, Sacramento is much coolerr, but summer temperatures are pretty similar.

Average Weather for Sacramento, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

Average Weather for Poway, CA - Temperature and Precipitation
Shelato, thanks for posting those graphs because it shows that Inland San Diego is more like Sacramento, than coastal San Diego.

And, thanks for posting those graphs because it shows that those graphs have limitations, these graphs illustrate what I meant by:

"When you look at only low temps and highs temps averaged over the entire year or month you lose accurate detailed information of what the actual weather may feel like over the course of a day, hour by hour."

June for example, shows on average a high of 88 for SAC, but if you didn't know typical Sacramento Summer evening patterns you would never know that it doesn't stay 88 for very long and for most of the day the temp was below 80 degrees, and that the temp dropped quickly to cooler temps in the early evening. The same graph could be for Austin, for example but Austin doesn't have any of those cooling attributes ON AVERAGE the way SAC does. Of course, that graph, if for Austin would show a much higher low temp.

Also, the graph doesn't show the effect of higher humidities and heat indicies, so one would never know that the high temp of 88 in SAC is really 85 adjusted for heat index, and the high temp showing for Austin would a good 3-5 degrees warmer, to say 93.

Those graphs make Sacramento look hotter than it really is and places like Austin look cooler than they really are.

Last edited by Chimérique; 09-20-2013 at 09:07 PM..

Old 09-21-2013, 09:33 PM

4,025 posts, read 3,256,066 times
Quote:
Now I don't know Sac area schools at all, and am not anti-Sac at all, FWIW. Have family in Sutter Creek - again, FWIW - and would be open to moving there for career, snowboarding etc. I was just mostly questioning the real estate value the poster used. Yeah, it's expensive here, but it's not SF/SJ. People don't need to spend $1.2M to get their kids into high-test-score schools. I suppose if you are talking best of best HSs, again from test-score perspective (read: overrated), then you are indeed getting closer.

I'm 10 miles from the beach, with no real elevation hurdles blocking NW, W breezes from the coast. When it surpasses 90, it's something of a big deal here. This ain't real proof of anything, of course, but right now it's 73 and breezy. wunderground.com says Sacto is 84.
In many respects Poway and Folsom are fairly similar. If anything the schools are probably a little better in Folsom vs Poway according to good schools rankings. Incomes are similar $94,724 for Poway, $95,251 for Folsom. The climate isn't that different. But the price per sq ft is different. Its $209 per square foot in Folsom vs $288 in Poway.

ZIP Code 95630, FOLSOM CA, Database - FOLSOM California CA Map, U.S. ZIP Codes
ZIP Code 92064, POWAY CA, Database - POWAY California CA Map, U.S. ZIP Codes

DQNews - Los Angeles Times Zip Code Chart
DQNews - Sacramento Bee Zip Code Chart

If you want to argue that the coastal parts of San Diego are much nicer than anything climatically in Sacramento I agree with you. But as you go inland in San Diegp County, its gets really tough to argue that if you live in Poway that you are living in a dramatically better climate than Folsom or Sacramento.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:36 PM

220 posts, read 414,648 times
Quote:
NorthSDLifer,
Thanks for posting. I would love any feedback that can help me find a great location in San Diego that meets our families criteria. With two kids that are soon to be in High School we are looking for a great school (sounds easy so far :-)). Our weird quirk is we want to find a rowing center for High School kids (only place I can find in San Diego is on the beach side of Mission Bay - but it is a NICE place and sounds like a great rowing center). High rated High Schools around Mission Bay seems to be La Jolla which is way out of our price range.

You asked if I know San Diego. I have never lived there so I do not come close to knowing it like a local but I have been to San Diego/Carlsbad/Escondido no less then 25 times and have vacationed there for weeks on end. We spent our last two trips specifically carving out a few days to look for houses. I have researched weather forums for hours/weeks on end.....to the point that I think the perfect weather in San Diego is right at about the 5-8 mile range inland from the beach. One example is in the West Poway area around Black Mountain. We were there for 2 days and toured all the new house models and the entire area. Most homes that seemed a fit for us were going to start around $ 800-900 and when you added granite this and upgraded that you were looking in the $ 900+ range (so yes I did exaggerate and I apologize - I did not mean it in a bad way). East Poway had homes in our price range BUT I think there is a HUGE difference in weather from West Poway to East Poway. Also happened to find out about a huge government bond issue that happened in Poway that is going to really hurt all of their home owners down the road.

That brings me to the comparison to Sacramento.....it appears that the weather east of I-15 is somewhat similar to Sacramento which honestly was a shock to an outsider like me. There literally seems to be up to a 10 degree high temp range difference from the east tip of lets say Poway to the west tip of Poway. Amazing to an outsider but would not know this unless I spent lots of time researching and asking questions versus simply looking at the weather sites that just give one high and low temp for all of San Diego.

Anyway, If you can let me know of any areas to look at in San Diego that have the following let me know:

* Relatively close to Mission Bay since we will end up driving there 5-6 times a week after school for our kids rowing.
* Price within $ 500-800k (with obvious preference towards lower if possible :-))
* Great public High School
* Low crime stats (we live in an area around Orlando called Windermere that has very low crime rates)
* Access to nice biking trails (I have to admit that is for me since my knees are not great and I love biking to make up for not being able to jog).
* Best weather possible (subjective I know but generally more sun then rain/grey and warm vs freezing cold but less humidity. I have lived in Florida basically my whole life so have put up with extreme heat and humidity a long time so probably almost any place in California would be heaven on earth in that regard).

We have researched all over the west coast = from Washington to Oregon (example - Lake Poway outside Portland would be perfect and is beautiful but I have to admit I could probably not put up with the 6 months of PNW grey/rainy weather) to all of California and for some strange reason Folsom/EDH is the place that keeps showing up (Folsom happens to have this awesome rowing center right on the American River). As I said we have been to San Diego 25 times but have been all over California. We have been to Sacramento a few times and once for four solid days just to specifically check out the vibe for a potential move. I got to ride a bike a few days on the AR Trail and we got to check out the rowing center in Folsom. Honestly it is a typical higher end suburb with your chain stores and shops but I readily admit that - that is what we want.

Please let me know about San Diego because we are planning on two more trips out west within a year and I would love to have any excuse to go back to visit San Diego = a beautiful place.

Last edited by Eric1026; 09-28-2013 at 02:49 PM..

Old 09-29-2013, 11:47 AM

51 posts, read 108,573 times
Sacramento has better summer weather than Escondido/Poway because it is consistently warmer and does not experience May Gray/June Gloom--I think. However, the Escondido/Poway area has better weather overall due to much warmer, drier winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento