Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2019, 04:43 PM

3,465 posts, read 5,261,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
ryan, No it's not tunnel vision it's called facts: 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's is not Warm and that is where Phoenix temps have been for the last few weeks.

Taco, No, I have never said that a Sacramento winter was warmer than a Phoenix winter. I'm pointing out that Phoenix is not warm in the winter; it's not Hawaii warm and and it's not Florida warm. In fact, there are times during the winter when Phoenix is/was actually colder than Sacramento, and Sacramento is 750 miles north of Phoenix.

When Phoenix is 78F and above and low temps are in the upper 60's than you can call it Warm.

If am seeking warmth in the winter, I'd pick Hawaii, Florida and Mexico any day over Phoenix.

Jan 6, 2019 8:15pm

Sacramento 49F - If Phx has "warm" winters I guess Sac does too.
Phoenix 48F

Las Vegas 47F
Denver 43F
Portland 40F
Seattle 40F
Tucson 35F
Spokane 35F
Salt Lake City 34F
I think this is a totally fair and reasonable post. I would make the same decision if I wanted warm winters. And for me, warm would be in the 70s. 60 degrees is nothing worth traveling for, especially since it happens at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 05:41 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,297,853 times
It is currently 62 in Phoenix. They reached 63 today.
It is currently 56 at Sac Executive where the high reached 58.
The stats for Sac Int'l, currently 53 after a high of 58.

Forecast for the coming week:
Phoenix will have highs from 68 to 72. Morning low for Tuesday is expected to be 42 (because the sky will be clear enough to allow it to get that cold) followed by lows from 47 to 49 for the remainder of the week when cloud cover keeps it warmer overnight. Scattered couldiness is expected most day, but otherwise dry.

For Sacramento the highs this week will be 56 to 59 with lows 46 to 51. It will be wet and gusty enough to **** off most people who don't like rain being blown all over them.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:58 AM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
The forecast for Phx shows mostly highs in the 60's; lows in the low to mid 40's. I don't care if it reaches the high 70's, temps in the 40's is not "warm".

This evening, Jan 7, 2019, the temperature range was:

Sacramento: 53F to 48F
Phoenix: 55F to 46F

The above range is almost identical, in fact, the average is identical.

At this very moment: Sacramento(48F) is 4 degrees warmer than Phoenix (44F).

44F is not Warm.

Below is warm, coupled with humidity above 60%:
Honolulu ranged 78F to 72F this evening.
Miami ranged 76F to 70F this evening.
Puerto Vallarta ranged 80F to 70F this evening.

Last edited by Chimérique; 01-08-2019 at 02:08 AM..

Old 01-08-2019, 04:44 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,297,853 times
Quote:
The forecast for Phx shows mostly highs in the 60's; lows in the low to mid 40's. I don't care if it reaches the high 70's, temps in the 40's is not "warm".
Here is the forecast for Phoenix, which has changed a bit. All lows above 47. Highs above 70 for Tue, Wed, and Thu. 68 for Friday, 65 for Saturday.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...1#.XDSIxWl7nIU

Nobody made any claims about temperatures in the 40s being warm. You keep making an issue with temperatures in Sacramento being a degree or warmer than Phoenix by a degree or two on specific days and specific times. I'm telling you the weather differences between the two locations over the last week are meaningless because the winter climate in Phoenix is warmer than Sacramento.

Again, the average temperatures in Phoenix are warmer than the temperatures in Sacramento. Trying to make some claim that Sacramento has a better climate by noting a cold spell in Phoenix is on the same level as someone trying to make a claim that the winters are better in Portland by pointing those times when the temperatures in Portland are warmer than those in Sacramento, which happens quite frequently.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:12 AM

Well, this brings up a good point between the two of you. There are the highs and lows during the course of a day, and then there are temperatures at different times of the day. I think it's fair to compare highs and lows, but then it's also fair to compare other times of the day, given that we experience the whole day and not just that brief moment of highs and lows. I'm finally looking forward to reaching 70f in my inland SD neighborhood today, as it's been several weeks since we had a day that warm, but I know that this time of year, by 5 PM it'll be in the 50s, and by 7 PM, it will probably be in the 40s. In fact, from sunset to sunrise, my temps have regularly been quite similar to inland NorCal over the past several weeks and often are during the winter. The reason is that my southerly latitude may benefit at times from a little more daylight and little stronger sun during daytime hours, but once the sun goes, we're all in the same boat again. So when people go to work or get off work, it's not that different. Those lucky enough to be outside at 1 or 2 PM today will be able to enjoy a great day. And this is why places like Phoenix or Palm Springs often get very cold nights in winter, or if it's cloudy or raining, it'll be much colder than when it's sunny.

In any case, Google shows me a whopping TWO days of rain (today and tomorrow) in Sacramento, then partly cloudy, with highs between 56-62 and lows 43-46 during the next eight days. For me in SD, I have FOUR days of rain (Saturday through Tuesday) in the same period, and highs from 62 to 67 (excluding today's 70f) with lows 43-47. That's about 5 to 6 degrees difference during the day and the same at night. Yes, Sacramento is "colder," but it's not night and day is all. The idea that 56-62 is freezing cold and 62-67 is balmy is a bit of a stretch. It's California winter, and it is what it is.

I will say one thing that's unusual this year is that the spread between the PNW, NorCal, and SoCal is narrower than usual. In general, the PNW has been running way above average, often in the low 50s, NorCal has been around average in the upper 50s, and SoCal has been below average in the low 60s. So that's only a ten degree spread in recent weeks between the entire west coast, which should normally be twenty degrees between Seattle and SD.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:47 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Well, this brings up a good point between the two of you. There are the highs and lows during the course of a day, and then there are temperatures at different times of the day. I think it's fair to compare highs and lows, but then it's also fair to compare other times of the day, given that we experience the whole day and not just that brief moment of highs and lows. I'm finally looking forward to reaching 70f in my inland SD neighborhood today, as it's been several weeks since we had a day that warm, but I know that this time of year, by 5 PM it'll be in the 50s, and by 7 PM, it will probably be in the 40s. In fact, from sunset to sunrise, my temps have regularly been quite similar to inland NorCal over the past several weeks and often are during the winter. The reason is that my southerly latitude may benefit at times from a little more daylight and little stronger sun during daytime hours, but once the sun goes, we're all in the same boat again. So when people go to work or get off work, it's not that different. Those lucky enough to be outside at 1 or 2 PM today will be able to enjoy a great day. And this is why places like Phoenix or Palm Springs often get very cold nights in winter, or if it's cloudy or raining, it'll be much colder than when it's sunny.

In any case, Google shows me a whopping TWO days of rain (today and tomorrow) in Sacramento, then partly cloudy, with highs between 56-62 and lows 43-46 during the next eight days. For me in SD, I have FOUR days of rain (Saturday through Tuesday) in the same period, and highs from 62 to 67 (excluding today's 70f) with lows 43-47. That's about 5 to 6 degrees difference during the day and the same at night. Yes, Sacramento is "colder," but it's not night and day is all. The idea that 56-62 is freezing cold and 62-67 is balmy is a bit of a stretch. It's California winter, and it is what it is.

I will say one thing that's unusual this year is that the spread between the PNW, NorCal, and SoCal is narrower than usual. In general, the PNW has been running way above average, often in the low 50s, NorCal has been around average in the upper 50s, and SoCal has been below average in the low 60s. So that's only a ten degree spread in recent weeks between the entire west coast, which should normally be twenty degrees between Seattle and SD.
This is very true, but it’s a bit disingenuous to use times that most people are settled in for the night, or asleep, to make a point about one’s temperature.

I don’t buy the argument that if it’s similar when people go/get off work that we’re all in the same boat with a lucky few who can enjoy/benefit from the weather. Many people work outside, there’s retirees, those that work at night, kids with outdoor activities and after school sports, homemakers running errands, the self employed doing the same, those with weekdays off, and of course the weekends. I’m sure I’m missing many others, but I’ve been in several of those categories and the weather during those 9-5 hours, as we’ll call it, is very important.

I just looked and it’s 72 in Phoenix and 54 in Sacramento with a couple of hours of daylight left. I can’t think who would actually prefer 54 to 72 if they’re outside right now. Who cares what it is at 8pm or 12am, etc.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:

I will say one thing that's unusual this year is that the spread between the PNW, NorCal, and SoCal is narrower than usual. In general, the PNW has been running way above average, often in the low 50s, NorCal has been around average in the upper 50s, and SoCal has been below average in the low 60s. So that's only a ten degree spread in recent weeks between the entire west coast,
This is interesting. I wonder how long it will last?

Quote:
which should normally be twenty degrees between Seattle and SD.
This is why I prefer Sacramento winters; it too cold and wet in Seattle/Portland; and it's too much of the same ole' thing in San Diego, no real winter, fair, little temperature variation, not much rain.

(I'll take your word for it that the part of SD County you live in gives you more variety and temp variation than SD proper).

Last edited by Chimérique; 01-08-2019 at 07:48 PM..

Old 01-08-2019, 07:37 PM

I just looked and Phoenix is 58F and Sacramento is 54F. This is when I run after work or walk the dogs outside, nothing disingenuous about that.

It's winter! I really don't care that the high temp didn't reach 72F for 10 minutes. I know we will have plenty plenty of moderate to warm full sunny days to come. I cherish our winter.

Ooh, Ooh, there was fog in my neighborhood this morning. Every where is super green, with big trees and piles of leaves, super fresh air. It was 53F with the fog when I took the dogs out, (21 degrees above freezing). The fog was gone by 10:30 a.m.

I like that our January looks and feels so different than our July. Not that I need snow where I live, but if I want tons and tons of real snow its 35 minutes away.

Last edited by Chimérique; 01-08-2019 at 07:47 PM..

Old 01-09-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:

(I'll take your word for it that the part of SD County you live in gives you more variety and temp variation than SD proper).
Thank you for acknowledging that! In general, I think inland CA shares a lot of commonalities, even down to the native oak trees.

Now with Phoenix reaching 72f yesterday, I have to add that we did too! And it was delightful. I happen not to be one of those strapped to an office chair either, because I work from home, so we sat by the pool on our laptops and enjoyed the warmth. It was interspersed with bursts of cooler wind for a bit, then a recovery back to warmth, and by 3 PM, it was over. But it was still hovering in the upper 50s by 8 PM and never got below 50f this morning, which was a nice change of pace. Unfortunately, it was the first day above 70f in about four weeks and the only one for the foreseeable future. But I'll take even a few hours of warm weather to make the rest of winter (mild as it may be in CA, despite our complaints) more tolerable. I will also add that yesterday was the first day in four weeks that didn't require us to turn on the heater.

And that goes back to one point I had made (either here or on the other winter weather thread): the main difference between Sac and SoCal is the *frequency* of certain temperatures. We get the same temps down here as well, but we *also* get those occasional warm winter days more often than Sac does. I know a couple of winters ago, Sac got loads of 70s in February, but it's less common than down here. There isn't much difference between the coldest days and nights or the hottest days and nights of the year, which is why we can all grow the same plants, but the particular mix of one or the other makes the bigger difference. And overall, Sacramento has a climate nearly identical to other Mediterranean climates of its latitude, and San Diego has a semi-arid climate nearly identical to coastal northern Africa, which shares its latitude. Both are absolutely wonderful.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:11 PM

2,905 posts, read 2,001,020 times
I used to tell europeans that California feels like a combo of Spain/Switzerland/morocco(geography-weather wise) You agree with that, tstieber?

Check these maps, tieber. Impressive valley warmth for early january hi, chim

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 01-10-2019 at 07:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento