Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2015, 10:35 PM

41 posts, read 68,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Your description of Sacramento as "hotter than hades" makes me wonder what my current town (Phoenix) is? What's MUCH hotter than Hades? haha.

I think as long as people have at least a few comfortable seasons, they're likely to put up with several very uncomfortable seasons (examples: Phoenix, Chicago, Houston, Minneapolis, etc.)

I think Sac's uncomfortable seasons are relatively mild compared to the above cities' uncomfortable seasons. I mean, your summer nights are actually COOL! How great is that?
Outside of Phoenix I personally could never live in those places. Houston is ungodly humid, Chicago is humid in the summer and freezing in the winter, and Min is an icebox half the yr. Phoenix is no picnic but at least the winters are nice and it's not humid. I live in central IL now.and it's a similar climate as Chicago where u have 3-4 months of decent weather per yr, April-May and Sept-Oct. and in the summer it is hot and humid and there are bugs everywhere. I am so happy to be moving to Sac in a month, just before the crummy winter really sets in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 02:55 AM

6,871 posts, read 8,163,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
but in all my time in this area, it in no way has ever compared with the central san joaquin valley. IMO, as a CSJV girl, Sacramento had tule fog light.
Try telling that to people on the coast especially Bay Area folks, they think the Central Valley is exactly the same, all 450 miles of it.

You are correct, the San Joaquin Valley has worse fog than Sacramento.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:27 AM

Some temps to compare Sacramento with on the west coast. Winter weather.

11:15pm

San Diego - 61F

Los Angeles - 57F

San Francisco - 50F - Rain

San Jose - 50F - Rain

Sacramento - 45F - Rain coming within the hour

Seattle - 37F - Rain

Portland - 31F - Rain/Snow

Old 01-04-2016, 03:06 AM

189 posts, read 296,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Some temps to compare Sacramento with on the west coast. Winter weather.

11:15pm

San Diego - 61F

Los Angeles - 57F

San Francisco - 50F - Rain

San Jose - 50F - Rain

Sacramento - 45F - Rain coming within the hour

Seattle - 37F - Rain

Portland - 31F - Rain/Snow
Sacramento's weather is not that bad; even when it's really hot in the summer, the dry air cools down at night. The bigger issue with the Sacto region is the lack of cultural amenities and maybe an over abundance of hick and ghetto culture, with the rest simply being mostly scrappy suburban culture. The cities mentioned above all have a certain sophistication and sparkle to them that lends some charm and excitement to living near the coast. I love the trees in Sacramento, and appreciate the peaceful serenity in neighborhoods like Land Park. I also like the look and feel of Mid-town. But i don't know if the weather is the crucial factor that would dissuade people from living there, especially if they are looking for a city with more going on culturally.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranova View Post
Sacramento's weather is not that bad; even when it's really hot in the summer, the dry air cools down at night. The bigger issue with the Sacto region is the lack of cultural amenities and maybe an over abundance of hick and ghetto culture, with the rest simply being mostly scrappy suburban culture. The cities mentioned above all have a certain sophistication and sparkle to them that lends some charm and excitement to living near the coast. I love the trees in Sacramento, and appreciate the peaceful serenity in neighborhoods like Land Park. I also like the look and feel of Mid-town. But i don't know if the weather is the crucial factor that would dissuade people from living there, especially if they are looking for a city with more going on culturally.
Interesting response. This thread is about Sacramento's weather and comparing it accurately with weather across the nation and other parts of California.

But I feel compelled to respond to your other comments.

Ghetto culture is 50 times bigger in LA than Sacramento.

Hick culture: Sacramento's "hicks" are educated outdoor enthusiasts, the kind that ski, kayak, fish and hunt, drive big trucks and AWD hybrids, teach firearms safety, and camp a lot -- I rather like Sacramento "hicks".

Scrappy suburban culture = 2/3 of Southern California.

Sacramento has it's own charm and culture; Sacramento is a lot smaller than the other cities mentioned, culturally we are just one small step below Portland. Sacramento's sophistication level is understated just how we like it.

Portland is not on the coast - some 80 miles from it.

10:30pm Jan 5, 2016
Portland - 36F / Sacramento - 48F / San Diego - 58F

Last edited by Chimérique; 01-06-2016 at 12:53 AM..

Old 01-06-2016, 12:48 AM

So far Sacramento is having a normal winter, The rain is back and it's chilly. But we are still slightly below average at 6 inches of rain since Oct 1. It has been a lot more cloudy overall than the past 3 years of drought. But still not a lot of fog.

Up the hill, the Sierra's ski resorts are averaging 180 inches of snow which is plenty for good skiing. The snow started early this year, and i was able to ski the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Interesting response. This thread is about Sacramento's weather and comparing it accurately with weather across the nation and other parts of California.

Ghetto culture is 50 times bigger in LA than Sacramento.

Hick culture: Sacramento's "hicks" are educated outdoor enthusiasts, the kind that ski, kayak, fish and hunt, drive big trucks and AWD hybrids, teach firearms safety, and camp a lot -- I rather like Sacramento "hicks".

Scrappy suburban culture = 2/3 of Southern California.

Sacramento has it's own charm and culture; Sacramento is a lot smaller than the other cities mentioned, culturally we are just one small step below Portland. Sacramento's sophistication level is understated just how we like it.

Portland is not on the coast - some 80 miles from it.

10:30pm Jan 5, 2016
Portland - 36F / Sacramento - 48F / San Diego - 58F
This thread is about comparing the weather of Sacto with other cities, but weather is not the only factor that people consider before moving-- and moving to new cities is one of the main reasons people use City-Data.

The ghetto culture in LA may be 50 times bigger than in Sacramento, but the beautiful and sophisticated regions of LA & Orange County are also 200 times bigger than those of Sacramento. I visit Sacto every year, and have considered moving there as an affordable place to retire. I agree with you about the weather-- it's better in Sacramento than most parts of the country. And yes, Sacto does have it's own unique charm and some pretty cool pubs to hang out in. For me the problem is that the ghetto and suburban culture seem to be more visible and prevalent in Sacramento overall than in the West Coast cities which you compare temperatures. It's fine if that's how you like it, but not everyone is ok with that.

Being the Capital city of the largest state in the country, Sacramento is going to have some level of sophistication and cultural amenities, but just not in the same league or diversity (if i have to explain it you wouldn't understand). There is also a certain amount of "brain drain" in places like Sacramento because of the competition from places like San Diego, LA, Bay Area, Portland, and Seattle. I came to California as an "educated hick" from Michigan, so i know all about the charms of that lifestyle. If you don't want to live among lots of hipsters and high home prices, then Sacramento would be a good option. So -- i am just adding another dimension to your weather thread, and taking it to the next level by weighing weather, culture and demographics. Hope you don't mind.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:20 AM

572 posts, read 592,349 times
Quote:

Quote:
That's putting it a bit too kindly. There are plenty of outdoor enthusiasts but there are plenty of low class trash that end up at the river on a summer afternoon drinking, smoking, and throwing garbage wherever they feel like.

Quote:
Sacramento has it's own charm and culture
For sure.

Quote:
The ghetto culture in LA may be 50 times bigger than in Sacramento, but the beautiful and sophisticated regions of LA & Orange County are also 200 times bigger than those of Sacramento ... For me the problem is that the ghetto and suburban culture seem to be more visible and prevalent in Sacramento overall than in the West Coast cities which you compare temperatures. It's fine if that's how you like it, but not everyone is ok with that.
Yeah but the whole LA area is way bigger that the Sacramento area including the areas with ghetto/hick culture. The inland empire, east LA, south-central have ghetto/hick culture in abundance. A summer's day in Huntingdon Beach you'll see the same kind of trash drinking, smoking and throwing garbage wherever as you would on the American river in Sacramento.

Depending on where you live in LA I guess those elements may appear more prevalent in Sac. It is much less segregated for better and worse.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS_15 View Post
That's putting it a bit too kindly. There are plenty of outdoor enthusiasts but there are plenty of low class trash that end up at the river on a summer afternoon drinking, smoking, and throwing garbage wherever they feel like.

For sure.

Yeah but the whole LA area is way bigger that the Sacramento area including the areas with ghetto/hick culture. The inland empire, east LA, south-central have ghetto/hick culture in abundance. A summer's day in Huntingdon Beach you'll see the same kind of trash drinking, smoking and throwing garbage wherever as you would on the American river in Sacramento.

Depending on where you live in LA I guess those elements may appear more prevalent in Sac. It is much less segregated for better and worse.
There is a vast difference in the socio-economics between the Inland Empire cities (or Sacramento) and the coastal cities -- Not much ghetto in the whole swath of the West Side of LA (including Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Brentwood, Westwood, Holmby Hills, Bel Air, Beverly Hills, Hancock Park, Cheviot Hills, Century City, West Hollywood, Culver City, Manhattan Beach, Westchester, Play Del Rey, and Marina Del Rey.
A quick look at Redfin (or Google Maps) will bear this out: (and the weather's pretty good too)
https://www.redfin.com/neighborhood/...1&market=socal

Old 01-06-2016, 12:52 PM

572 posts, read 592,349 times
Quote:
There is a vast difference in the socio-economics between the Inland Empire cities (or Sacramento) and the coastal cities -- Not much ghetto in the whole swath of the West Side of LA (including Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Brentwood, Westwood, Holmby Hills, Bel Air, Beverly Hills, Hancock Park, Cheviot Hills, Century City, West Hollywood, Culver City, Manhattan Beach, Westchester, Play Del Rey, and Marina Del Rey.
A quick look at Redfin (or Google Maps) will bear this out: (and the weather's pretty good too)
https://www.redfin.com/neighborhood/...1&market=socal
Yes those are some nice wealthy areas for sure. I won't argue with you on that. If you can afford to live in Malibu or Marina Del Rey you probably aren't considering a move to Sacramento. Coastal southern California has some of the most pleasant weather on the planet. And some of the most expensive real estate in America.

I would say there's plenty of a ghetto/trashy element that you'll find in Santa Monica, Venice beach, West Hollywood area. Maybe not all living in the neighborhoods - but certainly hanging out.

Anyhoo - don't want to hijack this weather thread too much. I'm loving the weather in Sacramento. We've had some crisp, beautiful clear days at the end of December and now most importantly we are getting a good run of steady rain in the valley and good snowfall in the Sierra. Awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento